☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 50 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. One musical, I took years to come around to loving must admit!

savilizabeths likes this.
  2. Mean Girls, at least what I've heard of it, just wasn't good. Disappointingly average, especially lyrics wise. As far as film adaptions, I enjoy Heathers and Beetlejuice far more.

I mean, it helps that I love both of those movies, but I love Mean Girls too sooooo

daninternational likes this.
  3. @savilizabeths - Could you maybe keep a running list of the eliminations on the first page? It just makes it easier when I periodically cross songs off my 'follow along' sheet.

Next song I'd pick to go from each section:

Yours Truly - [REDACTED]
    Christmas - Not Just on Christmas
    My Everything - Bang Bang
    Dangerous Woman - Jason's Song
    Sweetener - Sweetener
    thank u, next - Needy
    Extras - My Favourite Part

4. I keep meaning to do that! I’ll sort it out when I wake up tomorrow!

Also if REDACTED is what I think it is....just know I hate you xo

5. @DJHazey and anyone else interested will be happy to know that the eliminations are all listed on the first page with links to the posts and everything. I'll keep this updated as we go.

I'd also like to apologise for the spotty elimination posts. With the world the way it is right now, things aren't easy for anyone. I've been battling anxiety attacks most days and quite often depressive episodes as well. As well as consistent exhaustion. It sucks because I expected to be able to do more/better with quarentine, not less/worse. Please stay safe, both physically and mentally. I love you all a lot.

I PROMISE to do my best to get back to regular posts. This current system does not reflect what the entirety of this rate will be. Thank you for your patience and I hope you're all doing well. I know things in New Zealand are better off than a lot of the world, and I'm incredibly grateful for that and am spending a lot of time thinking about the rest of you. I'm a message away! I really do mean that.

6. @savilizabeths Sending hugs, do take care I totally understand I’m constantly on edge the whole time and having regular anxiety attacks. I just had the most difficult 4 days as my mum was in hospital due to chemo side effects.

7. Don't beat yourself up. I literally just caught that I'd written 'off' not 'up' guess who's locked down alone
    To be honest if the pace was too fast I'd feel like it's yet another thing I can't keep on top of despite having 'nothing but time' at the minute.

8. @savilizabeths, take good care of yourself and lots of virtual hugs xo

Music Is Death and savilizabeths like this.
  9. You guys are really very sweet. Thank you for being so supportive, kind and patient. Elimination incoming!

ysev, soratami, Lila and 8 others like this.
  10. Don't worry at all queen @savilizabeths I, for instance, am only now typing up one elimination post for my niche rate I last updated... a week ago dd

11. Christmas takes another hit.

[​IMG]

☁️ NOT JUST ON CHRISTMAS ☁️

Average: 5.948

Wanna show you in so many ways
    Three hundred and sixty-five days
    I'll give you all my presents, boy, I'm for you
    Not just on Christmas

High: 10x4 (@WhatKindOfKylie? @BreatheBox @Vitamin @Butterfly) 9x4 (@AbCF15 @ufint @pop3blow2 @myblood) 8.5x2 (@RUNAWAY @Music Is Life) 7.5x3 (@Cutlery @Petit nain des Îles @lemonsqueezyy)
    Low: 1x2 (@Espeon @daninternational) 2x2 (@Serg. @DJHazey) 2.5x1 (@Robsolete) 3x3 (@GimmeWork @Wired Life @Sail On) 4x5 (@Laurence @VitaminBee @Hurricane Drunk @The Hot Rock @2014)
    Total Points: 434.25
    My Score: 5/10

I actually think we're doing quite well with our Christmas eliminations. Next to exit is 'Not Just On Christmas' from the sensual classic holiday EP, Christmas & Chill. With the exception of the intro, this is the first song from that release to be eliminated. Personally, I'd agree with that result. There is so much more substance on Christmas & Chill that isn't realy found on Christmas Kisses. I would also agree that this is the weakest track in her sophmore Christmas collection. 'Not Just on Christmas' is a short string filled ballad which sees Ariana promising to love her partner forever, not just in the holiday season. It's a sweet little declaration. Christmas can be so romance filled and it's easy to get swept away by it, but your love shouldn't only be that strong one time of year. Love means staying by your partners side every single day. Supporting them, loving them and growing with them. This song perfectly encapsulates that.

