☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 35 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. My only 0 too. Let's lose, Santa Baby, Jason's Song, and the extra with Mac Miller. Thank you.

Remorque and savilizabeths like this.
  2. I’ve read the first three which were definitely much better than their adaptions. The best thing to come out of the show is how hot Matthew Daddario is.
    I’m literally screaming!!
    I was legit a stan at the time and I barely fucking remember tbh
    At least one of these will leave soon....

3. The entire Shadowhunter Chronicles are all amazing in my opinion. It was originally just supposed to be just those three books so I applaud you for reading them.
    And yeah, Matt Daddario is a whole ass snack.

4. Even if I'm a huge The Wanted fan, yep Nathan contributed to absolutely nothing on that song. Quite the opposite, actually.
    Not sad to see it go.

5. A perfect first elimination. I think it's the perfect case of sometimes less is more. A song that didn't need to be as long as it is.

Remorque, Crisp X and savilizabeths like this.
  6. People coming for brilliant little gem that is 'Jason's Song' after one elimination? I mean, come on now!

This rate really is gonna be messy.

7. I'll tell you one thing, those people are gonna have to wait a bit.

And yes, messy is the word for it.

8. Hazel, I will literally fight you.

9. I'm not sad to see Almost Is Never Enough go but I listened to it a lot when I was breaking up with someone but that person turned out to be a pathological liar so on to next one! I vote for Put Your Hearts Up/Step On Up/Leave Me Lonely next.

10. About to start writing elimination #2.

I think some of you will be quite happy about this one.

11. Imagine two-year-old Ariana recording a track for the soundtrack of Mortal Kombat, the movie. Just imagine.

12. This is revenge for tanking my 11....

[​IMG]

☁️ PUT YOUR HEARTS UP ☁️

Average: 4.98

You don't have to be a billionaire.
    You don't have to have much to show how much you care.
    Like, give a wink, give a kiss.
    Give a little happiness.

High: 10x2 (@DJHazey @daninternational) 9.5x2 (@Music Is Life @Sprockrooster) 9.25x1 (@pop3blow2) 9x1 (@SophiaSophia)
    Low: 0x2 (@lemonsqueezyy @Petty Mayonnaise) 1x (@Mirwais Ahmadzaï @japanbonustrack @superultra @reputation. @138Prince @The Hot Rock) 2x1 (@Robsolete)
    Total Points: 364.25
    My Score: 8/10

A look at the previous (and iconic) rate hosted by @Laura Vanderbooben tells me that this is the second time 'Put Your Hearts Up' has been the second song to be kicked out. Last time it was beaten only by that one track with Meghan Trainor in it (a song with I actually kinda like, don't come for me!!). Instead of moving down to be knocked out first this time, we decided that 'Almost is Never Enough' deserved to fall. Good for you, 'Put Your Hearts Up'.

Onto the song at hand. 'Put Your Hearts Up' is the definition of bubblegum. Cute, innocent, sugary and optimistic would all be good words to describe it. Look, this is actually something I personally vibe with. I'm a lover of all things cute and I've been known to enjoy a good inspirational quote. So I can definitely see why this would click more with me than a lot of others. The thing is, this doesn't sound like Ariana at all. There is no way in hell it would have fit in with what we got on Yours Truly. Ariana has always had a tendency to lean more towards songs with a little more soul and R&B flair. This feels like Cat Valentine's debut single, not Ariana's. It was very obviously pushed due to her image at the time as the cute, bubbly, red haired girl from Nickelodeon. Ariana has talked about it in years since.

"It was geared towards kids and felt so inauthentic and fake. That was the worst moment of my life. For the video, they gave me a bad spray tan and put me in a princess dress and had me frolic around the street. The whole thing was straight out of hell. I still have nightmares about it, and I made them hide it from my VEVO page."

None of this stops the song from actually being enjoyable though. As usual, Ariana sounds pretty despite the weird uses of vocal effects. It also samples 'What's Up' by 4 Non Blondes. A very odd sample choice but personally, I think it actually works. It blends nicely and somehow doesn't seem too out of place. Though I definitely understand not agreeing with that. My favourite part is probably the the bridge. I love how understated it is with Ari's hushed vocals with the cute little vocals in the background and then the harmony on the second half before she belts out the final note sending you back into the chorus. It's pretty, and I'm always a sucker for harmonies. I spend a lot of my time in my room just harmonising with whatever music is playing. I find the best thing to do to appreciate this is to think of it as an extension of Victorious. A song for Cat to celebrate that chapter of Ariana's life, instead of actually acknowledging as part of her discography. Then again, if you get a toothache from something this sweet then I suppose I can't help you.

Most of you really weren't here for this. @superultra (1) refuses to acknowledge it's existence: "I pretend I do not hear it." How is that working out for you? I suppose it's not a hard song to ignore. @The Hot Rock apologises: "What's Up sweetie, I'm so sorry." At least it probably made them a little coin? On the other hand, @Sprockrooster (9.5) agrees with me about the sample: "The sample is so well-worked into this. I stan." Yes! It is! Thank you! @blaze_dave (6) seems confused, so I hope this post clears it up: "So sounds like 4 non blondes - I said Hey, is this what it samples?" It sure is. Now you know. Seems like @RUNAWAY (4) has selective memory: "Is that a fucking What’s Up sample? I’ve listened to this song before but I was so traumatized I must have blocked it out...and for good reason. This is garbage hunny." Bet you're not as traumatised as Ari though.

