☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 114 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. The girls can stay pressed about miss Breathin' getting this far but maybe the good sis shouldn't have put it on the Sweetener tracklist just after that disastrous first half [God Is A Woman being excluded from the narrative]. Like, I remember PJ being relieved when we/you reached that point of the album on leak/release day.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Laurence and londonrain like this.
  2. happy to see ghostin' being in the TOP THREE yas!!!!

3. [​IMG]

Of all the places for sweetener discourse I would like to think there'd be room for a bit of nuance in a discography rate!

4. Laurence, collxtion, Blond and 3 others like this.
  5. Nn I was avoiding the first half of this rate for a reason.

Laurence, aaronhansome, Rem and 5 others like this.
  6. The title track going at #79 still makes my blood boil a bit.

Mr Blonde and londonrain like this.
  7. I really hope ghosting’ can come out on top.

Ashling92 and londonrain like this.
  8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Get us to the next page and maybe you'll find out.

elektroxx and soratami like this.
  9. QUICK quiCK!

soratami and londonrain like this.
  10. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Kii.

I was kidding. There's another ten posts to go before the end of the page.

11. Girl.

elektroxx, soratami and londonrain like this.
  12. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Time for our final cut before the grand finale.

It's also time for one of our three remaining albums to exit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ☁️GHOSTIN☁️

Average: 9.623
    Though I wish he were here instead
    Don't want that living in your head
    He just comes to visit me
    When I'm dreaming every now and then

High: 11x6 (@Espeon, @Slice of Life, @reputation., @Petty Mayonnaise, @blaze_dave, @Cutlery), 10x44 (@dylanaber, @2014, @soratami, @AllGagaLike, @chrismoyer, @savilizabeths, @Dijah., @GimmeWork, @DJHazey, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @RMK, @Aester, @pop3blow2, @Dangerous Maknae, @fatyoshi, @myblood, @BreatheBox, @Vitamin, @Holly Something, @Mushroom, @CorgiCorgiCorgi, @maikos87, @ufint, @aux, @aaronhansome, @elektroxx, @TwistedInnocence, @RUNAWAY, @Sanctuary, @Crisp X, @Wired Life, @138Prince, @Vixen, @SlowGinFizzzz, @Remorque, @Laurence, @superultra, @japanbonustrack, @sapnu puas, @Music Is Death, @Butterfly, @Mirwais Ahmadzaï, @Sail On, @Blond)
    Low: 5x1 (@Ana Raquel)
    Total Points: 702.5

Before you all jump on Ms. @Ana Raquel (or our next lowest scorers @VitaminBee and @lemonsqueezyy, who each handed out a 7) for blocking Ghostin's chances of making the top two, I should point out that Ghostin would have needed 22 more points to overtake the song at #2, making the gap between them the second-largest gap between consecutive songs in the whole rate. (The largest gap is the whopping 28 points separating Santa Baby at #100 and Monopoly at #99.)

Ghostin is one of those songs that doesn't stand out because of the flashy production or the amazing beat - it stands out because of its lyrics and the almost dreamy instrumentation they're wrapped in, as Ariana describes a situation thought to be based on her own experience of mourning Mac Miller while in bed with then-fiancé Pete Davidson. The song samples Mac's song 2009 from his album Swimming, which was released the year before Thank U, Next and would prove to be the final album released during his lifetime.

Ariana actually says it was my Scooter Braun's decision to put the song on Thank U, Next and that she didn't want to include it:

As it turned out, it became one of the highest-charting songs by Ariana to have never received a single release, peaking at #25 on the Hot 100 after the album's release. (Only Needy, NASA and Bloodline have charted higher.) The singles run from Thank U, Next is probably the most unpopular one in this whole rate - from the votes it would seem that a better singles run would have been to follow Thank U, Next with Ghostin, Bad Idea and Bloodline rather than 7 Rings, Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored and Monopoly. Oh well.

The lyrics have been endlessly analysed (there's literally an entire Elle.com article breaking it down line by line) so I'm not going to revisit them here, but let's hear from our voters:

@daninternational (9) - it's hard to rate. it's beautiful but doesn't chime with me personally

@Milotic (9) - Everything about this song is beautiful. That said, I can't score it a 10 because it's not something I would listen to frequently. However, gotta give credit where it's due.

@superultra (10) - The most melancholy song of her entire career. This song absolutely hurts.

@Crisp X (10) - Heartbreaking. I feel like I’m being punched in the gut. I just want to ascend through those simple but genius chords. A song doesn't have to be complicated to be perfect, and this is the perfect example.

@RUNAWAY (10) - now this is what I came here for. This song really does it for me. It’s full of emotion, gorgeously sung, and I feel like everyone can relate to this song, especially if you’ve had your heart broken. It’s so beautiful, and I wish Ari would do more understated songs like this.

@BreatheBox (10) - The 11 was either gonna go to this or Better Off. So sad, but the melody is so beautiful.

@Laurence (10) - My 2nd 11.

