☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 112 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

We're down to four albums being represented in the rate: My Everything, Dangerous Woman, Sweetener and Thank U, Next.

My Everything and Thank U, Next are clinging on with only a single track each.

After this elimination...

...all four albums will still be represented.

[​IMG]
    ☁️TOUCH IT☁️

Average: 9.264

How do you know I'm breathing, when I'm holding my breath?
    Why don't we face the danger just for the night and forget?
    Baby, let's just forget

High: 11x2 (@stoicist, @CorgiCorgiCorgi), 10x37 (@dylanaber, @Sprockrooster, @soratami, @chrismoyer, @savilizabeths, @Dijah., @GimmeWork, @DJHazey, @RMK, @Aester, @fatyoshi, @junkos, @Vitamin , @Espeon, @Holly Something, @maikos87, @ufint, @daninternational, @Serg., @Hurricane Drunk, @aaronhansome, @TwistedInnocence, @Robsolete, @Slice of Life, @SophiaSophia, @138Prince, @Vixen, @reputation., @Remorque, @Laurence, @Cutlery, @Endothelium, @superultra, @sapnu puas, @Music Is Death, @OspreyQueen, @citoig)
    Low: 5x1 (@slaybellz)
    Total Points: 676.25

Comfortably ahead of Bad Idea is Touch It, a song that actually spawned its own Change.org petition from a pressed fan who lobbied for it to be released as a single instead of Everyday. "Amado G." said:

I believe that we, the general public, should have an input on what is heard on the radio. 'Everyday' is heavily repetitive, showcasing very little lyrical diversity. On the contrary, 'Touch It' is a euphonious masterpiece that comprises her best lyrics and showcases Grande's range in a way that none of her singles have managed to before. If this song was to be the fifth single, the music video concept should be reminiscent of Katy Perry's 'The One That Got Away' in a sense that it tells a story of the longing of a significant other.

The petition got 32 signatures.

Then again, maybe Amado made some points, given that Touch It is your second favourite song from Dangerous Woman, having outlasted Side To Side, Everyday and the title track, as well as the orphaned single/Japanese bonus track Focus. This leaves the album with only one song in the running, despite it having been voted overall as your favourite album. Are we about to see a totally Dangerous Woman-free top five?

A lot of your commentary gave me
    [​IMG]

@Holly Something (10) - Incredible.

@Dijah. (10) - Perfection.

@superultra (10) - Immaculate.

@CorgiCorgiCorgi (11) - Those synths!

@TwistedInnocence (10) - That note!!!!!!

@Milotic (9) - The production on this is just sublime.

@Laurence (10) - Fantastic. I love it.

@pop3blow2 (8.5) - This chorus gets stuck in my head.

@stoicist (11) - The bass synths, the vocals, the complexity, how could I not.

@daninternational (10) - YT comments tells me that Ariana said this is boring? Blasphemy

@RUNAWAY (9.5) - I know, I know, not giving a ten to this song is pretty much blasphemous, but I just...don’t love this nearly as much as everyone else. Her voice is insane on this song, and that high note at the end is incredible, but the chorus just feels kind of lazily written when it comes down to it.

@Music Is Death (10) - This song deserved so much more. It’s straight up perfection. That chorus alone ends other artist’s careers. That melody!!! I can never get enough of this. Honestly deserves the same level of praise that Into You gets. It’s just as amazing, between the production, the chorus, the melody, the lyrics, her voice…just perfection, and an extreme 11 contender.

@Cutlery (10) - The absolute drama she mantains throughout the song... More than a song, an experience. No choice left but to revere it as one of her finest moments ever. It has that buildup energy that I just love about electropop bangers. The bridge switches it up enough in a quieter way to come back at full force in the end.

@Crisp X (9) - This is very Ciara, self-titled album era, and I don’t understand why this wasn’t a single either. It sounds both like 2004 and 2016. The background synths even give me trance vibes, which makes me wonder what an actual song in that genre would sound like from Ariana?

