☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 79 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. When I received a notification that I'd be mentioned, I was worried that I'd lost my 11. I am a little shocked at how few 10s "Get On Your Knees" got. It's a bop and I agree with all of the commentary that calls it Ari and Nicki's best collab.

2. While I do like the two songs, I’n not too fussed about them leaving...

Oh also welcome back @savilizabeths <3

3. Good to have you back @savilizabeths
    Hands On Me on repeat for today!

4. Welcome back @savilizabeths, and glad to have made you discover Tommy Genesis! Less glad about Hands On Me's elimination but hey, the lord giveth and the lord taketh away or something.

5. Hands On Me is such a trashy bop, I'm surprised it lasted this long.

savilizabeths likes this.
  6. Oh, I didn't even see the "Hands On Me" elimination. I'm glad that it's gone, tbh.

Also, welcome back, @savilizabeths!

ysev likes this.
  7. Not super pressed about either of those elims, but loved the write-ups @savilizabeths ... and like all of the above, so glad you're back.

Music Is Death and savilizabeths like this.
  8. We could argue that's why it lasted so long, no? Ddd.

9. I didn't expect either of those going to be honest! Obviously I'm more upset by Hands on Me. I would've taken "Be My Baby" to go next from the album. The "It's your birthday!" part is a killer.

I do miss these writeups and finding out just how much of a kinky girl @savilizabeths is, hehe. Thanks for sharing!

This is a mood teebs. Because this 'simp' trend is running rampant online/xbox live etc. and I'm always thinking I'm going to be considered one because of me being described in the line above (I instantly feel that way when songs sound this way) and people trying to say that's part of a what 'simp' is. It's kind of annoying ddd.

Music Is Death and savilizabeths like this.
  10. Postponing eliminations to have a... wild weekend... Perhaps @savilizabeths and I are more alike than I thought.

11. I REALLY love hands on me

12. This is my favourite thread response.

Apologies for no elimination today. I've been exhausted. I'll do my best tomorrow before we start cleaning up for our property inspection the next day.

13. Hands on Me and Get on Your Knees leaving back to back is a bit of a kii. They're both perfectly fine songs, but it's about right they're leaving now. And I'll hear nothing other than the correct opinion that Bed is better than Get on Your Knees, but I already know I can't trust y'all to have the same taste level as me, seaux...

@savilizabeths, honey, enjoy your weekend.

14. So, stuff got a bit out of hand. My city is now on lockdown again and I had the cramps from hell so things have been a bit messy. My goal is to get on with things tomorrow. I definitely have plenty of time now.

15. COVID is back in NZ and I'm back in lockdown, so here we are.

[​IMG]

☁️ BEST MISTAKE
    ☁️
    (FT. BIG SEAN)

Average: 7.325

Break up, makeup, total waste of time
    Can we please make up our minds
    And stop acting like we’re blind?
    Cause if the water dries up and the moon stops shining
    Stars fall, and the world goes blind
    Boy, you know I'll be savin' my love for you, for you

High: 10x3 (@Ugly Beauty @Crisp X @superultra) 9.5x2 (@Vitamin @savilizabeths) 9x12 (@soratami @DJHazey @andrewdarwitan @Holly Something @CorgiCorgiCorgi @maikos87 @TwistedInnocence @Petty Mayonnaise @Remorque @ysev @Butterfly @Sail On) 8.75x1 (@Mirwais Ahmadzaï) 8.5x6 (@Serg. @daninternational @Mushroom @myblood @boombazookajoe @Aester)
    Low: 3x1 (@lemonsqueezyy) 4x4 (@Sprockrooster @fatyoshi @aux @Hurricane Drunk) 4.5x1 (@Laura Vanderbooben) 5x5 (@happiestgirl @Robsolete @SlowGinFizzzz @reputation. @blaze_dave)
    Total Points: 534.75
    My Score: 9.5/10

Ariana loves collaborating, especially with her musically inclined boyfriends. Today we hear from Ari and ex Big Sean as we eliminate 'Best Mistake', a piano driven moment from My Everything. It's an odd little song, and honestly one of the standouts of the album for me. It definitely falls on the underrated side. Ariana herself as also cited this as a My Everything favourite for her. Can I also point out how many damn songs on this album start with the letter B? Has anyone else noticed this? Just a random observation from a tired Sav.

