☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 60 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. I really LOVE the gorgeous ballady parts of Better Left Unsaid, and the way it builds is wonderful, and the chorus is actually a lot of fun and really enjoyable but I just have a big problem with the hype man too in the song. I may have underscored it a little tough, I'd probably give it an 8.5 now at least. I ,loved your idea of the song's story @savilizabeths.

2. Okay, I'm here! I know I've said sorry a lot but I'm going to say it again. The past couple of months have been so messy with my friend passing away, a past trauma being triggered, family going through hard times and my own mental health suffering, especially lately. It felt like my head was too cluttered to do anything at all but I've made steps recently to get out of that state. I've sorted my head out, written things down and have found ways to make sure I stay on track with PJ things and life things in general. I have called in Dani to keep me on track to do at least one elimination per day. Unless other things come up, which I will communicate, the longest space between eliminations should be a day or two. I know it's been a wait and I should have called in a backup host but because I care so much about this rate I was hesitant. I'm very very sorry!

So I'm back! Elimination coming #soon! I love you all and I hope you're doing well. If you feel like popping into my PMs, I'm always around xo

3. So my brain failed and I lied about three songs from one album leaving back to back, but there are two....

Starting with....

[​IMG]

☁️ PETE DAVIDSON ☁️

Average: 6.390

Universe must have my back
    Fell from the sky into my lap
    And I know you know that you're my soulmate and all that

High: 10x4 (@Dangerous Maknae @Mushroom @Sanctuary @Petit nain des Îles) 9.5x3 (@BreatheBox @chrismoyer @dylanaber) 9x3 (@aaronhansome @Vixen @superultra) 8.75x1 (@AllGagaLike) 8.5x2 (@Music Is Life @sapnu puas) 8.25x1 (@pop3blow2) 8x11 (@Dijah. @myblood @happiestgirl @Vitamin @maikos87 @138Prince @SlowGinFizzzz @Endothelium @japanbonustrack @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Blond)
    Low: 0x2 (@SophiaSophia @aux) 1x2 (@TwistedInnocence @slaybellz) 3x4 (@Ana Raquel @GimmeWork @lemonsqueezyy @Serg.) 4x7 (@Sprockrooster @soratami @WhatKindOfKylie? @The Hot Rock @Espeon @Hurricane Drunk @RUNAWAY)
    Total Points: 466.5
    My Score: 7/10

If you predicted that Sweetner would be the one with consecutive cuts then it would seem you were right. Today we'll be sending 'Pete Davidson' on it's way out. Despite it's length being barely over a minute, there's actually a lot to discuss about this song which was written for Ariana's ex-fiance, the titular Pete Davidson. The track is a sweet interlude dedication to finding love and the promise of a happy future wrapped in a layers of gorgeous harmonies with somewhat minimalistic production. Definitely cute at the time but the cute was quickly overtaken by odd uncomfortable sadness just months after the albums release.

Ariana Grande has been involved in multiple high profile relationship. There has been plenty of press coverage dedicated to her love life but nothing got the media cycle going like her whirlwind romance with SNL comedien Pete Davidson. First of all, the relationship began very soon after Ari's breakup with longtime boyfriend Mac Miller was confirmed. Then the two got engaged about a month after they began dating. Then there was the tragic passing of Mac Miller in September. And to end the saga the couple called it quits in October, only five months after everything began. In between all of this there were reports of endless odd jokes and comments from Pete about their relationship as well as the two somehow popularising the term 'Big Dick Energy'. It was a wild time to be on the internet. Everyone had an opinion on the relationship. There were supporters, fans that didn't like Pete for Ariana, people that said horrible things about her for 'moving on' from Mac so quickly. It all moved so fast and there was so much being said that it was hard to keep up with. Some people even blamed Mac's passing on Ari. Disgusting. But we'll be talking about that heartbreaking relationship later on in the rate.

I'll be real, I had no fucking idea what a Pete Davidson was when I first heard reports of their relationship. I don't watch SNL. Everything seemed so sudden and then they were engaged and it was like...whoa, okay?? I warmed up to them as a couple when watching Ariana talk about him in Sweetener interviews. She looked so happy and told cute stories and it was just nice to see her so bright and carefree. I definitely soured on him again every single time he opened his mouth. I get that he has a Sense of Humour but the guy wouldn't shut up. His comments were weird and often innapropriate as hell. Honestly I don't remember most of them super clearly and I have no desire to dive down that rabbit hole right now. So let's just say that I didn't like him that much but hey, my opinion doesn't matter. Ari has since described their relationship as a good distraction from her breakup and fun but unrealistic. There was a bit of back and forth drama after the breakup but things eventually settled and now I haven't heard anything about a Pete Davidson in well over a year.

This song is a sad little time capsule though. Prior to Pete, Ariana had gone through a lot of shit. Most notable were the event in Manchester and her 'toxic' & 'scary' relationship with Mac. There is so much hope in this little interlude, especially at the end as she repeats how she's going to be happy. You can tell how much she wants it and how she genuinely believes what she's saying. He makes her happy and it's special. It captures the lovestruck feelings of an early relationship. She sounds so in love and the beautiful layered vocals almost make it sound like she's daydreaming. It's really quite lovely! Unfortunately we know that it didn't work out in the way this song expects it to. We know how much pain was to come for her that year so when she says that there will be 'no crying for me' it really hits in such a heartbreaking way.

