☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 68 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. I'm still mad Rule the World left so early. So undeserved.

2. how dare you?

3. Whew, no one is going to like my scores for the rest of the Christmas songs huh?

savilizabeths likes this.
  4. I’ll be posting the Top 70 a bit later followed by the elimination of another single!

Will it be one you’ve been calling for?

5. ☁️ MEET YOUR TOP 70! ☁️
    YOURS TRULY (9/12)

Honeymoon Avenue
    Baby I
    Right There (ft. Big Sean)
    Tattooed Heart
    Lovin' It
    Piano
    Daydreamin'
    The Way (ft. Mac Miller)
    You'll Never Know
    CHRISTMAS KISSES (1/5)

Santa Tell Me
    MY EVERYTHING (14/17)

Intro
    Problem (ft. Iggy Azalea)
    One Last Time
    Why Try
    Break Free (ft. Zedd)
    Best Mistake (ft. Big Sean)
    Be My Baby (ft. Cashmere Cat)
    Break Your Heart Right Back (ft. Childish Gambino)
    Love Me Harder (ft. The Weeknd)
    Just a Little Bit of Your Heart
    Hands on Me (ft. ASAP Ferg)
    My Everything
    Bang Bang (w/ Jessie J & Nicki Minaj)
    Only 1
    CHRISTMAS & CHILL (3/6)

Wit it This Christmas
    December
    True Love
    DANGEROUS WOMAN (14/18)

Moonlight
    Dangerous Woman
    Be Alright
    Into You
    Side to Side (featuring Nicki Minaj)
    Let Me Love You (featuring Lil Wayne)
    Greedy
    Everyday (featuring Future)
    Sometimes
    Bad Decisions
    Touch It
    Knew Better / Forever Boy
    Thinking Bout You
    Focus
    SWEETNER (10/15)

Raindrops (An Angel Cried)
    R.E.M
    God is a Woman
    Successful
    Everytime
    Breathin’
    No Tears Left to Cry
    Better Off
    Goodnight n Go
    Get Well Soon
    THANK U, NEXT (10/13)

Imagine
    Needy
    NASA
    Bloodline
    Fake Smile
    Bad Idea
    Ghostin’
    In My Head
    Thank U, Next
    Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored
    EXTRAS (9/16)

Adore (with Cashmere Cat)
    All My Love
    Boyfriend (with Social House)
    Dance to This (with Troye Sivan)
    Don’t Call Me Angel (with Miley Cyrus and Lana Del Rey)
    Get on Your Knees (with Nicki Minaj)
    Knew Better (Part Two)
    My Favourite Part (with Mac Miller)
    Quit (with Cashmere Cat)

6. I have to say, the first two albums are doing shockingly well so far. Really wasn't expecting that.

savilizabeths likes this.
  7. why is break up still there!!!!!!

8. Because it's a bop and I gave it a 10.

9. [​IMG]

10. Because it's stans crawled out of the woodwork. It definitely got it's share of 10s.

11. "Focus" can go. Please and thank you.

Also, "Santa Tell Me" can go too. After that, we can leave the Christmas songs alone for a while.

12. Another single bites the dust.

[​IMG]

☁️ FOCUS
    ☁️

Average: 6.688

I can tell you're curious
    It's written on your lips
    Ain't no need to hold it back
    Go head and talk your shit

High: 10x6 (@GimmeWork @WhatKindOfKylie? @RUNAWAY @Wired Life @Music Is Life @citoig) 9.5x1 (@Dijah.) 9x5 (@dylanaber @Milotic @Laura Vanderbooben @Ana Raquel @superultra @savilizabeths) 8.5x2 (@stoicist @junkos) 8x9 (@chrismoyer @BreatheBox @CorgiCorgiCorgi @ufint @Serg. @TwistedInnocence @SophiaSophia @reputation. @OspreyQueen)
    Low: 0x2 (@aux @Cutlery) 1x2 (@Robsolete @lemonsqueezyy) 2x1 (@fatyoshi) 4x4 (@SlowGinFizzzz @Hurricane Drunk @Ugly Beauty @Dangerous Maknae)
    Total Points: 488.25
    My Score: 9/10

In May of 2015, Ariana Grande came back after the mega success of her second album My Everything. The song was called 'Focus' and we'll be bidding it farewell today.

I first heard the soft record fuzz burst into bombastic retro brass on a Friday night. This song came out in a very memorable period of my life. I was nineteen and spending every Friday night at a gay bar with my best friend. I was a few months away from dying my hair bright red, I was coming to terms with my bisexuality and everyone at the bar knew me as the 'Ariana Grande girl' because the first day we ever went there my best friend went to the music station and put on every Ariana song they had in honour of me. We would usually meet in town and go back to my place to get ready which usually involved me spending ages picking an outfit and attempting to put on makeup. My go-to look was some crappy Lush 'foundation', mascara and my MAC Ariana Grande lipstick which was a blackened purple and dried the living fuck out of my lips. I anxiously waited for the songs release and from the second it was out we listened to nothing else. It was on repeat. As my friend straightened my hair, he decided we should put it up in the signature Ari half ponytail, particularly based on her hair in the 'Focus' music video and by the end of the night we knew the song backwards and forwards. Shit, this is making me really nostalgic.

