☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 86 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. Me? I do already stan Mariah! Second only to Kylie in my eyes.

2. No @savilizabeths, I noticed she said in her writeup that she doesn't know Mariah's discography much. Surprising since Yours Truly sounds like early Mariah in some ways. It's definitely why I don't have time for the album at all.

3. Ah! I see!

4. Honestly, I'm surprised too. I just haven't dived into her discography yet, which I am aware that I really should. So perhaps...soon...

ALSO elimination in the next hour if I don't ramble for too long or get distracted by anything. Which My Everything track will fall?

DJHazey likes this.
  5. Be My Baby I hope.

savilizabeths likes this.
  6. "Break Free," please and thank you. Aside from that, the remaining My Everything tracks deserve Top 30.

7. Break Your Heart Right Back, time's up for you!

8. I'm sorry Cashmere Cat fans...

[​IMG]

☁️ BE MY BABY ☁️
    (FT. CASHMERE CAT)

Average: 7.811

I’ll give you all of my trust if you don’t mess this up
    You ain't tryna get no other girls when you in the club
    All you got his eyes for me
    I'm the only girl you see

High: 10x11 (@dylanaber @chrismoyer @Dijah. @lemonsqueezyy @Vitamin @aaronhansome @elektroxx @RUNAWAY @Petty Mayonnaise @superultra @japanbonustrack) 9.5x4 (@Music Is Life @Serg. @daninternational @junkos) 9x4 (@TwistedInnocence @138Prince @Remorque @Sail On)
    Low: 3x1 (@Hurricane Drunk) 4x1 (@Sprockrooster) 5x2 (@VitaminBee @Milotic) 5.5x1 (@Robsolete) 6x5 (@maikos87 @ufint @Ana Raquel @sapnu puas @citoig)
    Total Points: 570.25
    My Score: 8.5/10

With this elimination, Cashmere Cat only has one track left in the game. Today we say goodbye to his My Everything contribution, 'Be My Baby'. An exceptionally produced, electronic tinged R&B track in which Ariana sings about giving a boy a chance to prove himself before she commits to him. It was one of the albums early release tracks and Ariana has cited it as one of her favourites on the album. Top five even, which is a high ranking for an album this overstuffed. While it's not in my top tier, I do appreciate it's quality. So let's talk about it!

It took a lot time for this song to find it's place in my heart. It's not bad, not by a long shot. It just felt as if it was missing something for me. Something didn't connect. Eventually it grew on me, but never enough to become one of the standout tracks from the My Everything. Honestly, I'm not sure why. It is a pretty fantastic little bop. The production is on point, it (like our last cut, 'You'll Never Know') gets stuck in my head for days on end, Ariana sounds fantastic. Listening to it today, I think I might have put my finger on it. My problem is the chorus. The verses are absolutely flawless to me, but the chorus doesn't work. It sort of plods along in comparison to the gorgeous verse melodies. Something about it is just...boring to me. The melody feels basic, meandering and repetitive. I like the production underneath, it's literally just that melody I think. If we changed the chorus up, this might be one of my favourites but this is what we get, so I'm just not here for it.

I suppose we'll talk about the lyrics before we get into the production. They're really nice! I love the message behind them. There's something very empowering about Ariana taking her time before jumping into something and putting this boy to the test to see if he's worth her time. She's taking it slow, seeing if she can trust him with her heart before she trusts him with her body. It's something we all probably need to remember sometimes. To take our time before letting ourselves fall into a relationship with someone. It isn't a foolproof way not to get your heart broken, but it's a good message to all of us. We love a confident, empowering queen! I'll also use this paragraph to touch on the melody a little more. I love the quicker pace of the verses. They're kind of addicting to me. They get stuck in my head all the time and they're really fun to sing. I'm a huge fan!

Okay, obviously the production is the star of the show here. It is a producer collab after all. The song immediately grabs your attention with those opening notes and Ariana's delicate runs. The part I actually like about the chorus is the production. It's got so much impact and drama to it. It's big and slightly epic sounding. The high pitched noise throughout sounds so spacey and odd in a really fun way. In fact, there is definitely a intergalatic vibe here in certain production elements. It's really interesting to listen and hone in on. The high noise I mentioned sounds like a weird, warped siren and other sounds like that come in and out thorugh the song, including a part that mimics the productions main melody. It's all really cool! I adore the more muted quality of the verses with the focus mostly on Ariana, the beats and the main chords. It sounds really clean and nice. Ariana's high harmonies on the second verse are lovely as well. My favourite of her high harmonies are when she lets a lot of air into them. It sounds really soft and pretty. The stuttered, manipulated part at the end of the second verse sounds awesome too! After the second chorus, when everything falls into a slightly more echo-y sound! God, it's so gorgeous! It sounds like the galaxy! And the way everything builds back up to the chorus! Stunning! The final chorus is elevated by Ariana's belting adlibs. Her vocals on this song really are incredible, which I know I say every time! She just has a really strong command of this song. I'm impressed.

