☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 46 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. Okay but..."It's Alright, It's Ok"? We love a freaking classic.

2. Oh my god, it still is. It'd be mentioned so many times that I thought that it'd already been eliminated. That can go next. Please.

Cutlery, slaybellz and savilizabeths like this.
  3. Sorry I never got around to doing this @savilizabeths I know you tagged me at some point. But I'll follow along!

Music Is Death and savilizabeths like this.
  4. Liking the eliminations so far. I’m glad Popular Song is still in hihi.

The Light Is Coming is a bit too low though, there’s definitely worse.

5. Sorry for the lack of eliminations xo
    Yesterday was a bit of a hard mental health day and today I'm trying to spend time with my quarentine 'bubble' (Dani and my sister) but I'll be back to you tomorrow when another Extra will fall.

Stay safe!!

6. Same to you! x trying times this world.

Music Is Death and savilizabeths like this.
  7. Not y'all getting rid of Ari's Independent Women! Disgusting!

savilizabeths likes this.
  8. Your host is a liar! Exposed! I promise you two eliminations (maybe three) to make up for my unprofessional absence.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  9. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

[​IMG]

10. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

I can tell I'm gonna have a tough time as probably the only Charlie's Angels 2019 (movie and soundtrack) fan in this rate. The way Got Her Own's lethargic ass almost threatens to attempt a drop of some kind and then it's just like "........nah". Go girls give us nothing!

11. You guys just don't like fun, do you?

[​IMG]

☁️ THEY DON'T KNOW ☁️

Average: 5.719

I walked oevr, got this sunlight
    Ain't got time to listen to any shade, yeah
    The wind on my pony, top-down, alright
    Ain't got time to let them darken my day, that's right

High: 9.5x1 (@Laura Vanderbooben) 9x3 (@Music Is Life @junkos @pop3blow2) 8.5x2 (@savilizabeths @boombazookajoe) 8x4 (@citoig @Slice of Life @happiestgirl @chrismoyer)
    Low: 0x1 (@Laurence) 1x3 (@slaybellz @Hurricane Drunk @Espeon) 2x5 (@soratami @The Hot Rock @Holly Something @superultra @OspreyQueen) 3x3 (@Serg. @RMK @WhatKindOfKylie?)
    Total Points: 417.5
    My Score: 8.5/10

Sigh. Who hurt you guys? I don't know why I'm disappointed because I knew this would fall early. It's time to say goodbye to 'They Don't Know', Ariana's contribution to the Trolls soundtrack.

'They Don't Know' is bright and summery, with an 'Uptown Funk' (or the superior 'Hot' by iconic Kpop girl group TWICE) esque opening. Ari sings about not letting peoples negativity impact your life, love and overall just being happy. You know, typical kids movie type things. It's got a chill kind of energy that just makes me feel lighter and more carefree. It liteally sounds like a sunny day, driving with your friends and singing together. The bridge breaks it down a little, sounding a bit more hip-hop inspired with male voices chanting 'ayyy' in the background. It's probably my least favourite part of the song. It interrupts the sugar rush of the track, but it's definitely a fun little twist.

You've probably gathered by now that I really like this song. Is it revolutionary? No. Is it pretty generic? Absolutely. Does it make me want to dance around with sun pouring in through my window or go on a roadtrip in a convertible with the top down? Yes it fucking does! I'm not always a fan of this type of animated kids movie track. Often I find that they appear rather performative and lack any sense of genuine investment. And sure, maybe Ariana wasn't invested in singing this random throwaway soundtrack song that sounds like it might have been sung by Cat Valentine. But damn does she sell it to me! Her vocals sound like sunshine dipped in honey and sugar and she just sounds happy in a completely genuine way. She makes me want to party with her at the beach, like that one episode of Victorious where everyone else is stuck in that hot as fuck caravan while Cat is outside hanging out with a group of guys and enjoying the sunshine. Sure, it's a pretty paint by numbers child friendly soundtrack song, but it's MY paint by numbers child friendly soundtrack song. I'll be over here in my crop top and pink skirt with my cotton candy, sunglasses and lipgloss.

You know......if I could leave my house.