It is, however, barely over two minutes long and is surrounded by songs with a little more substance to them. While it's cute in it's loved up little way, it gets eaten up by the rest of the EP. For me, the lyrics are the weakest aspect of the song. There's just nothing much to grasp onto. Instead, the focus is on Ariana's vocals and the absolutely gorgeous instrumentation. Obviously I'm a sucker for strings and they're used gorgeously here. In the verses they're soft, romantic and slow. Enveloping you in a warm blanket of love. Then, when the 'oohs' begin, they pick up, becoming almost rhythmic. It's really cool. Maybe if the song was longer then I'd like it more, but as it is, it feels unncessary. Outside of the full EP experience, I just don't use it. Even around Christmas time.

Honestly, I don't think there's much more to say. Let's just hope the other tracks from this EP last longer, because that's where the good shit is. What one do you guys want to go next? Speaking of you guys, y'all didn't have a lot to say either. Let's hear from those that did.

Starting off with @pop3blow2 (9) who is complimentary? Maybe?: "Classic sounding. Nice. Feels longer than 2 minutes. I think that’s a compliment." It does have a very classic sound to it. It still feels super short to me though. @BreatheBox (10) hears some emotion: "This feels like such a sad song, it’s so good!" It's interesting to me that you think it sounds sad. I'd literally never thought of it that way. Especially considering how lovestruck the lyrics are. @Music Is Life (8.5) gives a pretty straightforward description: "This is a really pretty, really cute, really short ballad." This commentary is literally me trying to write this post. Like....is there really anything more to say? @RUNAWAY (8.5) uses the L word: "Such a chill cute Christmas song. Love this one."

@daninternational (1) isn't 100% sure what it is he hates, he just knows he hates it: "I hate the 60s(?) influences." Is it the almost 50s 'doo-wop' vibes of the 'ooh' part that you're referring to? @Milotic (6) has some backwards taste: "The best thing I've heard so far on this EP." Better than 'December'? REALLY? @chrismoyer (6), however, gets it right: "The worst song on C&C. It’s fine, the instrumentals are nice, it’s just not as solid as the others." Yeah, we definitely got this elimination order right. @superultra (6.5) also makes some points: "She’s a cute girl, but cute next to gorgeous… Gorgeous is gonna devour cute." And the rest of this EP really is gorgeous, isn't it? Our last commenter @Petit nain des Îles (7.5) is putting something out there: "She sounds great as usual. With that classic chord progressions though, I wish she would sing over It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia’s theme song. Let me plant the seeds." Wait, oh my god. I just listened to that theme again and while it's a totally weird request, I totally want it now. The vibes are so similiar.

Goodbye 'Not Just On Christmas', it was your time but we'll still miss you. See you in December. You know, if the world hasn't ended. I'll be posting a Dani update later because she's literally been too busy taking care of me (and making videos for her YouTube channel with her best friend) to listen to the songs. Plus, she's forgetful. We love her anyway. Will I see you later today for another elimination? Maybe so. We'll have to see. Let's just say, an iconic album loses it's first track.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  12. ☁️ MEET YOUR TOP 90! ☁️

YOURS TRULY (10/12)
    Honeymoon Avenue
    Baby I
    Right There (ft. Big Sean)
    Tattooed Heart
    Lovin' It
    Piano
    Daydreamin'
    The Way (ft. Mac Miller)
    You'll Never Know
    Better Left Unsaid

CHRISTMAS KISSES (3/5)
    Last Christmas
    Snow in California
    Santa Tell Me

