☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 69 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. An iconic tasteless duo xo

2. This write-up is another 10/10, fantastic and cute again.

3. I feel all warm and fuzzy when y'all comment on my write ups so thank you!

Speaking of, I sent the first paragraph to the mentioned best friend and he loved it and saved it to his notes because it made him so happy.

4. That write up was a mood I was taken back to my earlier Ari stanning days rocking the half ponytail with my Ariana Grande Lipsy dress and also Focus was a serve.

5. It really is a great write-up. I was busy today and only glanced at the elim post, so thanks @Laurence for making me go back and read it <3

6. I have to agree, these write-ups really are super cute. It's so interesting to hear the stories that people associate with certain songs.

7. I honestly love you guys! Especially since that was such a goddamn long write up, it really warms my heart to know people are reading and enjoying. It was such a nostalgic thing to write. Clearly @SophiaSophia and I would have had a fantastic time stanning Ari together. I wanted that dress so badly but I couldn't get it in NZ. RIP me.

Anyway, elimination incoming!

8. This is a tricky one.

[​IMG]

☁️ MY FAVOURITE PART ☁️
    (WITH MAC MILLER)

Average: 6.698

Before things come together, they have to fall apart
    It's been a while since I've been sober
    This life can be so hard, I'd rather talk about you

High: 10x6 (@superultra @138Prince @Crisp X @aaronhansome @Vitamin @chrismoyer) 9.5x1 (@ysev) 9x12 (@Music Is Life @Remorque @Sanctuary @RUNAWAY @Serg. @aux @maikos87 @CorgiCorgiCorgi @junkos @boombazookajoe @WhatKindOfKylie? @dylanaber) 8.75x1 (@pop3blow2) 8.5x2 (@Aester @sapnu puas)
    Low: 0x1 (@Laurence) 1x2 (@daninternational @DJHazey) 3x2 (@Dangerous Maknae @Espeon) 3.5x2 (@Hurricane Drunk @andrewdarwitan) 4x5 (@GimmeWork @Holly Something @VitaminBee @SophiaSophia @citoig) 4.5x1 (@AllGagaLike)
    Total Points: 489
    My Score: 6/10

It's hard to score objectively given circumstances like these, at least it is for me. Today we say goodbye to Ariana's duet with the late Mac Miller, 'My Favourite Part'.

What can I even say? Mac's passing was shocking and heartbreaking. It always is when someone is taken so young and tragically. He was an absolute talent and you could tell he had a passion for what he made. He also seemed like a genuinely kind and sweet person despite his demons. All we can do is hope he's in a better place now and celebrate the work he created.

So we will celebrate it. Despite my low score, I like this song a lot. The muted R&B vibes of the production are so smooth and inviting. It sounds like something you would want to put on your record play and relax to while having a romantic drink or something. It's absolutely lovely and calming. It also makes me feel like I'm in a dimly lit jazz club. Basically I feel like I'm not equipped to discuss the details of the music but I can definitely describe how it makes me feel. There's so much soul to this and it sounds so classy. I really love every little part of the instrumentation. It creates the mood so well. I also want to hear that bassline on headphones.

We're going to talk about vocals now, because I do have thoughts. I am a vocal snob. If I don't like the vocals on a song it will sometimes ruin the entire experience for me, and I'm goddamn picky about it. Insert pretentious babbling about performing arts school and all that bullshit. So yes, Mac's vocals aren't technically good. That's not where his skills were. Sometimes I find myself not listening to the track because of this. It could almsot sound like someone drunkenly slurring at karaoke. BUT! All that being said, that's it's charm, isn't it? That's what's so sweet about it. He sounds like your boyfriend singing quietly to you while you're lyinig in bed and you're blushing and telling him to shut up but you secretly love it. It's so lovestruck and pure! It doesn't have to sound perfect. It sounds real, and that's what I love about it. He sounds real and in love and imperfect and slightly intoxicated and raw. So while I may not listen to it all the time because I'm a trashy snob, I love what it's doing and what it says.

