☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 53 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. I'm not mad about this elimination. This song was a waste of a Normani and almost Dua collab. I'm gonna need some of my lower scores to start vacating soon though.

2. Wow. Y'all really didn't care about that elimination, did you? That says all you need about the song I suppose.

3. Good song, but still can deal with another extra leaving all the same.

savilizabeths likes this.
  4. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

Why are you only good to me

when I’m bad to you?

WHYAREYOUONLY

[​IMG]

Music Is Death, Laurence and soratami like this.
  5. Turns out my dumbass read the spreadsheet wrong so the next elimination isn't disappointing to me at all. I won't kill you guys yet.

Elimination coming ASAP!

6. Sweetner takes it's second cut, @Espeon appears in the High Scorers section for the first time, @OspreyQueen loses a second 10 in a row and it's tied for the most 0s so far. Seems this one is divisve.

[​IMG]
    ☁️ BORDERLINE ☁️
    (FT. MISSY ELLIOT)

Average: 6.246

Once you tastin' my ice cream, I bet you won't ever leave
    I know it's hard to believe
    Boy, you got me all on my knees

High: 10x5 (@The Hot Rock @Wired Life @138Prince @ysev @OspreyQueen) 9x4 (@Music Is Life @happiestgirl @WhatKindOfKylie? @dylanaber) 8.25x1 (@pop3blow2) 8x10 (@Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Petit nain des Îles @aaronhansome @Serg. @daninternational @Ugly Beauty @Espeon @stoicist @GimmeWork @soratami)
    Low: 0x4 (@RMK @BreatheBox @aux @reputation.) 2x3 (@andrewdarwitan @myblood @Cutlery) 3x3 (@Blond @junkos @savilizabeths) 4x3 (@chrismoyer @Ana Raquel @slaybellz)
    Total Points: 456
    My Score: 3/10

Pharrell takes a second hit as we eliminate 'Borderline'....poor him? This song also features iconic rapper Missy Elliot and the most phoned in, dull beat Pharrell could have provided. Clearly Ariana's not that into it either because it's one of the only Sweetener tracks that she didn't perform on tour (along with 'Blazed', 'Better Off' and 'Pete Davidson'). It's short, with a throwback sound and lyrics about chasing a boy and just wanting his attention. And yeah....it uses the word 'wifey', which was a choice.

People have a lot of issues with Pharrell's work on Sweetener. He had weird production choices, which most of the time just didn't work. But god, at least those were ideas! There was something creative to it, he was trying something. It may have worked out poorly but it was something. What's this? The production makes me feel like I'm back in the recording room at my performing arts school listening to all of our amateur beats on GarageBand. Something about it also makes me think of that part in 'Work This Out' from HSM2, where they're all make beats with pots, pans and various kitchen utensils. Does that make any sense? I don't know. It's just repetitive, basic and paired with the super boring, droning chorus melody....I'm just not here for it, I'm sorry! I will say that the verse melody and Ariana's vocals there sound quite nice, but not nice enough.

Can someone make it a law that we can't say 'wifey' anymore too? That would be great.

Missy should be able to elevate this, but she really doesn't. Why does she sound so bored? Where is the energy? I get that the song just sort of plods on but couldn't she have brought something more to the table? Another collaboration that should have been great and was completely wasted. Make it make sense! This is the definition of album filler and I just want more from Ari. Like, I don't skip it on the album I guess but I definitely don't use it outside of the context. Can they collaborate again? I want a do over!

God, I'm being too negative. As usual there are some really pretty background vocals and harmonies from Ari and she sounds really smooth and silky on the verses. The song just doesn't give her enough to do, vocally or in terms of just selling a performance. She's trying, and she sounds nice but I don't know. There's just not enough here.