A couple of people made interesting comparisons to other artists. The one from @Slice of Life (4) made me giggle because, yeah, you make some points. "We love the debut song of Sophia Grace <3" It's been a minute since I thought about her. Weren't her and Rosie on Sam and Cat one time. I actually barely watched that show despite having seen every episode of Victorious multiple times. @Ugly Beauty (5) makes a comparison that I'm not sure I agree with: "If you wanted Ariana singing Cher Lloyd rejects, this song's for you." It's not brat-pop enough to be a Cher track at all though, right? Then again, it's been awhile since I listened to her first album. 'With Ur Love' and 'Oath' were pretty sugary. Unlike @RUNAWAY, poor @Petty Mayonnaise (0) can't seem to forget: "Whichever Nickelodeon executive made this happen should be fired. I want to forget that it happened almost as much as Ari does." I hope that now it's eliminated you can make steps to find peace and forget. Though, the real person from Nickelodeon who should be fired is Dan Schneider because of....you know, reasons. (Wait, I googled it and he doesn't work with the company anymore. So I guess that's good).

Turning positive for a minute, @daninternational (10) keeps it short and sweet: "Cute, innocent song <3" It's nice to see someone around here isn't jaded. Can't say the same for @Petit nain des Îles (3) who did not have a good time with this: "4 Non Blondes wants their "yeahs" back. Interpolation or not, I'm really not into this as I don't like the song it recalls. I wanted to turn it off halfway through, but I sacrificed my hearing for science. Just for this rate." My girlfriend read this comment while double checking ballots for the spreadsheet and says she agrees with you. I, however, simply hope your hearing is okay. @pop3blow2 (9.25) gets it, as usual (mostly): "I mean, this is pretty fantastic in all its basic, bubblegum, 4 Non-Blondes sampling glory." I think that about sums it up. I guess some people just don't like the taste of bubblegum. @Laurence (8) is also into it: "What a cute lil song. Like it." What he said. @reputation. (1) is thanking the music gods: "Wut is dis hunny. So glad it bombed." It certainly doesn't have 'hit song' written over it at all.

Seems @lemonsqueezyy agrees with Ari on this one: "If she hates it, I do, too. Well… with THIS song at least." Yeah, this might be one of the few times that Ariana isn't exhibiting shit taste. @Milotic (6) is on the same page but with a much higher score: "I'm just so glad she reflected on this was like "....nah."" Honestly, I doubt she wanted to do it in the first place. It was definitely an image expectation calculated by the label and Nickelodeon. Thank god they let her change direction though.

And because the song is so positive, I wanted to end with a little love. @chrismoyer (8) is also into cute, I see: "I love this song, this will definitely be one of the first ones out which is a shame, it’s so happy and fun and classic Ariana Grande. While she has said herself that it feels more like a Cat Valentine type song, I don’t care it’s so fun and cheery. I can see why most people can’t stand it, I just love how cute it is." Well you definitely predicted it's early elimination and you also like fun, so I appreciate that. Lastly, @DJHazey (10) is NOT going to be happy. I'd say I'm sorry, but I'm really not. Even though I do agree with you: "Can we all do a little better this time and not have this go out second-to-last like her last rate? I mean, come on, only Meghan Trainor managed to lose to this! Reminds me of Havana Brown's "Spread a Little Love" always, those are like sister-songs to me. A positive message bop seems to always do the trick for me I swear, we don't always need to the message to match whatever darker thing is happening in our lives. Why not daydream to euphoria? The 4 Non Blondes sampling is essential because "Whats Up?" is one of my favorite songs of the 90s." I think we could all do with 'daydreaming to euphoria' right now, don't all of you? Poor Hazey is going to have to accept that second to last is apparently this tracks true placement. A shame though.

So, that's a wrap on 'Put Your Hearts Up'. I'd encourage those of you who can handle it to give it another listen right now if you're feeling kinda down because it actually really brightened up my mood today.

Dani: "Definitely not a fan, I could barely get through the damn song. Actually, I didn't get through it all. I skipped it halfway through. It's trying to hard and it's too prissy. "

Until next time.

(The music video is basically impossible to find in good quality. The first video I found stops partway through. This video is full, but the second half is terrible quality. Ari really wanted this shit forgotten.)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  13. Remorque, myblood, Robsolete and 21 others like this.
  14. That single cover is just as bad as the song itself.

Remorque, myblood, Dijah. and 4 others like this.
  15. Some people just can’t appreciate how ahead of its time Put Your Hearts Up is, Stupid Love who this is the original pink monstrosity.

16. Now that's tea.
    A perfect description of me tbh.

Remorque, myblood, GimmeWork and 6 others like this.
  17. Is it really the 2nd worst song of the whole thing? Absolutely not.

I'm not surprised to see it vacate early, though.

18. Only in that video?
    [​IMG]

19. Because it's literally THE worst song here x

Lila, myblood, Serg. and 9 others like this.
  20. [​IMG]

Remorque, myblood, GimmeWork and 7 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.