☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 115 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Well, all six of the people who gave Ghostin an 11 gave both remaining songs a 10, so we know they’re not deciding the winner...

2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Someone went in and edited a bunch of scores in the rate spreadsheet two and a half hours ago so that the top two swap places... but as far as I know the only people with access are @soratami, @ohnostalgia, @savilizabeths and me.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately for that person I reverted to the previous version and saved a copy of it.

[​IMG]

3. They should have at least made ghostin' the winner so Ariana would be in the next Winners Rate! Dddd

4. Or maybe it was you, to end the rate with a stunt

[​IMG]

(Anyway, it wasn't me. I did help @savilizabeths make the spreadsheet, but I haven't even looked at it since, because it's not my rate and I didn't want to spoil the results).

5. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

If I were going to do that, I would have
    but hey, someone tried it.

(Among other things, they actually changed someone's score from a 10 to a 0, which, with this top two... itsjustnotrealistic.gif)

6. No Tears for the win please!

Ashling92 and londonrain like this.

7. "STOP THE COUNT!" teas

8. I want "no tears" to win it all. Now that song is an absolute triumph.

9. Team Into You but I won't be mad either way. Both incredible. Some pop gurls would be lucky to have just one song as good as these. Ddddd

londonrain likes this.
  10. Team No Tears Left to Cry!! (even though I love Into You also).

djmakemewet and londonrain like this.
  11. I hope it was @ohnostalgia because she's a No Tears stan and changing the results means No Tears is actually #2. Please confirm my theory and make Into You the winner.

ohnostalgia and londonrain like this.
  12. ghostin is both hard and yet mesmerising to listen to at the same time.

londonrain likes this.
  13. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Time to reveal our winner.

But first, let's look at our two contenders, which received ten 11s each.

[​IMG]

☁️INTO YOU☁️

11x10 (@dylanaber, @GimmeWork, @Dangerous Maknae, @andrewdarwitan, @maikos87, @ufint, @Hurricane Drunk, @SophiaSophia, @Vixen, @Laurence)

Winner of
    the previous Ariana rate (with an average of 10.09 and a whopping thirty 11s) and the Big Pop Girls 2016 rate (with an average of 9.831 and twenty 11s), does the fact that Into You only got ten 11s spell doom for its chances of winning a third rate?

@Sprockrooster (8) - OUCH. TIME is not kind.

@chrismoyer (10) - This song is gonna win the rate obviously. Honestly, it deserves too. It’s a perfect pop song, one of the best pop songs of the last decade. The bridge is incredible, and the last 30 seconds of the song with the “So,” “Come,” “Light Me Up,” are jumping, exhilarating moments. WHEW!

@Ugly Beauty (10) - the way it builds into that massive chorus? pop at its peak, INDO YOU!!

@blaze_dave (10) - it's just so good with each listen

@superultra (10) - I don’t mean to be annoying, but this was a cultural reset. However, as much as I love this song, I don’t know if it’s because I genuinely like it or I’ve been stockholm syndromed by the forum into thinking it’s the shit. I get why y’all won’t shut about this song, but goddamn.

@Cutlery (10) - What else is left to say about one of the songs most deeply ingrained into the homosexual male pantheon?

@Musc is Life (10) - I feel like everything that could be said about how amazing this is as a pop song has already been said everywhere else on this forum, and will be repeated by many in this rate. But that run from the second verse, the pre-chorus, the chorus, the middle-8 and the final chorus….we’re fucking ascending bitches, I hope you’re ready.

@reputation. (10) - I would’ve given this my 11.....but she just has many excellent songs. This one is the best example for pop perfection.

@Crisp X (10) - Literally one of my favorite pop songs of the last few years. Every single line is a hook itself. I always felt the first three notes represented her stepping into a room searching for her lover, stomping the shit out of the floor with her high heels, then bursting into the song. It’s such a dramatically iconic intro… like she’s making it clear that she’s here and wants you to notice her. Ugh. I still never see that huge chorus coming. The “I’m so into you” part is such a simple, yet genius melody. And what about that bridge that feels right out of a live rip? Those drums! And that final post-chorus? Incredible.

@TwistedInnocence (10) - Is this one of the greatest songs of all time? I think so!

@Milotic (10) - Pop perfection. I know this isn't a new take, but come on. Does anything else really need to be said?

@Wired Life (10) - obvs a contender for my 11 but I thought that'd be a bit cliche.

