☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 75 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. The fact that we're halfway into a rate on Popjustice dot com and there's still a Christmas song called December in the rate shows how... random the results of this rate have been.

Esprit, Sprockrooster, Serg. and 6 others like this.
  2. Raindrops still being here (especially when the more interesting Sweetener interlude left long ago) is so random

3. December deserves a top 40 spot unlike some other choices here honestly....

savilizabeths likes this.
  4. [​IMG]

savilizabeths and Milotic like this.
  5. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This disgraceful biphobic mess should have been gone 40 positions ago. There are many mainstream female pop songs I've hated these past years, but hating it & finding it extremely offensive at the same time... this one takes the cake. Easily one of the worst songs I've listened in the past few years and I still can't believe this was done by the same producers of No Tears Left To Cry. A shame.

6. I’ve never watched the video for Break Up... cause I didn’t want to give it clicks cause of the queerbaiting in it likewise I did the same with 7 Rings due to the cultural appropriation and blackfishing in it. I gave both songs a 9 because I felt the production alone on both songs deserved it. I just wish both songs had better lyricism and music videos that’s not problematic. I must premise that apart from when I first heard the album I don’t stream these songs due to the lyricism and I only did so for the purposes of this rate as a reminder.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  7. That's quite true!

8. This is my new favourite thread response. I love you and I’m really happy that I could help you understand.

ysev, berserkboi, DJHazey and 3 others like this.
  9. We're really coming close to....

Eliminating all of the Christmas songs....

[​IMG]

☁️ WIT IT THIS CHRISTMAS ☁️

Average: 6.897

We don't need no presents
    We don't need that kitchen
    We don't need them recipes
    You know I'm tasty like a candy cane or gingerbread
    I'm made with love

High: 10x5 (@WhatKindOfKylie? @Vitamin @Crisp X @superultra @Butterfly) 9.25x1 (@Music Is Life) 9x8 (@lemonsqueezyy @ufint @aaronhansome @elektroxx @TwistedInnocence @RUNAWAY @slaybellz @savilizabeths) 8.5x4 (@Cutlery @ysev @Petty Mayonnaise @chrismoyer) 8x8 (@Dijah. @junkos @happiestgirl @maikos87 @Sanctuary @Vixen @SlowGinFizzzz @reputation.)
    Low: 1x1 (@Espeon) 3x3 (@Laurence @Robsolete @Hurricane Drunk) 4x3 (@blaze_dave @daninternational @GimmeWork) 4.5x1 (@VitaminBee) 5x6 (@2014 @AllGagaLike @Serg. @Ana Raquel @SophiaSophia @Wired Life)
    Total Points: 503.5
    My Score: 9/10

Our first elimination of the Top 60 is 'Wit it This Christmas', the iconic hoe anthem of Christmas & Chill. We have chosen the two ultimate Ariana Christmas songs and sadly, this one just doesn't make the cut. Ari herself has said this is her favourite on the EP, so it's nice to see that she has taste in her own music for once. 'Wit it This Christmas' is a mix of trap, R&B and, of course, Christmas. It's a goddamn holiday sex bop. What more could you want?

To me, this song acts as the centrepiece of Christmas & Chill. It's the album's mission statement. The themes explored in this collection of songs are sex and love around the holidays. It's not traditional overdone standards. This isn't a song you cuddle up by the fire and open presents to. This is a song you tease with. It's a song where you explore your sexuality amidst the holiday spirit. It's not a song for wrapping up and keeping warm, it's a song for stripping down and keeping warm. It's an anthem for all of my fellow whores. Christmas light bondage anyone?

So how does it do all of that? Well, the production and vocals are gorgeous. While I said that the production of 'True Love' sounded muddy to me, this sounds crisp as fuck. It's more minimal when it needs to be and does more when it's appropriate. There's a gorgeous build from the softer percussion and bells of the verses to the slightly heavier trap vibes in the chorus. I love the bouncy flow of the verse and the smooth pre-chorus. And, of course....STRINGS! The inclusion of strings makes this sound romantic instead of just sexy. The string outro is almost like when the sex is done and now you're curled up by the fire together. Plus, it's just stunning in general. It's so lush and literally gives me chills every time I hear it. What a lovely twist to finish off this sultry bop! And we can't forget her vocals. Her delivery is so fun and playful. It's powerful in parts but softer in others depending on what the lyrics call for. There's also the harmonies, as fucking usual. There are so many harmonic moments here that I love. The lower part in the first verse on "we don't need no fireplace." The background 'ahhs' in the chorus. The harmony build up when she sings "I'm tasty like candy cane or gingerbread, I'm made with love." Her gorgeous belted harmony over the second pre-chorus! It's all so gorgeous.