@reputation. (10) - The bridge and outro are heavenly. It’s like Into You’s darker sister? This song is just so brilliant. The fact that it got bonus track treatment is a kii.

@chrismoyer (10) - Masterpiece! This better be (besides Honeymoon Ave), the highest ranked album track. The song is just everything and perfection all in one. The vocals are outstanding, the production is otherworldly, and those last 30 seconds of the song could single handedly be the best moment in an Ariana Grande song. Period.

@Sprockrooster (10) - I have said it multiple times before, but that Final Fantasy Mix is an 11-contender. We desperately need more miss Grande. And more importantly we want it on spotify.

@DJHazey (10) - Honestly this might be my favorite song on this album. It's certainly one of the most atmospheric tunes Ariana has ever recorded, in my opinion. The chorus does bring me into that zone for damn sure. That late-night melody ripped straight from the sex scene of a late 90s softcore flick but one that actually had a plot and the love-making that occurred really felt earned. I know it sounds weird and all (yeah I'm strange, so what?), but it's because I feel the passion oozing from the audio when the chorus play. A heated encounter plays out between two lovers, who's relationship was on the ropes just hours before and now they're tearing each other part as they try give the other person more pleasure than they're receiving. Oop, sorry I just go off sometimes.

2. Alright. Mission accomplished.

Milotic and londonrain like this.
  3. @londonrain scream at the thread title and Monifah tie in. A classic 10 is in the house!
    [​IMG]

elektroxx, londonrain and slaybellz like this.
  4. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

soratami, elektroxx and GimmeWork like this.
  5. Oh yeah. I wrote that. *hides*

6. Think the last couple of eliminations were just about right considering how strong the remaining songs are.

londonrain likes this.
  7. Remind me why we're taking a break
    It's obviously insane
    'Cause we both know what we want
    So why don't we fall in love?

[​IMG]

That bridge is probably my favorite of all her bridges ever. Pure perfection.

8. Had i voted would have been my 11 without doubt. Quite possibly one of my all time favourites. ‘A masterpiece’ would be an understatement

love this remix too

londonrain likes this.
  9. I'd love to see Ghostin' complete her Holy Trinity and become her next winner's rate song.

10. Only two 11's for my fave, I'm kind of shocked. But I'm very ok with it having made top 7, especially with all the similar comments about what a stunner it is. Ain't nobody gonna touch it.

londonrain likes this.
  11. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

So we're down to six songs remaining.

If Breathin' exits, it means none of the songs Peter Svensson from the Cardigans co-wrote are in the top five.

If Ghostin' leaves us, then that means our top five is made up entirely of singles, and also that there are no tracks from Thank U, Next in the top five.

If One Last Time leaves us, it means My Everything is not represented in the top five, and it means that nothing from before 2016 is in the top five.

If Into You leaves us, it means Dangerous Woman is not represented in the top five, despite winning the poll for the forum's favourite Ariana album - and it also means that we have no singles in the top five that missed the UK top ten.

If No Tears Left To Cry leaves us, it means we have no lead singles in the top five.

If God Is A Woman is eliminated, it means that none of Ariana's Grammy-nominated songs have made it to the top five.

So which is it?

[​IMG]
    ☁️ONE LAST TIME☁️

Average: 9.332

Can't you forgive me?
    At least just temporarily
    I know that this is my fault
    I should've been more careful

High: 11x5 (@Ugly Beauty, @daninternational, @livefrommelbs, @sapnu puas, @citoig), 10x39 (@Sprockrooster, @2014, @AllGagaLike, @chrismoyer, @savilizabeths, @GimmeWork, @DJHazey, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @pop3blow2, @Dangerous Maknae, @junkos, @myblood, @Vitamin, @Espeon, @Holly Something, @CorgiCorgiCorgi, @maikos87, @ufint, @aux, @aaronhansome, @VitaminBee, @Robsolete, @RUNAWAY, @Sanctuary, @slaybellz, @Crisp X, @Slice of Life, @SophiaSophia, @Vixen, @SlowGinFizzzz, @reputation., @Remorque, @Laurence, @blaze_dave, @Endothelium, @superultra, @Music Is Death, @Mirwais Ahmadzaï, @Sail On)
    Low: 4x1 (@Aester)
    Total Points: 681.25

