☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 78 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. Justice for You Don't Know Me! Only 1's exit was a bit overdue teebs.

savilizabeths and Milotic like this.
  2. Hi. Long time, no update.

Things have taken a turn for the worse this week. I got news that my father and my stepmother are splitting up which has hit me really hard. Her and her children are my family and it feels like my family is breaking apart for the third time in my life. I’m battling a lot of feelings about it.

On top of that a close friend of mine attempted suicide this week and I’m not close enough to help her or hug her. I’m so worried about her and I have another friend who is in a similarly dark place who is far away as well.

All of this has taken a huge toll on my mental health. I’m overwhelmed with anxiety and emotions that I don’t know how to process. I hate that this rate has been so riddled with delays as this year of my life has been so up and down and messy. I’m so determined to get back to it. Hopefully today or tomorrow. I’m just so sorry for the delays. I love doing this with all of my heart and I’m sorry I’ve been so unreliable.

Thank you for understanding.
    xoxo

3. You never need to feel bad or apologise to anyone here @savilizabeths.

It’s important you take time for yourself and your loved ones - we’ll all be here ready to pick up again, whenever you are!

I hope everything is okay and gets better for you all!

4. There’s no need to apologise and please don’t think you’re unreliable because you’ve been doing a fantastic job of hosting this rate. Your mental health takes more precedence so please do what is necessary and I’d be more than happy to help in terms of the rate if you need any.

@savilizabeths Take care and be kind to yourself x

5. Thank you for the support, as well as anybody else who posts kind words in this thread. I greatly appreciate them. It's been really rough and I'm definitely struggling with it. I love you all for your patience and kindness through this mess of a rate process. I promise any future rates I host won't be anything like this chaos. Expect in terms of rambling. There will always be rambling.

For now I think I shall simply sit in my feelings and listen to 'folklore' on repeat while drinking Starbucks (and finishing my Dreamcatcher commentary).

6. I've missed you around the forum & am sad for your rough time. Sending you positive vibes @savilizabeths.

7. My thoughts are with you and your family, @savilizabeths. We'll be here whenever you feel like it's right for you, and until then, take care xx

8. I would like to thank you all for your patience. I appreciate you allowing me this time to mentally heal. I have distanced myself from other areas of the forum during this time as well. I'm still working on my mental health with everything going on. It's been such a tough time so I'm trying not to feel guilty for putting this rate on hiatus for a couple of weeks. Having this. tieme has been completely necessary for my own sanity. Trying to immerse myself in my offline life and look to those around my for support has been instrumental in healing. Things have both gotten better and worse. You don't need the details but it's definitely been hard. I love you all for your kindness, thank you.

I promise I will return next week at the latest and then we will barrel on forward. I'm very excited to come back to you all and celebrate my favourite artist.

9. I don’t care if it’s gonna be 2021 and we’re still doing reveals, as long as our host is mentally well and takes it one step at a time because this is a rate for an artist she truly cares about.

No pressure, take the time you need to recover @savilizabeths xxx

10. My thoughts too x

11. Well......hellooooooooo! Your girl is back. She had a truly wild (a friend of mine would describe it as spicy) weekend and I'm refreshed and ready to tackle this bitch head on. I miss talking about Ari's music in my ridiculous ramblings, so expect the first elimination post-hiatus soon!!

Be patient with me though, it might take me a little to get into the swing of things. I'm excited though. We're cutting some sexy Ari today.

12. Jumping back into this song after listening to almost nothing but folklore since it came out is really jarring...

[​IMG]
    ☁️ HANDS ON ME ☁️
    (FT. A$AP FERG)

Average: 7.222

Skirt off, keep the high heels on
    It might be a little thing, but I like that long, yeah
    Don’t let these eyes fool you
    I can take it, hold nothing back, give it to me

High: 10x5 (@dylanaber @Dijah. @Sanctuary @Laurence @superultra) 9.5x2 (@Crisp X @Hurricane Drunk) 9x5 (@soratami @GimmeWork @DJHazey @BreatheBox @Music Is Life) 8.5x5 (@Petty Mayonnaise @slaybellz @RUNAWAY @aaronhansome @junkos) 8x11 (@savilizabeths @WhatKindOfKylie? @RMK @boombazookajoe @Vitamin @Espeon @Ugly Beauty @TwistedInnocence @SophiaSophia @138Prince @Vixen)
    Low: 2x1 (@Cutlery) 2.5x1 (@ysev) 3.75x1 (@AllGagaLike) 4.5x1 (@Blond) 5x4 (@chrismoyer @myblood @Butterfly @SlowGinFizzzz) 5.5x3 (@andrewdarwitan @Endothelium @citoig) 5.75x1 (@Mirwais Ahmadzaï)
    Total Points: 527.25
    My Score: 8/10

