☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 113 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. 2014

2014 Staff Member

God Is A Woman is waaaaay out of it's depth fff.

2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Well, Breathin' and God Is A Woman ended up being surprisingly divisive, huh?

Is one of them actually going to leave next, or is Thank U, Next or Dangerous Woman about to follow My Everything out of the rate?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ☁️GOD IS A WOMAN☁️

Average: 9.421

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger
    Those who attempt to poison and destroy my sisters
    And you will know my name is the Lord
    When I lay my vengeance upon you

High: 11x2 (@myblood, @Sanctuary), 10x42 (@dylanaber, @Sprockrooster, @soratami, @savilizabeths, @GimmeWork, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Dangerous Maknae, @junkos, @Vitamin, @Espeon, @Holly Something, @Ugly Beauty, @maikos87, @ufint, @daninternational, @aux, @Milotic, @Laura Vanderbooben, @aaronhansome, @elektroxx, @TwistedInnocence, @Robsolete, @RUNAWAY, @Ana Raquel, @slaybellz, @Crisp X, @Slice of Life, @Wired Life, @138Prince, @Vixen, @SlowGinFizzzz, @reputation., @Petty Mayonnaise, @Remorque, @Laurence, @Cutlery, @Endothelium, @superultra, @Music Is Death, @Mirwais Ahmadzaï, @OspreyQueen, @Sail On)
    Low: 6x1 (@happiestgirl)
    Total Points: 681.25

After 97 eliminations, Sweetener finally loses a single - and it's God Is A Woman, one of only six songs in Ariana's discography to be nominated for a Grammy Award. (The others are Bang Bang, Dangerous Woman, Boyfriend, Rain on Me and - for some reason - 7 Rings, which scored Ari's only Record of the Year nomination to date.) God Is A Woman lost its nomination for Best Pop Solo Performance to Lady Gaga's Joanne (Where Do You Think You're Goin'?), making it her second of three nominations in that category, which she is yet to win.

One of the most interesting things about God Is A Woman is the epic music video, directed by Dave Meyers, which is rife with symbolism - notably when Ariana smashes a glass ceiling after "God" (voiced by Madonna) utters the speech I quoted above. The speech is a variation on the words of the Biblical passage Ezekiel 25:17, famously quoted as part of a speech by Samuel L. Jackson in the film Pulp Fiction:

Oh, and those backing vocals on the song? They're all Ariana. All of them. Producer Ilya Salmanzadeh layered her vocals so effectively that it sounds like there's an entire choir coming at the end, but Ariana's is the only voice on the record.

@pop3blow2 (8.5) - This one is a weird one for me. I like it. It's good & and I'm on board with the overall messaging. I just got a bit tired of it faster than I thought I would. I don't think it was a great single choice, personally, but whatever. The video was interesting & we got a great MTV performance, so the whole thing was a net gain.

@DJHazey (9) - I used to put this on a pedestal with "no tears left to cry" but I'm thinking my love isn't quite on that level. Nothing against it at all, especially those bouncy verses.

@chrismoyer (8) - I also don’t love this one as much as most people, I find the choruses and verses kind of bland, the part that I mainly only LOVE are the final chorus, and specifically my favorite part, that godly ending.

@Dijah. (9) - My only complaint is that the final chorus and outro with the choir vocals should be longer. I get chills every time at the end.

@Milotic (10) - Like, how is this not a 10? A true pop moment, and THAT VIDEO. Iconic.

@Sprockrooster (10) - UMMM. HELL Yeah. The anthem the world needed and somehow already forgot. A deep sadness.

@SlowGinFizzzz (10) - Incredible, still. It was a cultural reset etc.

@Crisp X (10) - I need to hear more neo soul guitar infused Ariana Grande. This single doesn't only provide that, but also adds R&B, trap, and even gospel elements into the mix. When the choir kicks in for the outro, I get chills all over my body. One of her best songs.

@Laurence (10) - Truly a piece I love. I blasted this during Gay Pride 2018 so much it was insane. That gif with Kermit was a whole mood.

@RUNAWAY (10) - thank god for this song. Something genuinely Ari and genuinely incredible. We deserved this song.

@superultra (10) - The video really elevated this song for me, but it really stands well on its own.

@reputation. (10) - An instant classic. YUH YUH.