You can't forget the playful as fuck lyrics. I love the idea of taking more innocent, traditional Christmas motifs and twisting them into something sluttier. I'll never think about milk and cookies the same again. The second verse is my favourite where she's basically just like....we could make cute festive snacks but I taste better, so you should eat me instead. Can you say iconic? Is the chorus repetitive? Sure it is but it's fun and it works so well in the context of everything here. This isn't a song to be taken too seriously. It's meant to be silly while still making you feel like a bad ass sexy bitch. I can't listen to this song without wanting to have a little fun, even if it isn't Christmas time. This is a holiday song that works the entire year round and if you can't appreciate that then I don't know what to tell you.

Commentary panel, let's go! The lovely @reputation. (8) sums it up perfectly: "A sexy sensual bop." That it is. @RUNAWAY (9) praises the EP as a whole: "This Christmas EP is such a chill mood piece, and I love it so much more than Christmas Kisses. This song is such a perfect moody song for the season." It's undeniably better than Christmas Kisses. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. @daninternational (4) shrugs: "It's alright but no classic." It's a classic if you're a hoe like I am. @chrismoyer (8.5) has taste as usual: "Very catchy song! Probably her catchiest Christmas song. Love the metaphors and “Are you down for somebody’s milk and cookies?” is just a great line." It sure is, and an iconic one at that. @Milotic (4) keeps their dragging simple: "LOL. Nope." That was exactly my reaction when I saw this comment.

At least @pop3blow2 (7.5) stans one part of this: "Not really a fave, but I do like the string outro." I mean, that is one of the best bits so I'll accept this. @Music Is Life (9.25) is surprised: "Ummm the production kinda slaps on this one huh? I wasn’t ready for that. The rest of it is cute." Listen to this again in December and live your best slutty life, okay? @TwistedInnocence (10) uses a big word (that I have used multiple times in most posts): "The lyrics are iconic - a sexy festive bop!" Exactly! Thank you! @Crisp X (10) is regretful: "To think I could have listened to this song the past four Christmas… On par with the best R&B out there, but having it Christmas themed works just right too." I hope you enjoy this upcoming Christmas when you blast this bop! And lastly, @superultra (10) gets it: "This song makes me wanna be a WHORE. I think this is when I started stanning harder." YES TO THIS!

Only two Christmas songs left--'December' and 'Santa Tell Me'. Which will win? Where will they place? When you next hear from me we will be eliminating a ballad...but one I don't stan with my entire life. I'll see you then. For now, stay safe and I love you all!

soratami, GimmeWork, ysev and 32 others like this.
  10. Wit It This Christmas is my jam all year round.

11. I actually prefer December, oops. but this one is cute (or not? judging from the lyrics ddd).

Santa Tell Me probably has it in the bag as the 'winning' Christmas song.

junkos and savilizabeths like this.
  12. Me writing my commentary for Christmas & Chill:

[​IMG]

Sprockrooster, Crisp X, Serg. and 2 others like this.
  13. [​IMG]

Give me sleighbells, festive jumpers and all the other overtly cliched traditional xmas paraphernalia instead.

Crisp X, Blond, Ashling92 and 2 others like this.
  14. "Santa Tell Me" better not be the last Christmas track left standing.

Christmas & Chill >>>>>>>>>>> Christmas Kisses.