@RUNAWAY (10) - this song really doesn’t need any commentary from me, as probably everyone will give it their 11 and gush on and on about how it changed their lives and turned them from a good girl into a ho or something….

@daninternational (10) - This has the drive of Break Free without the EDM, and the beauty of One Last Time. Perfection

@VitaminBee (10) - This song really grabs you and never lets go. It keeps hitting you with hook after hook. What a ride. It truly should have been a worldwide chart-topping hit.

@Holly Something (10) - Simply put, a great pop song.

@pop3blow2 (10) - Pretty brilliant pop, on every level. One of those songs where she kinda took her using a voice as an instrument to a new level. An amazing pop vocal. The song is catchy as hell too & brilliantly produced. Lots of dramatics & anxious feelings. Very 'Carly Rae' in the best ways, for me.

@BreatheBox (9.5) - Fuck it up Ari-chan!

@DJHazey (10) - Let me just grab my 2016 commentary for this one as it explains it better than I could now and how it kind of stamped Ariana's place as a 'Big Pop Girl' for years to come on Popjustice: "An instant career highlight. You could argue this is one of the biggest moments in recent pop history, just hear me out. After the way My Everything stamped her place as a B+ list popgirl, many of us were left underwhelmed by everything we'd heard from this album. It all did a 180 in the matter of 4:04. RJF may very well have had Dangerous Woman written in pencil for the upcoming Big Pop Girls rate, but after hearing this he went right for the permanent marker. We've already had a big year for 'pop moments' with everything Beyonce has done to the forum and the day ANTI dropped, but this is arguably my favorite release story in 2016, based on the amount of excitement that one song produced. As far as the song itself, we all know what we're dealing with here. The switch is set to 11 and never dips below that setting because once you know what you're in-store for, the anticipation gives you energy alone. If you had 'pop choruses that attack' in the Popjustice Encyclopedia you'd see Laura Vanderbooben's Dangerous Woman era avatar next to the title of this song. If you're caught offguard, this song can be a complete mind-fuck as obliterates you with every pulsating second. You can just imagine Ariana reading some of our thoughts on the album up to this point and literally saying 'try to deny this one fuckers'. Bow to the queen."

@maiko87 (11) - the one that made me a stan

@Laurence (11) - Bop boppity bop. It won BPG rate and deserves to win this too.

@GimmeWork (11) - It’s just perfect pop. The lyrics, the production and her incredible voice all work so perfectly together but there’s also a lightning in a bottle quality to it as well that elevates it into euphoria.

@ufint (11) - So despite all the songs I could have chosen that were in contention (Touch It & No Tears Left To Cry especially) I just have to give my 11 to Into You for giving me an unforgettable moment the very first time I heard it. I remember hearing it in the beginning of May 2016. Me and my best friend were sat out in the park, the sun was shining, I brought my boomblaster and we had a bottle of wine to share. That immense euphoric feeling that I got the first time hearing it, summer just around the corner, forgetting about all of our worries and sorrows. That is just something I will never forget. Seeing her a few weeks later at an intimate concert in Paris (there were only like 500 people), standing three feet in front of her singing this… that’s something I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Winner of the Big Pop Girls 2018 rate (with a 9.912 average and thirty-two 11s) and the 2018 PJ Chart rate (with 397 points and a 57-point lead over second place, using the song contest scoring method), this is No Tears Left To Cry's chance to score a third win. Without those extra twenty-two 11s, though, is the forum's love for it (and that VISUAL EXPERIENCE of a video) going to be enough?

@Ugly Beauty (10) - The way the song starts you think you're hearing a ballad then the beat gets steadily louder and suddenly you find your wig in orbit.

@138Prince (10) - I cried when the single+video dropped. The grey hair is iconic.

@fatyoshi (10) - An absolute triumph and possibly her best single.

@chrismoyer (10) - Besides Into You, this will win. As it should. Even if my personal favorite Ari songs are all non singles, this one honestly is in there just simply because it’s just that damn good! It honestly gives me goosebumps and emotional hearing those opening vocals and the chorus always will get me. The fact that this was the song that she released after the Manchester tragedy and she came back with this that NO ONE expected at all. I remember it had to grow on people, and today it is really loved by all as far as I can tell. The video is mind boggling. This song is just so damn positive and happy I LOVE IT

@Sprockrooster (10) - A return that clearly was a moment. Well done. WOW.