@Holly Something (10) - One of her best, and the video is a moment!

@daninternational (10) - Less instant than No Tears, but the music video really lifted this to heaven

@GimmeWork (10) - This ended up being 2nd choice for my 11. WHAT A SONG! The video, the lyrics, the production, HER VOICE! This just fires on all cylinders.

@Music Is Death (10) - God what a perfect pop song this one is. From the catchy as fuck chorus, to the “I’m in charge” lyrics of the verses, to the self-empowering pre-chorus, then back to the chorus – with HANDCLAPS! – then finishing up with a fucking gospel choir, and an ascension with Ari’s vocals – just perfection. Honest 11 contender, and I’d be pleasantly surprised if this won.

@Cutlery (10) - The liberation energy from this R&B single is strong and powerful. The verses do that perfect buildup before the fast-paced pre-chorus, and the acoustic feel of the chorus brings together the silky delivery, very much feminine lyrics and wraps it up in an atmosphere of melancholy? At least it feels that way to me. And the outro, both in auditory and visual form... whew, shivers down my spine everytime.

3. Mess at Breathin outlasting this!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2021
  4. It's really a mess. But then again it's my fault for giving both of them a 10 when I clearly have a favorite between the two.

Milotic, londonrain and Sail On like this.
  5. Wait.

Didn't know this... I'm completely gobsmacked. This would have been my 11 had I known. wow! Just WOW!

Laurence, maikos87, pop3blow2 and 3 others like this.
  6. Okay I'm highkey shocked and happy at this leaving before Breathin'. I actually thought it would be Top 2?

7. Wow, what a couple of shock back to back eliminations that was. Thought One Last Time might even win too.

londonrain likes this.
  8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

So... have all three albums been represented in the top three?

If you go by the top fives people have been posting, you'd think so.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ☁️BREATHIN☁️

Average: 9.497
    Some days, things just take way too much of my energy
    I look up and the whole room's spinning
    You take my cares away
    I can so overcomplicate, people tell me to medicate

High: 11x2 (@RMK, @Remorque), 10x42 (@2014, @Sprockrooster, @chrismoyer, @savilizabeths, @GimmeWork, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @DJHazey, @Dangerous Maknae, @junkos, @Vitamin, @Espeon, @CorgiCorgiCorgi, @Ugly Beauty, @pop3blow2, @boombazookajoe, @lemonsqueezyy, @stoicist, @ufint, @daninternational, @aux, @Milotic, @livefrommelbs, @VitaminBee, @elektroxx, @TwistedInnocence, @Robsolete, @RUNAWAY, @slaybellz, @Slice of Life, @Wired Life, @138Prince, @Vixen, @SlowGinFizzzz, @reputation., @ysev, @Endothelium, @superultra, @japanbonustrack, @sapnu puas, @Music Is Death, @Mirwais Ahmadzaï, @citoig)
    Low: 7.5x3 (@Butterfly, @dylanaber, @Mushroom)
    Total Points: 693.25

After God Is A Woman, Sweetener takes a second hit, and this time it's Breathin, the album's final single. This is one of only two songs in the entire rate not to have received at least one score of 6 or below - and the other one is still in the running.

A song from the perspective of a person trying to find ways to deal with their anxiety, the song has been linked to Ariana's own experience of anxiety and PTSD after the Manchester Arena bombing. The song charted at #22 on the Billboard Hot 100 before even being released as a single, being the highest debut of nine entries from Sweetener that charted in the week of the album's release. Following its release as a single, Breathin went on to peak at #12, spending a total of 25 weeks on the chart. It also became her third consecutive UK top 10 single from Sweetener, peaking at #8 and being certified platinum.

@Crisp X (8.5) - This feels a bit too much like Into You lite, especially in the vocal department. The Breathin' hook remains a moment though.

@Dijah. (9.5) - Coping method anthem!

@Sprockrooster (10) - The big single that never was.

@superultra (10) - This song has rescued me from the woes of overthinking and reminded me to keep myself centered in moments of crisis. I’ve cried to this song a lot.

@RUNAWAY (10) - seriously, this song is my favorite single from this album, and one of my faves from Ari. Periodt. It simultaneously does everything she’s already done, but also does something new, and I live for it every time.