Let's start with all the negativity so that we can just get it out of the way and end this post with some good positive vibes! @reputation. (0) makes a pun: "This one is so fucking bad. Wow. How did they listen to the song and thought it was okay to release it in 2018? Borderline tragic." Vicious! I love it! @BreatheBox (0) sums things up pretty well: "This is TRASH...This is so bad...Missy’s verse is nursery rhyme, the melody is uneventful." YES! Uneventful! That's the perfect word to describe it. Nothing fucking happens! Sweetener continues to confuse @RUNAWAY (6.5): "What a disappointment. I just don’t understand this album…" It's an album that couldn't choose between being good and being produced by Pharrell. That's about it. @Cutlery (2) takes a stab at Missy: "Everything sounds recorded in a cassette, it's unfinished, Missy is awful, Ari sounds so annoyed." I'm still coming through with the bad puns for you! @RMK (0) is also unimpressed with Missy: "Any shred of catchiness in this song is paired with something absolutely disposable and forgettable. I remember initially being hyped for this, but there's nothing exciting about it. Missy, though normally amazing, sounds asleep on her verse." Facts. Just facts.
    @DJHazey (6) isn't feeling it this time: "I guess I have to be in the right mood because I thought I enjoyed this a bit more." I never liked it, but sometimes I like it more than other times so I get where you're coming from. @blaze_dave (7) wishes it was longer: "Shame it is short." I know it's actually short but it feels so long to me. @aux (0) also thinks this feels long: "Not even Missy can save this from being a sludge to get through." Maybe she could have if she'd actually seemed present at all in her verse. @superultra (6) wanted more: "I’m still so disappointed by Missy’s verse and the lackluster production of this. This could’ve been excellent." I know! It's MISSY! This collaboration should have been a fucking event instead of whatever this is. @chrismoyer (4) actually compliments the production: "Pharell’s production on this one is pretty cool, but like Blazed, this just doesn’t go anywhere. It’s just so blah/boring and nothing to it. Missy’s verse is so quick and not that great, and it’s just underwhelming to listen to coming right after No Tears Left To Cry." By cool do you mean uninspired and bland? @Milotic (8) is giving some backhanded compliments: "There's nothing actively grating about this one, but once you've heard the first minute, you've heard the whole song." I wish I didn't find it actively grating but it gets more so with every listen for me.

Let's hear from some more positive commenters, shall we? @Petit nain des Îles (8) calls this 'iconic': "Yes, this does sound like a throwaway beat Pharrell had laying around on his computer for the past few decades. Yet this fits Ariana so well, or more like she managed to make it hers to the point it doesn't bother me that much. And that "just woke up from a nap" performance from Missy Elliott? Iconic." The last sentence made me laugh a lot. Thank you. @daninternational (8) is both positive and negative: "Nice vibes but an album track at best." I suppose the vibes are a little nice. @pop3blow2 (8.25) docked a point: "This was originally one of my least faves on here, but has grown on me over the last couple of years. I hate the word ‘wifey’ so it loses half a point just for that." So you'll sign my petition to ban the word altogether? And lastly, @OspreyQueen (10) loses yet again: "I’m not ready for this Y2K bop to get savaged like it did in the BPG 2018 rate." I'm sorry queen!!!!

Goodbye 'Borderline', I'm sorry I couldn't muster more positivity for your elimination post. What Sweetener song do you guys think will leave next? Tune in next time when I passionately rant about why you guys are just plain wrong! Until then, stay safe! I love you all!

7. Definitely don't think this deserved to go out before some other tracks still left... But I'm not sad.

8. The antiblackness persists!

9. All the songs with rappers bowing out first? Hmmm...

10. ok i'm not too mad as borderline was a low score from me but why is break up still there

11. Borderline was one of my lowest scores on sweetener, but still.... there’s some way worse stuff in her discog hanging around in this rate. So, not super pleased to see it exit now.

But yes @savilizabeths, I’ll sign your anti-wifey petition. I’m very pleased that you hate that word as much as me... I had no idea when I wrote my commentary, haha!

12. I mean, I hope Problem goes very far like it should.

13. They said rappers not wallabies

Esprit, superultra, Laurence and 12 others like this.
  14. Borderline isn’t THAT bad! I’m not too fussed it left this early but there’s worst stuff in her discography still here.

And yeah I’m not a big fan of the word ‘wifey’ so there’s that...

15. Yeah I definitely won't be missing that one.

16. Oh wow I didn't expect Borderline to be done this dirty. Missy's nap didn't deserve it.

17. Borderline, on the songs that clicked with me pretty much instantly from sweetener.

Esprit and savilizabeths like this.
  18. Me losing a zero and a ten back to back. Truly a pop injustice.

19. Very funny, but she's actually one of the major highlights of the song!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.