Anyhow, let's talk. This is sort of an odd moment, very different to most of the rap features on My Everything. It's more intimate, more connected. The fact that the rap verse is placed in the middle of the song instead of the traditional 'guest verse before the final choruses' thing makes it feel more like a conversation between the two. It feels integral to the song, like it wouldn't be the same without it. I just really love when collabs feel like the artists are talking to each other and creating a story instead of just throwing on a fun guest verse that doesn't really have much to do with anything, and this song is a perfect example of that. There's such a sweetness here despite the subject matter feeling more bittersweet. Ariana sings of a relationship of uncertainty and complication. It's an imperfect relationship but they hang on to each other anyway because, although they seem to know it's ultimately doomed, they love one another. The lyrics are acutally quite gorgeous. "If the water dries up and the moon stops shining, stars fall and the world goes blind. Boy, you know I'll be saving my love for you," is a beautiful moment especially, which Ariana has said is her favourite line in the song. I just think the lyrics paint a really strong picture of the relationship between the couple. They're sad yet optimistic at the same time.

And the music? There's a moody darkness to it that I really like. The tempo feels quite ballad-y but I don't think I would class this as a ballad in the same vein as 'Just a Little Bit of Your Heart' or 'My Everything' from the same album. The pianos are echo-y, dark and almost hurried? Then the low R&B beats kick in to ground everything and you can hear tiny stacato string moments as well as some stuttered higher drum beats. The production is really nice. I absolutely love when the chorus starts and the main piano line and beats drop out completely, leaving everything feeling really empty in a really beautiful way. The vocals are also just absolutely stunning. My absolute favourite part being that damn pre-chorus. Instead of feeling like a harmony, both vocal lines feel like melodies. Equally important in a way that I can never decide which part to sing when I'm singing along. I don't know if any of that makes sense but hey, I'm exhausted and rambling as usual.

I specifically want to jump back to the lyrics so I can talk about the feature. I like Big Sean. I don't know how popular that opinion is. Do I listen to his music? No, not really. He has a couple of songs I enjoy but I'm mostly familiar with his features, especially with Ariana. I love the verses he does for her. They feel honest and seem to reflect how he felt about her at the time. He always sounds so in awe of her and it's really sweet. They're never overtly sexual bar one or two lines but they don't sound like they're trying way too hard to be PG either. They just feel real and always make me smile. My favourite lyric of his here is the one about her mother. It's just such a wholesome moment and, if you know anything about Ariana's mother, definitely rings true. Shoutout to Joan Grande, who was incredibly sweet when I met her at Ariana's Auckland concert in 2017.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure why I docked half a point. I guess I just felt like something was missing. It's not even that it's too long, which seems to be a common complaint. It doesn't really feel long for me. There's just something keeping me from giving it full points despite loving it a lot. It's just not top tier for me, and that's okay. I really don't have any major complaints though so we're going to move on to our commentary panel.

We'll begin with the lovely @chrismoyer (8) who is regretting his score once again: "I feel I didn't score this high enough! This track is so pretty and so underrated fr! The piano melody mixed with the R&B bass, and Big Sean's excellent rap with Ari's soft vocals make this song so brilliant, and I love the laid back chill vibes in this track." Your commentary sums it up so well. I love you! @Dijah. (8) enjoys this but not quite enough: "I love a moody R&B jam even if this goes on for a little too long." I only just looked at how long this is today. How did I never notice it was close to 4 minutes? It doens't feel that long for me. @Cutlery (7) has a highlight: "I like a quieter moment but this just falls a little off the mark, with the plucky strings being the highlight." I can't argue with your choice of highlight because that production element really does stand out. @Milotic (6) is a Big Sean anti: "Honestly, Big Sean kind of brings this right to a halt for me. The rest of the song isn't bad, but it doesn't invoke any genuine feeling from me either." I can completely understand that. It's a long rap verse. @pop3blow2 (7.5) doesn't get it: "Sort of an ok song, but the rap feature feels odd in this one." I stan the rap feature, what can I say? Seems like @BreatheBox (7) is stanning my favourite lyric: "Ask me why I love your ma so much coz she’s an older you…." A moment!