15. "Plus.......it has strings, I love strings. I will never stop screaming about strings." I know... ddd

16. Okay, there's a few songs I gotta talk about but first:
    break up yada yada - FINALLY. Whew. So glad it didn't make top 60. And I have more to say.
    Let's start with the actual song. I wanna thank our lovely host @savilizabeths for explaining how it is very problematic lyrically, as I didn't pick up on - or ignored - the woman hating/mean girl tone of it all. But I've always felt the whole "her stealing this girl's guy cause she can" is just kinda cringey. Now don't get me wrong - like my bestie, I'm a huge fan of morally ambiguous themes and "bad" lyrical narratives (in the sense of the actions, not the actual way it's written.) This is why for example, JoJo is one of my favorite artists - she delves into dark and morally wrong lyrics quite often. So Bad (from her recent album, good to know, released in May, stream it now it's amazing) has similar lyrical ideas to this. In that song, Jo asks her guy if his girlfriend knows certain sexual things about him, and wonders if she needs to know he needs Jo so bad, despite saying he loves his girl. It's very sexy and sensual, similar to "break up" (though more successfully in my opinion, but we'll get to that) but one major difference: she never attacks the girlfriend. She knows she's the other woman in this situation, and despite that, she's willing to indulge this guy, because she enjoys him as much as he does her. And that's wrong, yes. But it isn't coming from a place of wanting to hurt this girl.
    Now everything else - I'm just so bored by it. The production is rather basic for Ari - it sounds like her song, but it sounds like something she made in less then a day you know? The production tries for sexy and sensual, but just kinda limps along. Like, it's supposed to be a heated bop, but feels like more of a lukewarm mid-tempo to me. I also hate the vocal production, especially on the hook. It actually annoys me. Ari's voice should never annoy me.
    If I had any positives to say, it's that there are moments where Ari sounds great, and it's technically produced well, even if I personally don't think it works. The bridge is the best part, melodically and musically. I wish that was part of a different song.
    Everything else surrounding it is so infuriating. It makes NO DAMN SENSE as the final track on the album. It is not an album closer. The title track would've been much better, thematically speaking. And as a single - well it worked for her, but it's such a boringly obvious single choice that it just annoys me even more.
    And then there's that music video. I just...seeing a piece of media that was always going to be consumed by hundreds of millions of people so blatantly use bisexuality for a marketing tool and shock value to create hype pisses me off. It reduces something as complicated as queerness and identity to a tool for people to play around with, for a "twist" ending, while a male looks on, anticipating the kiss probably more then the two girls do. Which is a gross representation of female queerness in and of itself. And like our host pointed out, they didn't even commit! We don't actually see a kiss happen! It feels like they're using it as a joke. And that's just incredibly insulting. I can't speak for anyone else, and I would never try to, but the journey I've been on my whole life, and especially for the past 7 years when it comes to discovering, embracing and exploring my sexuality and attraction to men as a bi male is NOT something that others should be allowed to use for click-bait and attention. Especially with a song as lyrically heterosexual as this is. And the fact that it came from Ari, someone who has been extremely vocal in her support of the LGBTQ+ community, is extremely disappointing. And the fact that this could be considered "queer representation" when it really isn't annoys me too. It's like She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named calling Dumbledore gay after all the books were released, then not showing it in the movie. It just doesn't count as queer representation. And don't get me wrong, I understand the desire for it. Like our amazing and wonderful host, I understand the desire to cling to any slightest bit of possibly gay content, just for the sake of seeing it somewhere. But at some point you realize that it's actually really problematic, and you can honestly find better queer representation in more ambiguous books, characters, and song lyrics, even if it isn't explicitly stated or shown.
    I wanna thank @DJHazey for his post on the previous page. It was just very heartwarming to read. I hope you know that anytime I "drag" you (or anyone else) for your taste, I truly respect you and your right to enjoy whatever you like and interpret music however you want. I would also never try to force my opinion and feelings about any song on to someone else, especially people who have very different experiences then me - and I just want to reiterate that this is how I feel about the song.

Whew, that was a lot. I've been saving all that up since this opened, so it felt good to get it off my chest. I'm tired now so I'll comment on the rest of the songs tomorrow.

Crisp X, Ugly Beauty, RUNAWAY and 6 others like this.
  17. Love this song, and love the single artwork for it too. It really is a great addition to her discography, and shame you can only really obviously listen tot it for about 6 weeks of the year too.

18. This is tea but Santa Tell Me is up there with Underneath the Tree in god tier 21st Century Christmas bops.

19. First of all.

[​IMG]
    Also, we got the last two Christmas songs correct and they can go on to the Top 40 if they want to. I prefer December myself, but I'm sure Santa Tell Me has got this.

20. Santa Tell Me, is too much of a classic to be going anywhere anytime soon!

savilizabeths and Ashling92 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.