It's been awhile, hasn't it? And after the weekend I've had, it's only appropriate that we're eliminating this sexy little moment. The My Everything era saw Ariana getting a little more sexually explicit before she jumped in headfirst on the following Dangerous Woman. Songs like 'Hands On Me' and 'Love Me Harder' (which I promise we won't be seeing for a long while) play with teasing the listener with coy sultry lyrics. This song features A$AP Ferg, a rapper I known nothing about. Apparently he also recorded a verse for 'Break Your Heart Right Back' but was cut in favour of Childish Gambino.

DAMN! THIS SONG! It's a track I've always adored while not really having any idea why. 'Hands On Me' is 'Love Me Harder's' sluttier, more wild and chaotic little sister. It's less soft sultry coo-ing and more off the walls. This song feels like teasing, fliracious winks and accidental skin showing. It is so sexually charged and playful, something I'm really feeling right now honestly. These lyrics are dirty! That second verse?!? I live for that verse! Look, my weekend involved.a threesome and my first experience with...'that long', as Ariana so elequently puts it. So I'm definitely into this song and these lyrics today. Heh, stream 'overshare' by Kelsea Ballerini...

For some reason when I'm not listening to this song I remember the production being less than stellar quality but upon relistening this morning, I don't know what my brain is on about? I love how bass heavy and synthy it is. I can feel it in my chest through my headphones. It doesn't sound dated like my brain always imagines in. It actually goes really fucking hard and I'd love to hear this in a club setting. AND THE GODDAMN CHORUS! Now I KNOW that it's pretty much just one repeated phrase but it's the throbbing production backing the layers of harmony that sell the fuck out of it. It sounds lush and dance-y at the same time. The background vocals on this one are fantastic all around actually. The belting top harmony on the (iconic) second verse. Her scattered, airy adlibs. When most of the music cuts out towards the end of the guest verse and A$AP is supported by some angelic vocals which build into a wall of harmonic sound before bursting back into the bass-y chorus. What the fuck? Such beautiful moments that really elevate this from good to pretty damn great.

It's not perfect though. We'll start with a minor gripe...the term 'making love' doesn't seem to fit here. I always find that phrase sounds super strange outside of anything romantic. And this song doesn't sound romantic, it sounds like a hookup. Like I said though, minor gripe. My main issue is...the collaboration. I don't hate it. In fact, I kinda enjoy how goofy he feels. I don't feel like he's taking himself too seriously and I can have a lot of fun with the main guest verse. I'm not a big fan of his main hook though. It just grates on me sometimes. It can be cute, but it can also be a little annoying. Overall, he's not bad but he is definitely the weakest collaborater on My Everything as a whole. Yeah, those are all of my issues. So maybe this song deserved a 9 instead of an 8. We live and learn as usual.

I'm thrilled to hear from you commenters again! @daninternational (7) isn't into it: "Such a different vibe to most of the album, and suffers for it." I mean, the album is so all over the place that it feels like more of a mixtape to me anyway so. @RUNAWAY (8.5) only uses this on certain days: "I really hate the intro, but on the days I can get past it, I love the song. That chorus is really something." Okay, yeah. The intro is far from the best part of the song. Can't argue with that. @TwistedInnocence (8) was convinced on tour: "The Honeymoon Tour brought me around on this one. I always liked it but the live performance really brings it to life." I'll bet it does! I don't know why but @BreatheBox (9) made me laugh with this comment: "Still love the tracklisting." Cool. And @Holly Something (6.5) is whelmed: "Pretty generic." Is it though?

