☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 111 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. I've always considered "Love Me Harder" to be a solid, competent 8 but, after enduring "off the table", it sounds like an 11, kii.

RMK, happiestgirl, londonrain and 3 others like this.
  2. I don't mind off off the table as such, but it does feel a bit of a letdown in comparison.

londonrain likes this.
  3. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

We still have one song kicking around with no 11s.

And yet it's outlasted this song, which has five 11s.

[​IMG]
    ☁️ THINKING BOUT YOU☁️

Average: 9.154

Had my eyes rolling back
    Had me arching my back
    Now you love me so good
    I wish you would hurry up and come back

High: 11x5 (@Sprockrooster, @AllGagaLike, @fatyoshi, @Crisp X, @Sail On), 10x30 (@dylanaber, @2014, @chrismoyer, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @pop3blow2, @junkos, @myblood, @BreatheBox, @Vitamin, @Espeon, @Mushroom, @maikos87, @ufint, @Serg., @Laura Vanderbooben, @aaronhansome, @TwistedInnocence, @Sanctuary, @Slice of Life, @SophiaSophia, @Vixen, @reputation., @Petty Mayonnaise, @Cutlery, @sapnu puas, @Music Is Death, @Butterfly, @Mirwais Ahmadzaï, @OspreyQueen, @Blond)
    Low: 3 x 1 (@slaybellz)
    Total Points: 668.25

The next lowest score for this was a pair of 6s, so the 3 from @slaybellz is certainly... interesting. Also, today I learned that this was co-written by Peter Svensson from the Cardigans, who also co-wrote Sometimes, Touch It, Focus, Bad Idea and Breathin'. His work for other artists includes co-writing Bloom for Troye Sivan, I Really Like You for Carly Rae Jepsen, Rock n Roll for Avril Lavigne, Glassheart for Leona Lewis, Come Along for Titiyo and Little By Little for former M2M member Marion Raven (please go and stan the M2M rate that @pop3blow2 is working so hard on).

He also co-wrote Meghan Trainor's Me Too, which is one of maybe two decent songs by her, so there's that.

@Milotic (7.5) - She sounds great on this, and the production is ethereal. However, the chorus drags this down for me a bit. If that was stronger, this song would be an 8.

@RUNAWAY (9.5) - so beautiful. It really takes my breath away.

@Music Is Death (10) - This is such a beautiful song. I really don’t have much else to say. Just that. A beautiful song, a beautiful closer with amazing production and perfect vocals from Ari.

@daninternational (9) - Lyrics are a bit basic but it's a tune

@pop3blow2 (10) - A fave on this album. It’s a great collection of a lot of simple ideas & melodies arranged into a quite a little gem of a song.

@DJHazey (9) - This is still the gem between her two more restrained closers. I love how the stuttered melody in the chorus reminds me of Fifth harmony's The Life but this is a better song. Two of my favorite albums of 2016 so the similarity always stuck with me.

@superultra (9) - C’mon, vocals!

@Cutlery (10) - It's still euphoric like other masterpieces in Dangerous Woman, but what I appreciate is the more understated feel of its verses, like there's only a couple steps from becoming a beautiful electronic ballad.

@chrismoyer (10) - Masterpiece number three! Besides Touch It, and Honeymoon Ave, this 110% needs to be the highest rated album track by FAR. This honestly deserves to win. It's absolutely GORGEOUS closer to the album. The song almost makes me cry and is just so damn powerful, that bridge and final chorus, WHEW!! Career highlight! It’s so euphoric. May this song always be magical and ethereal. As someone on reddit did say, the 1-2-3 punch of Touch It, Knew Better / Forever Boy, and Thinking Bout You is my favorite ending to an album.

@fatyoshi (11) - An ethereal classic. Love ending an album with a severe emotional punch.

@reputation. (10) - I would give this a 11 if we were allowed to give more than one. It’s so euphoric. So angelic. Breathtakingly gorgeous.

@Crisp X (11) - I… think this is her masterpiece. Her best song, her best closer, her most impressive and emotional performance, all in all showcased through the best production. This crosses the line between a bop and a ballad, the lush instrumental with the layers and layers of production just inspire me so much. This always feels too short to the point I have to put it on repeat everytime. I feel drained when this ends, like I've been on an entire journey. A classic.

@Sprockrooster (11) - Despite it being a 10 nonetheless, this would not have been an 11 without Manchester. There is so much comfort in this song. The power that she has to make sure her music is connectable on a level like that. I had to 11 this. One Love was magnificent and though I understand One Last Time is easier to link to that. Thinking Bout You was the go to song when the attacks just happened and it will always be. Perhaps I would have 11'ed Somewhere Over The Rainbow if it was added to the rate, but this honestly has the power to fill those shoes.

Jonathan27, GimmeWork, Vixen and 32 others like this.
  4. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

[​IMG]

5. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

If @slaybellz had given this a 6 like @ysev and @blaze_dave (our next lowest scorers) did, Thinking Bout You would have been our #8 song, overtaking the song that has no 11s.

Does that help?

No?

[​IMG]

6. Suddenly I am no longer sad I handed out a 2,0 for New Rules in @slaybellz rate. Cause damn wtf.

7. I'm not even sorry.

[​IMG]

8. One of her most beautiful songs I think this.

MilesAngel and londonrain like this.
  9. I personally think the song is boring and literally anything in the top 20 deserved it's spot more.

londonrain likes this.
  10. Ugh I wish I had enter this rate so I could give this my 11.