@DJHazey (10) - When everyone got their hands on the album, this was the song we all gravitated to, with reason. At this point you can start calling tracks "classic Ariana" and this checks all those boxes. The "breathin and breathin and breathin" is just classic pop in general and sounds instantly massive.

@reputation. (10) - Ariana hates it so it’s obviously an excellent song. The chorus, the bridge, the electric guitars, her voice.....all incredible. Only No Tears beats this for me.

@daninternational (10) - The only thing that got me through a jetski ride with my ex was singing this to myself non-stop. Literal lifesaver

@Milotic (10) - Another 10, huh? Insanely catchy, relatable, and delivered beautifully. It's been one of my favorites since day one of this album, and has actually helped with some of my anxiety episodes.

@GimmeWork (10) - I feel like Breathin’ doesn’t get the love it deserves arriving as a single so close to Thank U Next and the new era, but it really is such a strong song from the message to her soaring vocals.

@pop3blow2 (10) - My goodness. A mantra, an affirmation, & a way of life.

@chrismoyer (10) - An important song to me, while I’ve listened to it probably thousands of times now, it’s still a gorgeous emotional song for me. It’s helped me and the BB5 she added to it in concert, WOW! The video is also massively underrated.

@Music Is Death (10) - Our amazing host guessed this would be my 11, and if it’s definitely up there as a possibility. My own experiences with anxiety aren’t as intense as others, but I still relate to this on such a deep level that just makes me love it all the more. Add to the fact that it’s another A+ pop song from Max Martin and fam, and other A+ vocal from Ari, and you have one of her best songs right here.

Okay, so this came extremely close to snatching my 11, and was in second place for it. With everything that’s been happening with my school, my assignments, and just life in general, I’ve been extremely anxious, and this song serves as a great reminder that I really just need to breathe. Honestly if I could get away with giving this another 11, I would. But I can’t, and while I ultimately went with another song, I would be ecstatic if this still beats that song or even wins.

9. breathin, has rightfully done extremely well.

slaybellz, reputation. and londonrain like this.
  10. Really shocked to see myself as a low scorer for Breathin'. It's perfectly nice, but I always felt it was a bit beneath her at the time. Various Dangerous Woman album tracks already nailed this sound (and did it better).

11. Sweetener saw Ariana experiment with a lot of different production and sounds (for her anyway) but Breathin' was the track that felt like it was a pure jolt of pure, Arianarific euphoria. It's such a banger.

12. ‘breathin’ is great (despite my very respectable 7.5 making me its lowest scorer ddd) but Top 10 material it ain’t, so seeing it reach the heights of #4 when the likes of ‘NASA’, ‘better off’, ‘Knew Better / Forever Boy’ and ‘Moonlight’ didn’t even come close to Top 10 is... baffling to me.

13. @Sam ddd.

londonrain and Sam like this.
  14. I agree, perfect combination of everything.

londonrain likes this.
  15. Yeah Breathin is very cute but top 4 material it ain't. Happy with that top 3 though, although I'd personally have put Touch It in over Into You.

I listened to Ghostin last night and can confirm it's absolutely as stunning as I remember. I think it deserves to win but I don't trust y'all.

16. Sam

Sam

Not this

londonrain likes this.
  17. Nn the way I've been lurking on the rate since it properly got going and did a triple take when I saw Breathin' was still in. A solid song but seeing the material around it here, it pales in comparison to everything else.

18. Mmmm lemme add ‘Sometimes’ to the list of songs done completely dirty, in your honour.

Mr Blonde, nikkysan, Dijah. and 4 others like this.
  19. "breathin", as immaculately produced and performed a bit of power-pop as it is, belongs nowhere near her top 5 (and I'm surprised to see I was one of its lowest scorers!). It just never hits like I think it tries to, and it's strikingly lacking in personality compared to her other canonised tracks. I'd probably consider it one of her least essential singles.

20. I think how well breathin' did here is as much a testament to how much the song means to many on a personal or emotional level, as much as anything. You can't underestimate that. She perfectly communicates anxiety while still creating a banger. Fully deserving of a top 5, here & I am ecstatic.

Even the video with her pig was perfect, to me. I think some thought she was taking the piss (and maybe she even was a bit), but I know how much my pets calm my anxiety... so featuring one hers for the song really brought me joy. A fave sweetener-era moment.

GimmeWork and londonrain like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.