Let's also mention that Ariana sounds absolutely beautiful and they actually sound gorgeous together. The final choruses truly ascend.

I also love the lyrics. It's nothing fancy. In fact, the 'you don't know you're beautiful' sentiment is overdone but once again, that's what works. He's just spilling out how he feels. Like how you can't stop the words flowing when you've had a little to drink. This is raw and honest and sweet. It doesn't sound fake or calcuated like some of these songs can. You can feel that he means it. There's a unashamed sincere quality to everything in this song that is so endearing. I also want to mention that the highlighted lyric in this post really hits hard considering the circumstances of his passing.

So this post is a little ramble-y. I think I'm going to hand it to you guys. A lot of our high scorers didn't comment. In fact, we didn't get a lot of commentary at all. Considering the theme of celebration, I urge you high scorers to share why you love this in the thread so we can embrace positivity! Anyway, let's begin with the negative and end with the positive. @daninternational (1) says he's sorry, but isn't:
    "Soz about it." Live your truth. Our lowest scorer, @Laurence (0) keeps his comment short and simple: "Trash." I think some people will argue that your chosen word describes your taste perfectly. For our last low scorer to comment, @DJHazey (1) says: "Don't have any time for a Mac Miller-dominated song, nothing personal." We like what we like, I suppose.

@reputation. (7.5) describes it perfectly: "A beautiful song although I don’t go back to it often. So bittersweet." How I feel in less words. Perfect. @RUNAWAY (9) is stanning the vocals: "This was really something. I LOVED THIS. Their voices together were so perfect." They honestly did sound lovely together. @Milotic (7.5) likes it too: "This was cute!" So are you! And our final two comments come from 10 givers. @Crisp X (10) made a discovery: "Wow, probably my favorite discovery of this rate. This is so smooth! Mac was such a talented musician, performer, singer, rapper, lyricist, etc. so hearing this feels bittersweet. I also need to hear Ariana over a similar realm in the future. Perhaps with D'Angelo?" I would also love to hear Ariana do something like this again. It suits her so well! Finally, @chrismoyer (10) isn't going to be happy with this elimination: "AW LOVE THIS SONG. This should be higher than The Way, it’s better. The song is laid-back, chill, very pretty and Mac’s vocals and singing are so heartfelt. The R&B vibes on this one are fantastic, Ariana needs to do more songs like this! Her voice fits perfectly. The song just has the perfect for a rainy day vibe." You're right! I want to listen to it on a rainy day now! I love your passion as usual.

And that's that. All of you high scorers should share some love in the thread and also guess what will be out next! It's another single...Stay safe and I love you all!

9. (Can we also appreciate that #69 is on page 69 and has a 69 in the average???)

10. Bang Bang needs to go on a holiday and never come back.

soratami, slaybellz, DJHazey and 5 others like this.
  11. Boo, this is anti-Black!

12. I'm not mad about the fall of Focus but I can't imagine disliking My Favorite Part this much, but then it's also true that the struggle vocals from Mac are an acquired taste. It could have left with a 7 average at least. It doesn't feel right!

savilizabeths likes this.
  13. How Janet!

14. You know I love this, right? (and I love that you noticed it, too!)

It's also a 23x3.... for the poor souls who participated in a certain numerology enhanced round of PJ00's, ddd

[​IMG]

Sprockrooster, soratami, ysev and 6 others like this.
  15. No elimination today guys. I am in bed sick with absolutely no energy to spare. I'll do my best to be back tomorrow.

17. Focus going out so soon is shame, but not that surprising. Always felt the initial hype about it and then it sinking without a trace pretty much has not helped it over the years either.

Music Is Death and savilizabeths like this.
  18. Oh woops I could have left my commentary out but I guess I really did not feel it... my bad. I would rate it differently, I think I copied the score over from somewhere... my bad

soratami and savilizabeths like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.