Of course, I have to mention Cashmere Cat's alternate version. Essentially it's slightly more off kilter and less cleaned up. I almost love it more! It's so strange in the absolute best way. It really hones in on the more unique, interesting production elements and brings them to the forefront. It is almost more simple and less fleshed out but the oddities of it are what draw me to it more over the original. We also get to hear more adlibs from Ariana throughout, which are absolutely gorgeous. I think my only complaint is the little 'whoops' throughout the verses really throw me off and I wish I could edit them out. They just don't flow as well as everything else here. If you've never listened to this version, it'll be linked at the bottom of the post. Listen to it!

Let's hear from you guys! @Crisp X (7.5) references Mariah: "The Emancipation Of Ari vibes, a bit repetitive though." Despite admitting my lack of Mariah knowledge last time, I didn't even have to look that up! Yay me! @Milotic (5) simples shares an unimpressed: "Meh." Yeah, I can see why someone wouldn't absolutely love this. Our local My Everything stan @DJHazey (8) isn't exactly in love with this: "Probably the one song I was most worried about ever loving when I first heard this album, but surprisingly I took to it rather quickly. Classic R&B jams have never been my thing, especially when the melodies are close to being 'too classic' but Ariana just sounds to special here to ignore, as usual." She really does sound speical here, you're right. @daninternational (9.5) takes a playful dig at Ari's enunciation: "Be my, be my, beamer. Flawless." Hah! I've never heard it like that before. Hopefully you didn't just ruin everything for me. A tour version won over @TwistedInnocence (9): "The live performance on The Honeymoon Tour sold this song for me. Love it!" I love that for you! @Music Is Life (9.5) also uses spacey to describe this: "I’ve always loved the production on this. Cashmere Cat is actually really underrated as a producer in my opinion. I’ve never not loved one of their productions. This is such a spacey bop that’s got me dancing." Well, I hope you're happy that all of the Cashmere Cat songs made it pretty far!

Everyone else who commented handed out 10s! Starting with @chrismoyer (10): "One of her best tracks to date! The song is addicting, and Cashmere Cat’s production is stellar and brilliant. Honestly probably the best song on the album (tied with LMH)." Damn! High praise! Also, a special side-note. I folllowed you on my new Twitter that I had to make because Twitter suspended my old one. It's @bagelbby. I've been trying to get in touch with you but you haven't responded so I hope you're okay!! ANYWAY!! @RUNAWAY (10) mentions the alternate version: "This song is everything. And that remix/original version that was released with Ari’s unedited vocal takes and adlibs is EVERYTHING. I feel like this song absolutely should have been a single. It would have been undeniably huge." I take it this song is your everything on My Everything. Wow, I'm not funny. And our final two comments are calling for more Cashmere/Ari yet again. @Dijah. (10) says: "A whole BAWP and an underrated gem. Ariana should do an entire project with Cashmere Cat." and @superultra (10) agrees, screaming: "EXCELLENCE. AR&BIANA EXCELLENCE. This song (and “Adore”) are the reasons why I need an Ariana/Cashmere Cat album in order to live." Perhaps we can all wish that into existence!

Yikes! That post was way longer than I anticipated. I didn't think I would have so much to write about 'Be My Baby' but I hope I gave it the tribute you all wanted. Thank you for reading if you did! Tomorrow we will say goodbye to another song starting with B...hm? Thoughts? For now I am sending you all a ton of love and safe wishes. I'm off to spend my birthday money now! Bye!

9. You hit it right on the head. Something about the chorus makes it ultimately boring. It isn't quite impactful enough and can't be masked by the high quality elements of the rest of the song.

10. A better Cashmere Cat offering this, still sounds good now.

12. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Piano is a banger and deserves top 30.

13. Absolutely. It's perfect pop.

Stopremix and savilizabeths like this.
  14. Wait Piano is still in? So many cute tracks had overstayed their welcome that I forgot about this one.

It can go with the rest of the debut before the top 30, except maybe Honeymoon Avenue.

15. No elimination today loves!! Taking a day to just spend with the girlfriend and day drink! I love you all and I’ll see you tomorrow!!

16. Hope you enjoy!

17. Huh... Quit is actually my least favorite of her three Cashmere Cat collabs?!

savilizabeths and Dijah. like this.
  18. I am so mentally exhausted today but here we go!