The lovely @chrismoyer (5) desperately wanted to up his score so pretend he gave it an 8: "A fun bop that is another Ari classic. While I feel my score doesn’t do it full justice, I think it was because of the 2004 like production on it and how it sounded kind of dated, but I feel this song is quite underrated and y’all sleep on it! It’s just a lot of fun and a jam." It does get slept on, doesn't it? @Milotic (7.5) is here for the feature: "This is a guilty pleasure of mine, but mostly due to A$AP." Interesting... @pop3blow2 (7.75) is tired: "Meh. This is fine. I’ve always thought this albums suffered from ‘feature fatigue’. There’s just a couple too many on here for my taste. This song is kinda throwaway." Though I love this song, you're 100% right about the feature fatigue thing. My Everything is a LOT. @Crisp X (9) hears a single in this: "Should have been a single with those "Toto" by Africa feels and that Middle Eastern-y melody." I would have been into this being a single, especially so I could dance to it in clubs.

We'll get a couple of drags out of the way before we hear from the stans. @Butterfly (5) admits: "Yeah, I never used this." You're missing out! And our lowest scorer, @Cutlery (2) really slices into this one: "One of the worst things she's released. The production was DOA, her nauseating delivery in the intro, the terrible feature, the way it sounds like a 2003 demo that didn't make it past Darkchild's cutting room for Pussycat Doll's album... Like, the main reason I hate this a lot is probably how much this is NOT what I seek or need from Ariana. But more on that when the Pharrell tracks come around." OOF, that's some major dislike. We'll agree to disagree then.

And now some lovers. @Laurence (10) keeps it simple: "Boppity bop." That it is. The adorable @Music Is Life (9) makes me giggle: "This is such a fucking banger, huh? So damn catchy. Funny random fact: In chorus, whenever my professor says “Eyes on me” this song pops into and gets stuck in my head, only with eyes on me as the lyrics instead, which would actually still kinda work with the song haha." That's going to happen to me now, just you wait! @DJHazey (9) is living for a trashy bop: "Such a sultry little bop tucked away near the album. Slinky Arabic-inspired production, A$AP Ferg coming in with "it's your birthday", Ariana wanting hands all up on her body, it's the trashy bop I needed." TASTE! WE LOVE TASTE! @superultra (10) is screaming: "WHEW, THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST MOMENTS OF THE WHOLE ALBUM. I LOVE THE PRODUCTION, THE VOCALS, THE MELODY, FERG’S VERSE. WHEW!!!! I LOVE.A GOOD MOMENT OF THOTTERY. BOP BOP BOP BOP BOP BOP BOP—" Can we form a thot club with our next commenter? @Dijah. (10) is a mood: "This song turned me into the thot I am today, and for that I am grateful." Who wants to join the club with us then?

Well, that's it. Goodbye to 'Hands On Me', I'm really going to miss you. Almost as much as I missed you guys while I was away. I'm going to try and zoom through things a little faster for awhile. Some posts might be a little shorter to ease myself back in, but we'll see. Short to me is very different to other people. Check back soon for another slutty bop's downfall. Until then stay safe and I love you all!

13. The way I needn't have said this as there's barely just Get Well Soon hanging on.

Happy to hear you're getting back on track!

14. My friends, it's a slutty day.

[​IMG]

☁️ GET ON YOUR KNEES ☁️
    (W/ NICKI MINAJ)

Average: 7.284

Cause we are just animals (Animals)
    Baby it's primal (It's primal)
    I want you on all fours (All fours)
    (And before I let you walk, you gotta show me how you crawl)

High: 10x5 (@Butterfly @Wired Life @elektroxx @savilizabeths @soratami) 9.5x3 (@dylanaber @chrismoyer @boombazookajoe) 9x9 (@Music Is Life @Cutlery @Serg. @ufint @Holly Something @BreatheBox @fatyoshi @Dangerous Maknae @AllGagaLike) 8.75x1 (@junkos) 8.5x3 (@myblood @RUNAWAY @OspreyQueen)
    Low: 3x1 (@Endothelium) 4x4 (@sapnu puas @SlowGinFizzzz @SophiaSophia @lemonsqueezyy) 4.5x1 (@slaybellz) 5x2 (@Laurence @TwistedInnocence) 5.5x4 (@Blond @Vixen @Ana Raquel @Sprockrooster)
    Total Points: 531.75
    My Score: 10/10

WHO THE HELL TOLD THE ELIMINATIONS ABOUT MY WEEKEND???? Anyway, it's time to say goodbye to Ariana's collobration with Nicki Minaj for the rappers album The Pinkprint, 'Get On Your Knees'. You have to admit, the partnership between Nicki and Ariana works. They've worked together so many times and I've loved almost everything they've come up with. There are also quite a few tracks from The Pinkprint that I enjoy ('All Things Go' is especially good). This is a female sexual empowerment jam. It's great to hear two strong women sing about taking control in the bedroom. Apparently Ariana recorded the vocals two weeks before release. Queen of last minute participation!