@daninternational's (8.5) My Everything stannage is not relatable for me: "It's really beautiful but a bit too background music in a stellar album." It's a standout on a messy, average album for me. @reputation. (5) is bored: "A snoozefest." Ouch. I kinda live whenever @Music Is Life (6) gives anything a score below 7: "Love the piano that opens this. Otherwise, I always felt like this dragged a bit and wasn’t anything special on this album. It’s cute but not something I ever look for and desire to listen to. And I can’t stand Big Sean’s voice one bit. Seriously, he just make the song drag even more." I don't agree with you AT ALL but I adore when you don't like stuff, it's iconic. @RUNAWAY (7.5) shrugs it off: "This song was a cute promo single, but on the album it's kind of out of place. Sean's rap is good as well, but idk I just don't really return to this song at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" I forgot it was a promo single!

At last, we'll hear from some stans! @TwistedInnocence (9) has taste: "A lovely song. Love the vocals meshing together and the lyrics are great." I love you for appreciating the lyrics! @Butterfly (9) makes a point: "Absolutely gorgeous, my only qualm is that Big Sean’s part is a bit lengthy and takes away from what could be another gorgeous Ariana verse." While I love his verse, I definitely could have done with another Ariana one! @DJHazey (9) is on my side today: "Ariana sounds playful and seductive throughout over a chilled atmosphere, making it such a wonderful mood piece." I don't know why I like the term 'mood piece' so much but I do. @superultra (10) has correct favourites: "This remains one of my favorites from this album. The song remains haunting and bittersweet." Great descriptive words! And, lastly, @Crisp X (10), who will always be better at music than me: "That piano and the glockenspiel sound so sad and even bittersweet. This was an instant standout at the time, and remains one of my favorite songs since." Teach me how to identify instruments in music!

There we go! 'Best Mistake' is gone but not forgotten. In the next elimination ten of us will lose a 10. We are also getting incredibly close to our second 11 loss, so stay tuned! I love you all. Stay safe! I will be here, back in lockdown and doing too much online shopping.

16. ☁️ MEET YOUR TOP 50! ☁️

YOURS TRULY (7/12)

Honeymoon Avenue
    Baby I
    Right There (ft. Big Sean)
    Tattooed Heart
    Piano
    The Way (ft. Mac Miller)
    You'll Never Know

CHRISTMAS KISSES (1/5)

Santa Tell Me

MY EVERYTHING (7/17)

Problem (ft. Iggy Azalea)
    One Last Time
    Why Try
    Break Free (ft. Zedd)
    Be My Baby (ft. Cashmere Cat)
    Break Your Heart Right Back (ft. Childish Gambino)
    Love Me Harder (ft. The Weeknd)

CHRISTMAS & CHILL (1/6)

December

DANGEROUS WOMAN (13/18)

Moonlight
    Dangerous Woman
    Be Alright
    Into You
    Side to Side (featuring Nicki Minaj)
    Let Me Love You (featuring Lil Wayne)
    Greedy
    Everyday (featuring Future)
    Sometimes
    Bad Decisions
    Touch It
    Knew Better / Forever Boy
    Thinking Bout You

SWEETNER (7/15)

God is a Woman
    Everytime
    Breathin’
    No Tears Left to Cry
    Better Off
    Goodnight n Go
    Get Well Soon

THANK U, NEXT (9/13)

Imagine
    Needy
    NASA
    Bloodline
    Fake Smile
    Bad Idea
    Ghostin’
    In My Head
    Thank U, Next

EXTRAS (5/16)

Adore (with Cashmere Cat)
    All My Love
    Dance to This (with Troye Sivan)
    Knew Better (Part Two)
    Quit (with Cashmere Cat)

Let me know which 10 you'd like to leave next. We're halfway through guys! Do you think the My Everything cull will continue? Are you pleased with the Dangerous Woman's dominance like I am? Are you surprised by anything?

17. I know that this might be controversial, but I need a Yours Truly cull to happen.

18. Honestly it's a great Top 50. I agree that the debut should be culled next, though. Maybe not fully, but about half of those songs shouldn't be here.

19. Only one Christmas and Chill track making the top 50 is a choice.

slaybellz and savilizabeths like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.