I think at that time I would have given 'Focus' a 10 easily. I might have been in denial about the chorus because back then Ariana Grande could do no wrong in my eyes. I bopped to even the weakest of her tracks with so much unconditional love. I didn't want to think badly about any of her songs. No even a small aspect of one. So in honour of that we're going to get the negatives out of the way first so we can focus (get it!) on what I love about this song. And duh! The biggest problem (get it!) is that....chorus? Is that what it's meant to be? It's basically just flipping the whispered chorus of 'Problem' on it's head and using yelping instead. It's so unpleasant. I mean, it's something different and it definitely stands out so I guess that's something. If I'm being honest though....I'm used to it. It doesn't bother me anymore. I can't be too annoyed when it's ridiculous but kinda iconic?

Another negative argument is that it's 'Problem' rehashed. And yeah, it is. You know, if 'Problem' sounded a little less dated and didn't have Iggy on it. What is it about 'Problem' that didn't age well? I'm not sure yet but, despite the fact that I do love it, it really didn't. 'Focus' is crisper, punchier and it's just...better to me overall. There is one thing that bothers me a little though. Ariana has explained the meaning of 'Focus' and what it's trying to say, which is great! It's a good message.

"When I say, "Focus on me", I'm not asking to be the center of attention. I'm not asking you to focus on my face or my clothes or my body or my singing voice. By "focus on me", I literally mean focus on me. Focus on what I'm all about and what I believe in. The more we focus on each other as people and not on what we look like, what we're wearing, our gender, our hairstyle, our sexuality, the color of our skin. But focus on each other on a soul level. The more we realize how much we have in common, the more we listen to each other, the more one we become."

The problem lies in the fact that I'm not sure this comes across in the actual song. It doesn't sound like she's saying that. At least not to me. It's a great sentiment but if you have to explain the meaning of your song then the song hasn't relayed the message properly. It should be able to speak for itself, you know? I think the reason it doesn't work is because of the emphasis. The emphasis is being put on the word 'focus' instead of me. Both her and Jamie Foxx sound like they're saying 'FOCUS on me' when what they're trying to say is 'focus on ME'. Does that make sense?

I'd like to talk about the positives now. Starting with the production which is honestly great. There's so much punch and fire behind it. The percussion is almost messy and clanging. It kind of sounds like a group of kds messing about in music class if you made that sound good. The horns are smooth and sound perfect in the mix. I love how everything is pretty laid back and simple in the verses to support Ariana's powerful vocals before the synths burst in for the pre-chorus and start building towards the percussion heavy (Jamie Foxx filled) chorus. And god, I love the breakdown before the bridge with the major horn focus. It gets me every time. And then when it falls into the soft synths for the bridge as they slowly work up to her slightly raspy belt before the 'ding' sound! Iconic! Plus, she sounds fantastic! We've spoken a lot lately about her softer, airy, delicate vocals but Ariana really lets go here. She's belting, she's mixing, she's adlibbing, she's giving us everything. Yet it's also more controlled than something like 'Problem'. Brilliant!

We should also take a minute to talk about the video. Is this one of my favourite Ariana Grande music videos? Maybe so. It's serving glitzy dance iconic goodness. She is serving some major looks! The hair was a true MOMENT and though I know some people hated it, I think it was gorgeous. The outfits were amazing! The choreography was fun as fuck! The shots and direction were A+! The product placement was iconic! We love to see it!

And yeah this was cut from Dangerous Woman which was originally called Moonlight but then she changed direction, realised this didn't do well and was just 'Problem 2.0', scrapped it and released 'Dangerous Woman' instead. Thought I'd add those important details in and pretend I'm professional.

Now that I'm done talking, we'll hear from you. You guys had plenty to say as well. @CorgiCorgiCorgi (8) said it: "It is hard to *not* focus on a chorus like that." I suppose they succeeded then. Though I guess they made us focus on Jamie Foxx and not Ariana, so that misses the point. @Crisp X (6.5) loves the pre-chorus...and the solo version: "They really wasted that stunning pre-chorus on such a racket. Added +0,5 points thanks to the solo version." An iconic racket though! Seems @DJHazey (6) just can't embrace the chorus like I have: I absolutely adore the verses, but what on earth is that chorus? "I haven't listened to this in years and thought to myself "oh yeah I know what happens here, I forget what makes the chorus so bad... maybe time has made me more open-minded" but nope there still isn't a way to reconcile it. What a missed opportunity." Let's be real, I know you're right but hey, I like what I like. @reputation. (8) throws a big insult Jamie Foxx's way: "Obviously, my only problem here is Jamie Foxx’s ugly ass voice in the chorus. The original Pharrell. Ironically, I like this song more than Problem now." OUCH! The original Pharrell. You did not mince words! @chrismoyer (8) christens this a bop: "Still a bop. While it is seen as a weaker version of Problem, it’s still a fun as hell song to dance to! And the pre-chorus is one of her best moments!" Well I think it's superior to 'Problem' so there you go. My tastes don't match up with @pop3blow2 (5) today: "A bit of a mess. Not a fan of this one. That ‘focus on me’ vocal part by Jamie Foxx was a choice here." Usually you like weird!