@DJHazey (10) - Sometimes pop songs can just make you feel so good and suddenly have a more positive outlook on life because you have butterflies and are just downright smitten within the first minute on your very first play. That's the euphoric feeling I had here and that alone makes it's one of my favorites. I feel like this is going to be one of her more 'timeless' anthems and I mean that. Like when we grow up and play Ariana for a younger generation and watch them lose their shit the very first time they experience the chorus.

@daninternational (10) - Driving around LA listening to this on repeat with my ex was perfection. Just mad I went to Coachella first weekend so didn't see her sing it live
    @superultra (10) - This song saved me during my sophomore year of college around finals szn. My mental health was going down the drain, but this genuinely uplifted my spirits. The fact that she came back from utter tragedy with an anthem rather than a ballad inspired me with hope and optimism. A beautiful song.

@blaze_dave (10) - such a great pop anthem and the video was great with it

@Crisp X (10) - The perfect comeback. To be honest, I'm still waiting for the album this song made me believe we were getting sonically. Unexpected, unique, even left field production wise with the genius beat switch up, and the slight UK Garage influences. This sounded more like 2001 than 2018, yet this was the perfect reintroduction after the Manchester tragedy.

@RUNAWAY (10) - yas. A true iconic moment that the girls wish they had to their name.

@reputation. (10) - YET ANOTHER 11 WORTHY SONG....that I could not give mine to. Sigh. Everything about this song and its campaign was brilliant. The way she was able to transform all of her pain and grief into one of the most joyful defiant celebrations in recent memory...ugh, her mind. It was a cultural reset.

@SlowGinFizzzz (11) - What can I say, this is the song that turned me from a casual-ish fan into a stan. I'm still shocked this wasn't #1 in every country for like an entire year. NTLTC was ROBBED! Oh, and the video blew my mind. This song also paved the way for the most iconic collab of the past decade: Ariana Grande feat. Nintendo Switch! When will your fave???

@Milotic (11) - I feel like this song will get quite a few 11's, and for good reason. It's a complete tour de force of pop music. I still remember the day this came out, and I've been hammering the shit out of it ever since. It's what really got me into Ariana and made me recognize how much of a force she is to be reckoned with. I bopped to her songs here and there before this came out, but now she's one of my favorite artists. The impact!

@pop3blow2 (11) - (as previously seen in the Ultimate '10s Song Rate. I was too lazy to redo here, but might add some extra thoughts to the thread when the song is revealed!)

Every now then art & commerce cross paths at the same time.

I was never the biggest fan of Ariana before the Sweetener-era. I didn’t dislike her, but outside the occasional song, I kind of found her whole brand kinda, whatever. She kinda came off like a bratty Instagram robot version of a pop star. I could just never really care much about her. That all changed with the bombing. I was sick for everyone in England, all her fans, & my heart went out to her, too. That kinda event can fuck with anyone & seeing how she handled it made me think differently of her. I saw her in a different light & started to actively root for her. For the first time, I was on board for a whole campaign. Still, I didn’t think it would be her, that would become the guiding force of pop’s future…. and yet; Sweetener was one of those albums, where an artist really broke a lot of moulds at one time… and it sold a ton & was popular with the masses. That can only be a good thing. I finally understood how special of artist she really is.The whole era made excited for her & pop. I finally understood her power. (and remain confused & annoyed with some of her overall periphery, but that's a different story.)

'no tears left to cry' literally melts my brain it is so good. It destroys basic song structure in new & fascinating ways, the production is just beyond immaculate (maybe Max Martin's masterpiece in a career of masterpieces), & Ariana’s vocal is so amazing it doesn’t even seem real. But it is. She's become one of the best pure pop singers I've ever heard. The whole song is like an out-of-body experience. (those rim hits at 1:01, 2:12, & 3:00 are the aural equivalent of being hypnotized & someone snapping their fingers to bring you back. Amazing.)

It’s the kind of song you can just enjoy as a music lover, but if you’re a pop music songwriting & production nerd, the song takes on a whole other level. It’s like a Rubik’s Cube of sound your brain is contantly shifting to see how they made it all line up. Just an unbelievable achievement in music, in every respect.