Honestly, I may have docked points for the name and the length alone but I feel like 7 is a fair score.

Passing the mic to you guys! @Ugly Beauty (7.5) keeps it honest: "This did not age well." Alas, it did not. @BreatheBox (9.5) seems surprised: "This is actually very cute." Isn't it!?! You know, if you forget what you know about the future of the relationship. @daninternational (7.5) shares what he would do as a pop icon: "Ariana naming her songs after bfs is the kinda shit i would do if I had any talent. nothing like dating your album before it's been out a few months." What would your songs be called then? Share the tea! @Milotic (5) laughs out loud: "Lol.. what an unfortunate title. But it's.. cute. Again, not a fan of interludes. This could be cut and I don't think anyone would miss it." Interludes are tricky things but definitely often unnecessary. I think this one serves it's purpose but if it didn't exist...you're right, I doubt I'd mind. @chrismoyer (9.5) joins the defense squad: "Y'all hate it just because of the name, but the song itself is so cute and adorable. I love it so much." I don't like the name, no but I agree with what you said here. The song exceeded @DJHazey's (5) expectations: "I thought this was going to be worse, but it's surprisingly pleasant sounding even if it's kind of a pointless listen if you ask me." I suppose this is complimentary.

There was definitely some shade being thrown. @Sprockrooster (4) references Big Dick Energy: "BDE or not. He didn't deserve a track named to him. Delete it." FACTS ONLY! @SophiaSophia (0) uses a classic: "Thank U, Next." I can't imagine this inspiring enough hate to drop a zero but she wasn't the only one. @aux (0) sounds regretful: "Too short for me to actually care for it sadly." You gave shorter Halsey interludes higher scores than this unnie! I'm with @Dijah. (8): "I… just wish she’d rename this." That would be nice. Actually @superultra (9) has an idea for the new name: "I love “happy (interlude).” I’m so glad she decided to name this “happy (interlude).” Who’s Pete Davidson? Whoever he is, I’m sorry to this man." 'Happy (Interlude)' it is! @RUNAWAY (4) sounds like my self hatred talking to me on a bad day: "What the fuck was the point of this 1 minute interlude, seriously? Completely a waste of space, and I’m glad she disowned the song." The point was that she was...happy I guess?

@pop3blow2 (8.25) says: "I’ma be happy. *oomph*" Heh, that about sums it up. @Music Is Life (8.5) is also kinda feeling "oomph": "This is a really cute interlude, and I love the production. After everything that’s happened, the ending is really depressing to be honest." A great summary of my post basically. Finally we'll end with the only commenter who gave this full marks, @Petit nain des Îles (10): "Much like Better Off, it feels at home on the following album. I wish it would have been a full song, as I can't count how many times I've replayed those 73 seconds." This comment actually makes me so happy. I'm so glad someone loves this so much!!

And that's that. Goodbye to 'Pete Davidson' the song and Pete Davidson the person. Now it's time to speculate as to which Sweetener track is leaving next! I love you all. Stay safe xo.

4. The interludephobia jumped out. Come on, this is one of the most stunning pieces of music she's been a part of. Like, nothing else in her discography sounds this cloud emoji. Thanks, I hate it.

6. Barely listen to this one must admit.

savilizabeths likes this.
  7. Imagine giving such a beautiful and important song on the album a 0 or a 1.

You can just truly feel it when she says "I'mma be happy", specially when we know the things she had been through at the time, and how this relationship helped her to still want to be happy.

It was such an uplifting song for me when it came out but now I just don't listen to it because of knowing how it went down in the end.

Mushroom, Music Is Death, Rem and 8 others like this.
  8. This is really cute and I used to listen to it often back when the album came out, but I don’t return to it these days considering what happened just a month later after this.
    However It was nice knowing that Ari was genuinely happy for a while, even if she was engaged to that person.

Crisp X and savilizabeths like this.
  9. This.

10. Yas, I can dig my Ariana Grande Discography Rate checklist out and start crossing songs off again! And we did well by seeing Pete off.

11. Aw come on now, Pete Davidson is the one interlude that makes sense (conversely, how is Raindrops still here? It's not even a song)
    Hopefully Sweetener/Successful get 1-2 punched out of here next

savilizabeths and SlowGinFizzzz like this.
  12. LEAVE SWEETENER ALONE

13. Oh my God, I'm honestly so mad it's not from My Everything ddddd.

Welcome back!!

14. As long as Sweetener's Big Four hold on, I don't care what happens to the rest of its tracks.

15. I’m not a bitter single woman who thinks Ariana doesn’t deserve happiness cause she absolutely does. I’m glad that relationship helped her personally in her life but in the end it sadly wasn’t to be and that’s why my commentary was Thank U, Next. Honestly I just find interludes utterly pointless I’d prefer if she had expressed her feelings at the time in a full song instead but with another title.

tea and savilizabeths like this.
  16. It's one thing to write a love song for a man who doesn't deserve it, it's another thing to name the song after his full name. Good riddance.

17. tea

tea

I'm just a spectator, but pete davidson should have been retitled and fully fledged out. It had potential.

savilizabeths and Crisp X like this.
  18. I’m on the way into town to sit in Starbucks and write an elimination so expect it later today! Thank you all for showing up again and keeping the thread active. You’re amazing!

19. [​IMG]

Ugly Beauty, junkos, Dijah. and 2 others like this.
  20. [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.