☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 61 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. This one has the most 10s in the rate so far!

[​IMG]

☁️ SWEETENER ☁️

Average: 6.421

When life deals us cards
    Make everything taste like it is salt
    Then you come through like the sweetener you are
    To bring the bitter taste to a halt

High: 10x12 (@Sprockrooster @chrismoyer @WhatKindOfKylie? @pop3blow2 @Dangerous Maknae @junkos @Espeon @Sanctuary @Petit nain des Îles @ysev @Music Is Life @citoig) 9.25x1 (@daninternational) 9x1 (@maikos87) 8.75x1 (@138Prince) 8.5x2 (@Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Robsolete) 8x4 (@stoicist @Vitamin @Mushroom @OspreyQueen)
    Low: 1x2 (@Ana Raquel @Ugly Beauty) 2x3 (@happiestgirl @Serg. @Cutlery) 3x5 (@Vixen @Wired Life @RUNAWAY @TwistedInnocence @DJHazey) 3.5x1 (@Laura Vanderbooben) 4x (@Laurence @SlowGinFizzzz @VitaminBee @elektroxx @Aester @AllGagaLike @soratami
    Total Points: 468.75
    My Score: 6/10

Everyone's favourite, Pharrell, takes another hit as we lose the title track from Ariana's fourth studio album Sweetener. Some of you have been calling for this for some time now, but it also managed to achieve the highest number of 10s given to a single song so far in this rate. That's an impressive feat, especially for something this divisve. We won't see a number that high for a very long time. Consider me surprised! 'Sweetener' is an odd mixture of gospel soul and literal Animal Crossing music vibes sprinkled with some...erm...quirky(???) adlibs from Pharrell. In it Ariana sings about someone who takes everything bad in life and makes things better, using the metaphor of sweetener being added to something to make it taste less bitter. It's likely about Pete, but we don't need to talk about him again.

And be honest, are we tired of talking about Pharrell yet? I'm excited for the day that all of his songs are eliminated and I don't have to discuss him again because what more is there to say? His half of Sweetener is filled with bizarre production choices that you either love or you hate. They're interesting but not always in a good way. In fact, very rarely are they interesting in a good way. His interjections here are probably one of his lesser offenses. They definitely get old, especially 'sheesh' every five seconds but they don't bother me all that much. I'd say the melody is my favourite part of this. Ariana sounds so smooth as she glides through it and it's actually incredibly catchy. It's far from a favourite of mine yet I find it taking up space in my head frequently. The chanting, almost 'Bop It'-esque parts are cute too. They're definitely fun to sing along to in your room alone. I also like some of the sound effects that always make me picture someone baking cupcakes or some shit. So I definitely enjoy this song to some degree.

I think my biggest problem actually lies in the lyrics. Not what she's trying to say but more the phrasing. It just sounds so awkward sometimes. "When everything tastes like it is salt" is just such a weird way to put it even though I know it was written that way to create a rhyme. Also "I like the way you lick the bowl" makes me giggle every time. What a....thing to say. There are some other odd lines that just don't flow for me but I'm probably just picky. It's just always been an odd one for me. I can never tell if I really like it or I'm just lukewarm on it. I definitely think the message is cute. It makes me think of my best friend. She's like sunshine on a rainy day. I've never met anyone like her. Overall, maybe it deserved a 6.5 to a 7 but we won't dwell on that.

You all definitely provided some mixed commentary. We'll start with @The Hot Rock (7) who says: "Animal Crossing who?" Truthfully I have never played an Animal Crossing game due to not being able to afford multiple gaming devices but I definitely know what people mean when they say this. I have played Pocket Camp though! @superultra (7) is aware of their odd taste: "I know my score for this song is a choice, but I have to stan a trainwreck." Don't worry, you're not alone. Look at all of those damn 10s! @Cutlery's slices the song to pieces: "BLEURGH. Such a happy, diabetic coma-inducing, Pharrell-adlib piece of garbage. You can't even recycle this thing." Ooof, tell us how you really feel! @daninternational (9.25) surpisingly likes this one: "Love the retro feel here (for once)." Yeah, we're going to bump heads when it comes to more Yours Truly eliminations, aren't we? @chrismoyer (10) shouts out his mom: "SO CATCHY! In concert, this was fucking lit! I know some people think it’s bad, it has to grow honestly for people! The pre-choruses are so lovely as is the bridge, and the song is just a bop. It’s my mom’s favorite song!" I'm still jealous that you've seen Ari live so many times (and met her TWICE)!