@Music Is Death (11) - @savilizabeths you’re tasteless with this song. It’s amazing. The idea of having been so sad for so long you’re completely out of tears, and you wanna try and dance away the pain and be happy, but it seems like you’re trying almost too hard to achieve that…just perfection. And the production on this is unlike anything Ari or even Max for that matter, has ever done, but is also automatically a perfect, and classic pop song. I wish I could say the chorus is everything, but that would do a disservice towards the verses.

Okay, so I wasn’t originally planning on giving this my 11, though I knew it’d be a contender. But after the past week – these lyrics just speak to me like no other. I’ve been in a really weird place lately – like the past few weeks - where I’m technically okay, but I’ve also been really down, and just drained all the time. I haven’t been depressed in the sense where I’m really sad and like, suicidal. I’ve just been kind of hopeless and feeling like everything I want from school and my future is pointless. And that’s a really dangerous place to be mentally, and I’m aware of that, so I’ve been trying to ignore it and keep going, even if I give in to slightly every once in a while. But I keep waiting to get to this point – where I have no (metaphorical) tears to cry, because I’m just so tired of this hopelessness. It’s rare but I do have moments where the main chorus line – “Right now I’m in a state of mind I wanna be in like all the time” – occurs in my own brain, usually when I’m listening to music or reading. So that ends up being something I wanna hold onto, and it just hasn’t been lasting like it had been. I don’t even really know or understand what’s going on, because for some stupid reason I felt like I was past all of this and felt like I was consistently in a great place mentally, but I know I was wrong. So now I’m starting to think if I was just ignoring the pain and forcing myself to be happy because all the reasons I was depressed were technically behind me. But it felt real at the time. Basically, this song is everything I felt like I had been recently, and everything I’m hoping to move towards again, but in a better mind-set then in the past. So it’s my 11.

14. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Well, we know it's not the 11s that determined the winner, right?

So presumably it's come down to how many of you
    didn't give one of these songs a 10.

So let's have a look at what those scores are, then.

[​IMG]
    ☁️INTO YOU☁️

8x3 (@aux, @happiestgirl, @Sprockrooster)
    8.5x1 (@Butterfly)
    9x3 (@slaybellz, @elektroxx, @CorgiCorgiCorgi)
    9.5x1 (@BreatheBox)
    10x55 (everyone else)

[​IMG]
    ☁️NO TEARS LEFT TO CRY☁️

5x1 (@Aester)
    8x1 (@Serg.)
    8.5x2 (@Hurricane Drunk, @Butterfly)
    8.75x1 (@Dijah.)
    9x1 (@BreatheBox)
    9.25x1 (@savilizabeths)
    9.5x5 (@dylanaber, @boombazookajoe, @Dangerous Maknae, @stoicist, @VitaminBee)
    9.75x1 (@andrewdarwitan)
    10x50 (everyone else)

That means our winner, with an average of 9.986 and a total of 729 points, is:

No Tears Left To Cry is close behind, with an average of 9.921 and a total of 724.25 points.

Thank you to everyone who voted! It's been a wild ride, and thank you to @savilizabeths and all the guest hosts for doing Ariana justice.

15. ??????????????

16. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

No Tears Left To Cry would have won the rate If @Aester had given it a 10 instead of a 5.

[​IMG]

Oh, and this is what the official leaderboard was changed to at 1:29 am GMT today (not the copy I saved separately, of course):

[​IMG]

Sure, sure, I'm the one who's salty.

thommyh, Laurence, GimmeWork and 23 others like this.
  17. Oh well, I really wanted No Tears to take it although both are 11 worthy songs nn. I should've known that Into You will forever be PJ's favorite!

But Ghostin' is still her best song to me and No Tears is her best single, someday you'll all see the light xx.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to all the hosts, it's been a fun ride!

GimmeWork, soratami, Espeon and 6 others like this.
  18. Um...

thommyh, Mushroom, Laurence and 20 others like this.
  19. I will not let that wtf for an excel forms mess to take the spotlight from @Aester showing lack of taste, emotion and common sense.

elektroxx, Blond, ohnostalgia and 6 others like this.
  20. How is that meant to be funny though? I think that person should be called out by name to be honest cause changing someone's score from a 10 to a 0... That makes me have trust issues dd. If it's really a joke then come forward and say you did it. Otherwise that's really shady. Like it's a rate on a pop forum not a US election.

But anyway congrats to the winner. Thank you to all the hosts and guest hosts that got this rate to the finish line, it was fun.

thommyh, Mushroom, Blond and 15 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.