Look, I'm a kinky bitch. I love this! I think this song made me even more of a bottom than I already was before I heard it. What can I say? I'm a sucker for feminine top energy. Or anyone who radiates top energy...Honestly though, the girls just sell it. It's not gross in it's depiction of sexual domination (see: any male rapper ever). The girls sound self assured, confident and powerful. I adore how evenly split the song is. Ariana is there to deliver more than just a chorus. She's an integral part of the track. I know a lot of people (mostly men) didn't think she pulled this off at the time but those were the same men who said she couldn't sing about sex because she looks young, despite being of age. I think she sounds gorgeous here. So sultry. She doesn't sound out of her depth at all, and I would definitely say that she kills it.

The production sounds incredibly slick, dark and moody with a touch of glamour in Ariana's choruses. I love the contrasting nature of it. It matches with the way their power styles seem to contrast. Nicki being more aggressive and physical in hers and Ariana feeling more distant and icy, like she's sitting on a throne with the men she's singing about kneeling before her or something. The girls sound gorgeous together. I love the way Nicki sings the 'get on your knees' section. Something about her delivery works so well. Nicki has some pretty great verses here and the bridge is actually so gorgeous! Some of my other favourite parts include the stacking of harmonies in the 'beg-beg-beg for it' bit, the harmonised belt at the end of the bridge before launching into a gorgeous, slightly altered final chorus and the whispered 'it's primal' part, also in the bridge.

This is tied with 'Side to Side' for my favourite collaboration they've ever done, and I think Ariana really does bring the best out of Nicki so I'm sure I will continue to enjoy whatever they put out.

Passing the mic to you guys, starting with @daninternational (8) who made a discovery: "She pumps out so much content I've missed a lot. This is a good find." Honestly, even I've missed stuff from her. I forgot to mention that Katy Perry had a hand in writing this, so I'll let @138Prince (6) do it for me: "I wish we had the Katy Perry demo ngl." Hm, nothing against Katy but I don't. At least she got a lyrical shoutout! @DJHazey (7) is complimentary despite not loving this: "This showed what the two could do together and then Side to Side came along and set a new standard. I was never too fussed about this though." I mean, fair. @Milotic (6) shrugs: "It's okay." I can see why some people don't love it like I do, and that's fine. As usual, @Crisp X (7) is referencing music and making me do some Googling: "It's fine. Just makes me want to listen to Tommy Genesis instead." Wait, I think I just made a discovery! I'm into this!

This time @Cutlery (9) is in my corner: "Their best collab don't @ me." Well, I had to @ you but damn, taste! @pop3blow2 (8) compliments the pairing: "I mean, Nicki is a gawd damn mess, but her and Ariana generally work really well together on record." Okay, yeah. Can't argue with that. She has some real gems though. @RUNAWAY (8.5) references...Iggy? Chris Brown? I mean, problematic either way: "This song always makes me think it’s gonna go into Beg For It’s chorus...kind of iconic? Nicki and Ari really killed it here." Is there another song called 'Beg For It'? I have no idea. @chrismoyer (9.5) likes this too: "This is pretty underrated! Nicki’s verse is fire, and Ariana sounds like an angel. This is their best collab, by far. A hidden gem so to say." Yes to all of this! And finally, @Butterfly (10) wanted a single release: "Massive bop, and given their combined pop star-power at the time it’s a real shame this wasn’t released as a single." That would have been iconic actually.

If this post is ramble-y...I've had coffee and little sleep. Farewell to another Nicki collaboration, only 'Side to Side' remains. How far will it go? I'll be back tomorrow to eliminate another collaboration. I love you all. Thank you and goodbye. Stay safe!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  15. Ahh the way I missed your write-ups... Welcome back @savilizabeths!

16. Love a slutty day and a educational write-up!

17. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Delete that C**** B**** video now! Obviously meant Iggy.....

Also, welcome back @savilizabeths!! We missed you, and I hope you're doing better!

Music Is Death and savilizabeths like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.