The last minute is PERFECTION and I am concerned for anyone who does not hear it.

11. this rate really suffered from people needing to be controversial for the sake of it huh

Crisp X and londonrain like this.
  12. BUT AT LEAST I HAVE THE MEMORYYYY
    [​IMG]

13. I will not accept the narrative that "Love Me Harder" is anything less than top 5 Ariana.

Ugly Beauty likes this.
  14. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

So... that song with no 11s?

Time for it to go.

[​IMG]
    ☁️BAD IDEA☁️

Average: 9.185

I've been outta sight
    I've been worried 'bout you lately
    Runnin' outta time
    Wishin' you would come and save me

High: 10x36 (@2014, @soratami, @AllGagaLike, @savilizabeths, @GimmeWork, @DJHazey, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @RMK, @lemonsqueezyy, @junkos, @Espeon, @ufint, @daninternational, @Milotic, @Laura Vanderbooben, @livefrommelbs, @elektroxx, @TwistedInnocence, @Robsolete, @Sanctuary, @slaybellz, @Crisp X, @Slice of Life, @138Prince, @Vixen, @SlowGinFizzzz, @reputation., @Petty Mayonnaise, @Remorque, @Cutlery, @Endothelium, @superultra, @japanbonustrack, @Music Is Death, @citoig, @Sail On)
    Low: 5x2 (@fatyoshi, @Sprockrooster)
    Total Points: 670.5

It's goodbye to one of the two remaining tracks from Thank U, Next, leaving Ghostin' as the last remaining song from the album. Bad Idea is one of the tracks that picked up steam without ever being released as a single, making it to the top ten in Greece, Hungary, Slovakia and Lithuania, and scoring a #27 placement on the Hot 100. Despite not charting on the official UK singles chart, it peaked at #54 on the download chart and #12 on the streaming chart, ultimately earning a silver certification.

@RUNAWAY (7.5) - I like the orchestral part in the last minute, but nothing else really clicks for me.

@reputation. (10) - One of the best songs on the album. That orchestral bridge/outro are pure excellence. ARI-CHAN!!

@pop3blow2 (9.5) - This could almost be a Police song. That is a huge compliment. Maybe I should 10 this. I just don't know.

@daninternational (10) - My issue with this album was the lack of Ariana-uptempos, this is the closest we get and it's great

@Milotic (10) - Another 10/10 hoe anthem. The production is the highlight for me here, and I love how the song completely changes it's mood within the last minute.

@chrismoyer (9) - Great song! I know some people are divisive on the bridge and ending on this one, but I personally LOVE IT! It’s one of those WOW moments in her songs! The performances on tour too were so iconic and badass! Just feels like a massive song.

@Crisp X (10) - Somebody That I Used To Know’s dark twisted twin. That guitar lick pops up in my head all the time. And the strings… The instrumental reprise goes off so hard too.

@Cutlery (10) - She's well aware that absolutely nothing wrong can come from having some eclectic, climatic orchestral strings sweep through your track, huh? The effortless emotionally vacant thot hymn underneath it all is catchy and even includes one of her most memorable hooks ever, cause like, nobody can forget ARI-CHAN.

@superultra (10) - Cindy, this is excellence. Should’ve been a single!

@GimmeWork (10) - This is top 5 Ari for me. The way it has an airy 80’s quality with the plucking riff but also feels completely current with the accompanying rattling beat is just sublime. I will be forever irrationally upset that this didn’t become a single.

@DJHazey (10) - Another part of the Holy Trinity on this album, even if I consider it the younger sister to the other two -- but don't let that fool you because it goes the frig off too. That flow with "forget about it, yeah, forget about him, yeah, forget about me" is so dynamic.

@SlowGinFizzzz (10) - That fake ending, the production switch-up, and the extended outro blew my mind the first time I heard this song. Still blows my mind, actually.

@Music Is Death (10) - This is another career highlight on an album full of them. The slightly dark poppy production with low-key trappy undertones just works so damn well with her, the melody is catchy as FUCK and the lyrics are so damn relatable. Then there’s that fucking orchestral moment of whatever in the middle of the song leading into the chorus again which comes back in the outro…she’s coming for wigs y’all. The outro itself also bops. Okay, time to be honest about something: I’ve been kind of slutty the past year, even without actual hookups. I mean, there were quite a few, but not as many as there could have been, especially if you add up the amount of people I actually talked to. And I originally dismissed it as me just taking the chance to finally explore my sexuality and that part of me, even as it was going on, and while for a lot of people that’s all it is, it wasn’t for me. I’ve really taken the time to think about my decisions and what I was doing and I’ve realized that I was using those guy’s attraction to me to validate who I was, because they helped me ignore my own issues with my mental health, as well as helped inflate my self-esteem – which had always been low, especially when it came to my looks - with empty compliments, because they made me feel wanted, and they helped me numb the pain that I should’ve been facing. So every single part of this song pulls at that part of who I am and makes him wanna curl up in a ball and cry while the rest of me wants to bop and sing along. So thanks for that Ari.

15. You could legit teach a college music theory class around Ariana's music. Not many BPGs can say that.

Also, I should've tenned this one.

16. You just had to use my commentary for the title huh?
    Thanks xx.

17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

[​IMG]

Laurence, GimmeWork, RUNAWAY and 4 others like this.
  18. Ok but that's even worse. Some things are just best forgotten.

19. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Bump.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.