Moving on to you guys, who mostly didn't have a lot to say. We'll start with the lovely @chrismoyer (8) (who I'll love seeing around the forum if @Popjustice ever opens registration again): "Fun song! Very nostalgic and reminds me of old 2014 Ariana, y'all will probably flop this which is a shame because it’s just so happy and cute! Y'all just hate fun!" Thank you for reiterating my 'you people hate fun' sentiment. We stan a tasteful king! I may like this song, but I actually don't agree with @138Prince (7) who says: "This is Pink Champagne done right. Kidz Bop." I will not tolerate any 'Pink Champagne' slander here, thank you very much! @Milotic (7.5) is both amused and confused: "LOL why did I like this???" Because you (sometimes) have good taste (you scored my 11 below a 7, so I automatically have to not trust you or your taste). @RUNAWAY (7.5) gave an average review and an above average score: "I could live without this song for sure. A song on the Trolls soundtrack isn’t really gonna be anything revolutionary." Okay yeah, that's all true but I still love it! @daninternational (7.5) just says: "This is fun." Yep! If you guys are sad right now because of how shit the world is, blast this to cheer you up!

Former host @Laura Vanderbooben (9.5) makes a rare commentary appearance in support of Kidz Bop: "I love this kidz bop and know it will need the support nn" It did need your support, yet that still didn't save it. Poor song, and poor us. @Music Is Life (9) never gets tired of gushing over production elements and I love him for that: "A freaking BOP okay? I love the production, especially the drums, handclaps and guitar, and it’s so damn catchy." The production is so bright, bubbly and clean. I love it too! @superultra (2) is too grown up for this shit: "I feel like an infant listening to this." Am I an infant because I enjoy this? Probably so. @Petit nain des Îles must have resisted the urge to 'thank u, next' this one: "Another Disney like song I don't want to return to. Next." You should have made the lame joke! I'm disappointed! @OspreyQueen (2) takes a stab at the franchise: "The Trolls films are a pox on society." Has anyone here actually seen them? Are they as bad as I'm assuming they are? Do share. Sweetheart @pop3blow2 (9) is representing for his niece: "My niece loved this song. If I gave it less than a 9 and she found out it wouldn't be good. It's actually a really fun little slice of colorful Disney-Channel-eque pop." A perfect description. And bless, your niece has taste!

And lastly, my favourite zero giving negative nancy @Laurence (0) shares his thoughts: "I don't like it." I guess this is what you get when commentary is compulsary for any scores of 0.

Next we will lose another slice of sugary goodness. Guess away! While you do, Dani will share her first impressions of this Kidz Bop.

@Dani: "It's a song from a kids movie, it's what you expect. Average lyrics to inspire kids to ... idk do something? Decent melody. Everything is just what you'd expect from it."
    I guess she was whelmed, but this is much less negative than usual. Watch this space because next time....she's going to.....actually like a song! Amazing! Shocking! Revolutionary!

12. I know @Dani but who's @chrismoyer?

13. He’s been in ever elimination post (the Angel did commentary for every song), he’s in the voters list and I mentioned him in the thread when I decided to let him participate. He’s an Ariana fan who approached me on Twitter when I opened the rate asking if he could join despite not having an account because he can’t make one due to the lack of registration. He’s was so enthusiastic and I asked a couple of people what they thought and they said it should be fine so here he is.

Shoutout to him for being so supportive through this whole thing and encouraging me. I also doubt that’s the username he’d use if he joined but it’s (part of) his Twitter one so that’s what I’ve been using.

14. Wait, the dedication! Also I have no idea about registrations because when I did it was open by chance, or were they open all the time then?

Also on the elimination, I cackled at the thought of @pop3blow2 being held by their niece with like, a plastic knife seeing a low score for it before sending their ballot in

15. I honestly don't know what the elimination deal is. I joined in 2016 but didn't become totally active until the very end of 2018 so I got lucky by already having an account, I guess? I don't know when they stopped being open or why they are. Like, make it make sense! I think Dani would actually join if they were (though she wouldn't have the iconic @Dani username, which would be a damn shame).

Oh god, now I'm cackling too!
    Drag them to filth, please!

16. I saw that first Trolls movie. It was cute. Bright, good voice cast, and while basically a colorful commercial to sell toys... it was better than expected.

This song is upbeat & perfect for the movie. It’s way more successful in its existence, to me, than some other Ari songs that can really vacate soon.

@Cutlery Yeah, she’d probably use a pink plastic knife dipped in glitter. ddd

17. OH MY GOD YOUR NIECE IS ME

Not even younger me.....just me.

18. Finally! Some good news.

soratami and savilizabeths like this.
  19. Once I watched Trolls which was only a few weeks ago for my film challenge which came to grinding halt on day 78. I enjoyed the song a lot more in the context of the film the song on its own is cute but kinda throwaway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.