MY EVERYTHING (17/17)
    Intro
    Problem (ft. Iggy Azalea)
    One Last Time
    Why Try
    Break Free (ft. Zedd)
    Best Mistake (ft. Big Sean)
    Be My Baby (ft. Cashmere Cat)
    Break Your Heart Right Back (ft. Childish Gambino)
    Love Me Harder (ft. The Weeknd)
    Just a Little Bit of Your Heart
    Hands on Me (ft. ASAP Ferg)
    My Everything
    Bang Bang (w/ Jessie J & Nicki Minaj)
    Only 1
    You Don't Know Me
    Cadillac Song
    Too Close

CHRISTMAS & CHILL (4/6)
    Wit it This Christmas
    December
    True Love
    Winter Things

DANGEROUS WOMAN (18/18)
    Moonlight
    Dangerous Woman
    Be Alright
    Into You
    Side to Side (featuring Nicki Minaj)
    Let Me Love You (featuring Lil Wayne)
    Greedy
    Leave Me Lonely (featuring Macy Gray)
    Everyday (featuring Future)
    Sometimes
    I Don’t Care
    Bad Decisions
    Touch It
    Knew Better / Forever Boy
    Thinking Bout You
    Step on Up
    Jason’s Song (Gave it Away)
    Focus

SWEETNER (14/15)
    Raindrops (An Angel Cried)
    Blazed (featuring Pharrell Williams)
    R.E.M
    God is a Woman
    Sweetener
    Successful
    Everytime
    Breathin’
    No Tears Left to Cry
    Borderline (featuring Missy Elliot)
    Better Off
    Goodnight n Go
    Pete Davidson
    Get Well Soon

THANK U, NEXT (12/13)

Imagine
    Needy
    NASA
    Bloodline
    Fake Smile
    Bad Idea
    Make Up
    Ghostin’
    In My Head
    7 Rings
    Thank U, Next
    Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored

EXTRAS (12/16)
    Adore (with Cashmere Cat)
    All My Love
    Bad to You (with Normani & Nicki Minaj)
    Boyfriend (with Social House)
    Dance to This (with Troye Sivan)
    Don’t Call Me Angel (with Miley Cyrus and Lana Del Rey)
    Get on Your Knees (with Nicki Minaj)
    How I Look On You
    Knew Better (Part Two)
    My Favourite Part (with Mac Miller)
    Quit (with Cashmere Cat)
    Rule the World (with 2 Chainz)

13. Already at almost a 6.0 song average with 90 songs left. I was trying to figure out if that was ‘good’ or common for a Big Pop Girl with a discography rate as big as Ariana’s. So, I looked up the iconic Taylor rate, for reference. Sure enough, her song at #91 had almost the same score. (5.998, actually)

And what was the song?

Remorque, Rem, soratami and 7 others like this.
  14. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Hey sis @savilizabeths, you've got me in the high scorers in the top, but then in the low scorers in the commentary, but I just checked and I did give this song an 8.5. Is everything alright on your end?

15. Yep, I'm simply stupid. Thanks for pointing it out!

EDIT: I see what happened. I accidentally wrote the wrong score in my commentary document. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

Remorque, soratami, DJHazey and 2 others like this.
  16. These are the songs I would most like to see leave in the next 10 eliminations according to my scores.

YOURS TRULY
    Right There (ft. Big Sean)
    Better Left Unsaid

MY EVERYTHING
    Best Mistake (ft. Big Sean)
    Only 1
    Cadillac Song

DANGEROUS WOMAN
    Step on Up

THANK U, NEXT
    Make Up
    7 Rings
    Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored

@savilizabeths I love you so much, talk to me whenever you need to.

17. Had to go back on page 1 to remember what we lost from Sweetener and thank, u next and got pissed off all over again.

Remorque, soratami and savilizabeths like this.
  18. Wait what? Not Just On Christmas is so chill and nice and lovely, it didn't deserve this.

Remorque, Vitamin and savilizabeths like this.
  19. Long may Dangerous Woman, stay in tact!

20. How hasn't Leave Me Lonely left yet?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.