@Ugly Beauty (4) puts this and 'Problem' together in the teen movie cafeteria: "This and Problem sit at the same table." The nostalgic hits table? The kinda iconic table? @daninternational (6.5) is 'meh': "It was underwhelming at the time, and still is." I can see finding this underwhelming even though I love it. @TwistedInnocence (8) has great music video taste: "Low-key one of her best music videos." I think you mean high-key! @Dijah. (9.5) also stans the video: "Y’all hate to see it but this is still a stone-cold bawp with a great video." Your taste wins! @fatyoshi (2) is here for one part and one part only: "The pre-chorus is a bit of a serve. Too bad about well... everything else." Well at least everyone seems to agree that the pre-chorus goes off! @Milotic (9) seems to have also embraced the chorus over time: "I've always loved this. It's a bit of a mess, and the FOCUS ON ME can be jarring upon first listen, but it's just good fun and great to dance to." Who doesn't love a good mess at times? @superultra (9) has some strong opinions: "Just like “Deja Vu” by Beyoncé is superior to “Crazy in Love,” “Focus” has always been superior “Problem.” I have to deal with some fuck-ass opinions on this site, so y’all are going to have to live with mine." YASS!

Now let's spend some time with the 0's and the 10's. @aux (0) keeps it simple: "Unnecessary rehash of Problem." And what of it? @GimmeWork (10) is coming to it's defense: "Y’all do too much to poor Focus. She’s a cute bop and the video is actually one of her best in my opinion." 'Focus' video stans unite! @Cutlery (0) will apologise for only one dragging: "Her worst song. Jamie trying to provide a gnawed carcass in place of a chorus, the cowbell, the Disney/Nick "fun" reheat, the purple wig (okay I kid with this one)... It's all very tragic." Her worst song? Really? Damn, sure, okay. So we'll end with two passionate 10 givers. @RUNAWAY (10) wanted this to go number one: "This song is Problem, but done better. It helps that there’s no Iggy, and Ari actually sings on the chorus instead of Jason Derulo’s whispers. I don’t understand how this song flopped honestly. Everything was so perfect. The incredible video. That ICONIC white haired single cover. The buildup, the promotion, and then it peaks at...7?! It’s so amazing, and I hate that it wasn’t her first number one." Okay I completely agree with you but...Jason Derulo? Was this a deliberate mistake? Do you hate Big Sean? Haha. And finally @Music Is Life (10) gives it full marks despite admitting it could be improved: "I’ve always loved this to be honest. Sure, it’s a Problem rip-off, but it’s a fun one, and I just love the verses and pre-chorus. The chorus does grate on me a bit with Jamie. If it was just her, I think it’d be better. Everything else is so catchy and I love the lyrics, it’s so much fun to sign along to." I know I could have corrected your typo but I'm not going to xoxo.

Oooof that was a long one! Farewell 'Focus', I'll miss you. When will it's twin leave I wonder? Our next song to vacate is an Extra. Any guesses? As usual please stay safe and I love you! See you tomorrow!

13. Welp

14. Wait. I wasn't one of the lowest scorers for "Focus"?! Damn, I must've been feeling generous that day if I didn't give it a sub 4 score.

Edit: I gave "Focus" a six?! I don't know this person who gave "Focus" a six, tbh.

15. Goodbye.

'Focus' was one of my lowest scores.

I just can't with Jamie Foxx's bit in that song. It just grates on me & is so try hard. It comes off like a bad SNL parody of a pop song.

That Samsung product placement in the video is a scream, too... especially since I'm pretty sure she's an iPhone person if I remember correctly from an interview I saw. I'm a tech nerd, so obviously I've probably focused on the wrong thing. *drumhit*

I'm just being silly, get that promo coin, Ari.

16. I don't really like it, but way too many songs have left considering there's 4 Christmas songs left!

slaybellz and savilizabeths like this.
  17. And every single one of them is an iconic bop that transcend their Christmas origins. Besides "Santa Tell Me." "Santa Tell Me" can choke.

18. I gave it a 7 but not sad to see it go.

junkos and savilizabeths like this.
  19. I feel like I can finally breathe in this thread.

Now let's get rid of those Christmas b-sides, half of My Everything, and a few extras.

20. Yougettoexhalenowsimon.gif I gave up trying to embed ddd

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.