Our final song to fall before the top five is our last remaining song not to have been co-written by Ariana herself, instead being written by the all-star lineup of David Guetta, Savan Kotecha, Giorgio Tuinfort, Carl Falk and Rami Yacoub, who have countless smash hits between them as writers and producers. It was originally released in August 2014 as the second promo single from My Everything, before getting an official release in February 2015 as the fifth and final single from the album. It became the only single from the album to miss the top 10 in the US, peaking at #13. It also underperformed on release in the UK, peaking at #24 and becoming the second single to miss the top 20 there, after Love Me Harder (which I think didn't actually get a proper release in the UK as radio was still playing Bang Bang at the time). In France and Italy the song was promoted with the release of duet versions with French singer Kendji Girac and Italian rapper Fedez respectively. (In France, the duet version, which appeared on the deluxe edition of Kendji's debut album, charted separately from the solo version, peaking at #11 - one place lower than the solo version's peak.)

One Last Time was the subject of a couple of plagiarism allegations: first in 2015 when Australian group Safia made a Facebook post alleging that the music video for One Last Time was "straight up stolen" from the video for their 2014 single You Are The One, and again in 2016 when a lawsuit was filed by songwriter Alex Greggs alleging similarities between One Last Time and the a song he wrote called Takes All Night, which was recorded and released by Skye Stevens in 2012. The chorus of Takes All Night is:

Cause baby if it takes all night
    I'm taking you home
    And baby if it takes all night
    Up in this club

And I can't let it stop, stop
    This feeling I've got, got
    It's telling me you could, could be the one
    So baby if it takes all night
    I'm taking you home

After Manchester Arena was bombed during Ariana's concert there in 2017, there was a fan campaign to get One Last Time to #1 as an homage to the victims, with some pushing for it to be #1 for 22 weeks in homage to the 22 lives lost. (A slightly odd choice given that the lyrics are about Ariana wanting an ex to reunite with her for one night even though he's in a new relationship, but werk, I guess.) Ariana re-released the single digitally, with 76p of each 99p download going to the We Love Manchester emergency fund. The song ultimately peaked at #2, losing out to the then-ubiquitous Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee track Despacito, which claimed a fifth week at #1.

@Butterfly (7) - This never clicked with me and I don’t know why at all. On paper, it’s a great song, I just never connected. I much prefer Alice Chater’s Thief which is OLT 2.0.

@pop3blow2 (10) - One of the first Ariana songs that really perked up my ears. Still sounds great.

@blaze_dave (10) - this was the song that got Ariana Grande on my radar and loved instantly

@Milotic (9) - I've played the life out of this, and as a result, I feel like my opinion has soured towards it a bit, but man, what a song.

@Sprockrooster (10) - Even more powerful now, than upon release.

@Crisp X (10) - One of her best songs. The hook is infectious.

@BreatheBox (9) - I remember crying the first time listening to it on my bunk bed at 5am...yas! But the mv is uglee.

@DJHazey (10) - Listening to the flawlessly decimating melodies in this song, ugh it just brings me back to this era when she could seemingly do nothing wrong. Anybody who doesn't cite this is pop perfection is deaf. The mixture of Ari's soaring and hopeful sounding vocals and the desperation of the topic at hand (combined with the video) is a moment.

@reputation. (10) - An absolute classic. Will forever be one of my favorite songs from her.

@Holly Something (10) - An incredible song, a potential 11 contender if I didn't love my 11 as much as I do.

@superultra (10) - I didn’t care for this song when the album first dropped, so the way this unexpectedly grew on me still surprises me. It’s gorgeous and heartfelt. I think the Manchester incident really revealed the beauty and sentiment of this song to me. Stunning.