As usual people had some opinions on Pharrell. @reputation. (7.5) makes me wheeze: "Another victim of Pharrell. He ruined what could have been a great bop with his yelping and wheezing in the background. I gave it a 7.5 cause it’s a grower and I can’t help but start bopping whenever it comes on!" Don't forget 'SHEESH'! @Petit nain des Îles (10) has kind words for our favourite to hate producer: "Hot take: Pharrell's quirky production makes the song instead of working against it. What would have been a more typical tune reminiscent of Yours Truly is transformed into a weird Animal Crossing / soul influenced hybrid. This SHOULDN'T work, yet they did it. I adore the hip-hop flow in the chorus." Yeah, I actually agree with you here. I think this is one of the only times his production somewhat works. @RUNAWAY (3) does some yelling: "FUCK OFF PHARRELL. If she could do a 10 year anniversary re-master of this album and completely remove Pharrell’s vocals, that’d be great. He completely ruins this song. Such a fucking disappointment. And this is the TITLE TRACK. Good god." Oh, I'd love it if she did that! Mostly for 'R.E.M' honestly. Poor @Milotic (7) has to wait a little longer for some My Everything depatures: "Flip it flip it, mix it and mix it and mix it... Oop, sorry, was too busy begrudgingly bopping." I'll bop with you!

Resident My Everything stan @DJHazey (3) comes for Sweetener: "This isn't her best album so I can't really say it's de-railing anything but it's not even close to being good either. It's actually kind of messy if I'm being honest and being scored accordingly." Your album opinions are irrelevant because you don't like Yours Truly and that's that. Although....I agree because Sweetener is my second to least favourite album she's ever made. And finally, my fave @pop3blow2 (10) stans weird as always: "What an absurdly little upbeat little song. The ‘when life deals us cards’ melody in the pre-chorus here is just fantastic songwriting… like I’m insanely jealous of it & I don’t really write songs much anymore. The ‘Bop-It’ inspired chorus is just pure pop whimsy. Pharrell’s dorky background vocals are a choice here, but they work with whole quirky vibe of the song, for me." Thank you for helping me nail down the Bop It! comparison because I couldn't figure out what it sounded like for the longest time! I'm also completely with you about the melody. I crave to write a melody like this!

So there we go. Are you happy with the Sweetener cuts? A song from thank u, next will fall tomorrow. Any guesses? I'll see you then. For now just take care of yourselves. I love you all!

2. And then you get it, get it, get it, get it (ayy)
    Hit it, hit it, hit it, hit it (ayy)
    Flip it, flip it, flip it
    You make me say oh, oh (sheesh, sheesh)
    Twist it, twist it, twist it, twist it
    Mix it and mix it and mix it and mix it
    Kiss it, kiss it, kiss it
    You make me say oh, oh (sheesh, sheesh)

[​IMG]

3. how did it get this far is a mystery to me

also can break up please leave

RUNAWAY and savilizabeths like this.
  4. This level of Sweetenerphobia is disgusting.

Said I don't know what I'd do without you in my life, it'd be so sour

[​IMG]

I'm hoping that everybody can experience what we have in ours

[​IMG]

This part & and the ad-libs in the live version are discography highlights and I'm sorry for those of you who can not see it.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Music Is Death, ysev, junkos and 5 others like this.
  5. The fact that I don't even remember how this song goes...

savilizabeths likes this.
  6. Consider yourself lucky!

soratami, Esprit, Cutlery and 6 others like this.
  7. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Sweetener is getting just what it deserves dddd. No Tears Left To Cry and Breathin for top 10 though!

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  8. Honestly, the entirety of Sweetener can vacate, aside from "breathin'," "everytime," "God is a woman" and "no tears left to cry," which all deserve Top 20.

9. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

Sweetener essential songs:
    God is a woman
    everytime
    breathin
    no tears left to cry
    better off
    goodnight n go

The rest can go. x

10. Sweetener being culled like this is very disappointing but not at all surprising. Y'all hear one trap beat and floor it. Why is trash like Just A Little Bit Of Your Shart still here?

All the Max Martin produced songs? groundbreaking.gif

11. This is why I trust you.

RUNAWAY, nikkysan and Slice of Life like this.
  12. Back-to-back amazing cuts from Sweetener. The only songs I really need from it:

God Is a Woman
    Successul
    Breathin'
    No Tears Left to Cry

with a few other playables.

13. One of those is not like the others.

Esprit, Music Is Death, Blond and 7 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]

15. As if I'm going to change my perception that all of these are the album's elite after what you had to say about some of Golden's best tracks!

16. These are my 4 favorites also!

Not too upset about the title track. I have days where I love it and days where I hate it. Guess I was liking it that day.

savilizabeths and DJHazey like this.
  17. Exactly the reason why I'm lowkey upset by this Sweetener cull. I'm not saying the album is free of flaws but when there are still some average and uninspired songs from My Everything or even Dangerous Woman left, I start to question the taste of these hoes.

ysev, nikkysan, junkos and 1 other person like this.
  18. You know, if we're going to start calling for Just a Little Bit of Your Heart, I'm not liable if some y'all get hurt.

19. These best of Sweetener lists without goodnight n go? Get taste.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.