@Holly Something (10) - Tugged at my 11 a little bit teebs. I find this song quite relatable, breaking up with someone and then being with someone else and the confusing feelings that sometimes emerge. Obviously her experience has an extra layer which makes it so much more heartbreaking.

@DJHazey (10) - Was definitely one of the few that first heard this and wondered what the hype was all about, but given another chance with BPG rate made me re-think that blasphemous behavior. Ethereal quality is off the charts it's not even funny and the "we'll get through anything together" combined with the imagery of the hugs getting tighter and the tears being pressed against each other's shoulders, just damn. I get feels from it now. Thank goodness I saw the light.

@chrismoyer (10) - SO HEARTBREAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL. This NEEDS to be one of the top 3 and up there with TI, TBY, and HA, for highest album track. The song is by far, her most heartbreaking song. It is just an absolutely gorgeous, gut-wrenching song that will always be special to Ari and everyone. As being a big Mac Miller fan myself, the song is quite hard to listen to. The lyrics are beautiful and so heartbreaking. It is one of the saddest songs I have ever heard. I almost cry every time, because it honestly can be about a family member’s death that happened to you, or makes you feel depressed when you're in love with someone you can’t have. Most of all that production is so DEPRESSINGLY BEAUTIFUL, and the ending will leave you speechless. By far the best song from thank u, next.

@pop3blow2 (10) - (as previously heard in the BPG rate... I was too lazy to redo it for this rate, so y'all will deal.)

This song is some next level shit. It's like some sort of avant garde/modern classical music filtered through a eerie lost movie soundtrack & with a vocal sung by a broken angel.

Her voice in 'ghostin' is unreal. Without getting too nerdy, she does something in this song that melts my little pop music mind. On the first verse, when she is singing mainly against the soft synth sweeps, they are being modulated &/or slightly pitch shifted to make them sound kinda creepy or anxious. As such, the chords (G/C/Em/D) & the notes/bars start and end in weird places & bleed into each other in very unnatural non-tonal ways. How she modulates her own voice in those spaces, stays on key, & even matches the drama of the affected synth line is... well, it's genius for lack of a better word. (Even the string swells at the end of the song & Ari's matching background vocals seem to a callback to very modulated synths that start the song, but the sonics here are meant to more epic, rising, & sound like overcoming... rather than be claustrophobic & anxious like in the same sonic concept at the start of the song.)

@blaze_dave (11) - made me cry the first time I heard this song, lived up to the hype around it

@Cutlery (11) - I have many words to describe this; being amongst my favorite songs of the decade, coming nearly at the end of it too. Ari's body is sliced open and her heart is there for all of us to perceived in this sorrowful, hopeful, melancholic, grandiose ballad that permeates the limits of the auditory medium and demands context and full attention from the listener. Very few people have been caught in the strain of two relationships in the specific way she has so publicly. She exhumes some of the doubts and the guilt of it all in the space of four minutes, an exercise that we apparently almost never got to see fue to how personal it is. But for letting the world try to come a little closer to understanding this process for her, I am extremely grateful.

@reputation. (11) - Hands down her best song for me. It physically hurts to listen to and fucking breaks my heart everytime I play it. The production, the arrangement, lyrics, the vocals, the outro are all so dramatic and heart-wrenching. Everything about this song is just devastating. An achingly gorgeous masterpiece.

The production here is flawless. Absolutely flawless. The string sections, the mixing, but most importantly the stacks & stacks of vocals Ariana does here. My gawd. Her voice is tracked so many times with fresh takes, different little bits, & harmonies. This song is just 4 repeating chords, too. That's it. They use every note in that 4 chord range to its full effect. The arrangement is so clever, dramatic, & heartbreaking.

I mean, those lyrics. I love the double play on ghosting someone & also being haunted. How does she top this? Normally, I might not think an artist could. I've learned I've underestimated Ariana Grande one too many times, so I fully anticipate to be wowed again like this sooner than later.

13. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Presenting...

YOUR TOP TWO

[​IMG]
    NO TEARS LEFT TO CRY (2018)

vs.

[​IMG]
    INTO YOU (2016)

What do you think will win?

14. It was always going to be these two in the final 2. I would have been shocked if it wasn't.

Now the question is will No Tears Left To Cry pull a Never Really Over?

15. Mess, Ghostin absolutely deserved the top spot. The top 2 is very predictable...if I had to choose a fave it’s No Tears Left To Cry. A moment.

16. Sad that Ghostin' didn't place in the top 2 but not surprised, proud of it anyways !

londonrain likes this.
  17. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

18. I think you mean... the Grande Finale

[​IMG]

19. Oh hell nah..y'all fucked up at the very last moment.

Into You is winning this, isn't it? Top 2 is extremely predictible, rooting for No Tears.

londonrain and Ashling92 like this.
  20. Oh, the moment I was mentioned in I thought it was my almost 11 leaving. Pleased it isn't. Bye.

[​IMG]

Go No Tears!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.