@Music Is Death (10) - WHY THE FUCK DID THIS FLOP?! American showing their lack of taste once again. The only single from this I didn’t know/hadn’t heard before listening to the album. The drums in the production are everything, and that chorus just soars. It’s perfection.

@RUNAWAY (10) - what was already a beautiful song, took on a whole new meaning after Manchester. The performance of this song at One Love was such a beautiful moment.

@chrismoyer (10) - A gorgeous EDM pop masterpiece. This song will never be the same with the meaning for Manchester now and it will always be special and powerful. Beautiful song.

@TwistedInnocence (9) - I always loved this song but, due to the events in Manchester, its now even more special!

@daninternational (11) - It was always beautiful but after MCR it took on another meaning for me. Breathtaking and I never ever tire of it

@Ugly Beauty (11) - such a beautiful, emotional song, the way it took a different meaning after the attack at her concert in Manchester is quite touching.

@livefrommelbs (11) - There were countless songs I could've given my 11 to - particularly Into You and Break Free - but I decided to give top honours to the incredible One Last Time. In the context of Ariana's entire discography, it really does shine through as a beautifully-written and sung piece of pop music. There's such a pathos in Ari's voice in this that just sells the whole thing so powerfully. You feel every word in your bones, and if you've ever been in a situation similar to the song's story it can almost feel like you're being hit by a freight train of FEELS. Factor in the heartbreaking reframing of the song after the Manchester tragedy and One Last Time really does highlight how profoundly impactful a well-crafted pop song could be. A masterpiece.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  12. My ideal Top 5 now would be:

1. Ghostin'
    2. No Tears Left To Cry
    3. Into You
    4. Breathin'
    5. God Is A Woman

I would've loved to see One Last Time in the Top 5/3 over GIAW but it is what it is!

13. I couldn't even remember if I'd written commentary for my 11 as I've kind of failed to keep up with this rate, but I stand but what I said all those months back. It's the pathos in Ari's vocal that makes this God(is a woman) Tier Grande for me. Just a beautifully-sung, melodically-excellent track. That she managed to find the heart in a subject matter that's clearly got body-ody-ody on the brain is a testatement to her powers as a pop titan.

londonrain likes this.
  14. That's a bulletproof top five.
    It should go something like this...
    5. Breathin'

4. Into You

3. God Is A Woman

2. Ghostin'

NO

TEARS
    LEFT
    TO
    CRY

londonrain and Milotic like this.
  15. 1. Breathin'
    2. God Is A Woman
    3. No Tears Left To Cry
    4. Into You
    5. Ghostin'

londonrain likes this.
  16. 5.God Is A Woman
    4.Ghostin’
    3.Breathin’
    2.Into You
    1.No Tears Left To Cry

But One Last Time should’ve made it over GIAW (even though I love it).

londonrain likes this.
  17. I honestly don't think Breathin and God is a Woman should be there over Touch It and Goodnight n Go, the single effect strikes again. I hope the top 3 goes like this:

3. Into You
    2. No Tears Left to Cry
    1. Ghostin

blaze_dave and londonrain like this.
  18. Yeah I would've had God Is a Woman miss the Top 5 despite loving it as well, just not as a 10.

5. God Is a Woman
    4. Breathin'
    3. Into You
    2. No Tears Left to Cry
    1. Ghostin'

londonrain likes this.
  19. 5. God is a Woman (the outro is incredible but I just wish it was longer)
    4. Breathin’
    3. Into You
    2. Ghostin’
    1. No Tears Left to Cry

londonrain likes this.
  20. Oh, I totally missed this! A shame because I know her discography inside out (stream on Spotify).

Great to see Thinkin Bout You in the Top 10 though, it's a pleasant surprise that it's so loved. bad idea is.... cute but doesn't feel like Top 10 material in a discography over songs such as Honeymoon Avenue, The Way, Best Mistake, Sometimes, Only 1, Side to Side, etc so that's also unexpected.

londonrain likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.