[​IMG]

☁️ BREAK YOUR HEART RIGHT BACK ☁️
    (FT. CHILDISH GAMBINO)

Average: 7.821

But baby, you were so good, so good
    You had me going blind
    You said he was your best friend
    I’m guessing I wasn't your type, hey

High: 10x13 (@WhatKindOfKylie? @Vitamin @Espeon @elektroxx @TwistedInnocence @Robsolete @RUNAWAY @Sanctuary @slaybellz @Wired Life @138Prince @Music Is Life @Blond) 9.5x3 (@Dijah. @chrismoyer @dylanaber) 9x9 (@Sprockrooster @DJHazey @Slice of Life @Vixen @Petty Mayonnaise @Remorque @Laurence @superultra @citoig)
    Low: 3x1 (@aux) 4x1 (@Hurricane Drunk) 4.5x1 (@Aester) 4.75x1 (@AllGagaLike) 5x3 (@OspreyQueen @blaze_dave @fatyoshi) 5.5x1 (@andrewdarwitan) 6x7 (@soratami @maikos87 @Serg. @VitaminBee @Ana Raquel @SlowGinFizzzz @Cutlery)
    Total Points: 571
    My Score: 8/10

Back to back My Everything eliminations both starting with the letter B. And they sit side by side on the album too?!?! LEGENDARY! Today we say goodbye to Ariana's collaboration with rapper Donald Glover, who formerly went by the name Childish Gambino, as seen on this track, 'Break Your Heart Right Back'. An iconic album track that samples Diana Ross' 'I'm Coming Out' and features Ariana singing about a boyfriend who cheated on her with another man. It's definitely a memorable one, so I'm sure many of you are upset that it falls today.

How do I feel about it falling? Mixed feelings, I suppose. 'Break Your Heart Right Back' is an undeinable bop for sure, but something about it just hasn't stuck with me in the long run. It's one of those songs that I'll enjoy if I'm ever in the mood to listen to My Everything (so, rarely) but not one I actively seek out. There are things I love about it, sure but overall I think I could have stood to give this a slightly lower score considering my somewhat neutral feelings on it. Relistening to it repeatedly really isn't helping bring any clarity to why I'm not head over heels for it. The production is solid, the lyrics and melodies are great, Ariana sounds lovely, I love the feature. I suppose it's just one of those opininos just based on unexplainable feelings. So, we'll put that aside and discuss the song as we usually do. Maybe by the end I'll come up with some sort of conclusion as to my feelings.

I am very into the production of this. Honestly, before this rate I often didn't sit down and really pay attention to the smaller details but I'm definitely appreciating the chance to explore them. There is such a smoothness to this production. It almost minimalistic, especially in the verses. I especially love that bouncing bass that really drives everything. Everything is just so low and grounded, which is a gorgeous contrast to Ariana's light, falsetto leaning vocals. It's really cool! I also love the finger snaps and the slightly weird electronic noises you can hear in the background of the verses if you listen closely. The beat gets quicker and thicker sounding as we move into the pre-chorus and in comes some....OCTAVE UNISON! I love this octave unision usage because Ariana's lower octave pairs really well with the way the instrumental sounds. It fleshes everything out and builds it up towards the chorus. Speaking of the chorus...the guitars are so cool! It's actually quite an unexpected twist considering how the instrumentation was shaping up until then. The beats and bass fall away and we're just left with vocals, the sample and some really fun, groovy guitars! It's fantastic. And everything comes together so nicely when the rest of the production joins in for the second half of the chorus. There is only one issue I have production wise. The post-chorus sounds a little messy to me. The mix of the instrumental sounding like it gets louder, to Ariana's belting, the sample, the production elements together and some quiet background vocals...it's just a lot compared to how good the rest of the song sounds. I alos kinda wish I could hear the background harmonies here clearer but they sound shoved towards the back of the mix. For some reason the final post-chorus sounds better to me though? I can't explain why.

These lyrics! This storyline! Iconic! It's a twist on the typical boy cheating on his girlfriend storyline and it's a lot of fun. It doesn't feel like it's using the gay aspect as a punchline or maliciously at all like I'm sure some artists could and would. Ariana isn't mad because he cheated with another guy, she's simply mad because he cheated and lied to her. I enjoy the details in the storytelling. Him saying the other guy was just his best friend and then once that guy is gone, he tries to get Ariana back. And I love that Donald Glover is sort of painted as the guy who tells Ariana about everything. He plays a part in the story instead of being a random guest feature, which is always fun! I think it's really interesting how he seems to be playing the "nice guy" who is telling her for "her own good" but also just wants to get with her. It's such a fun aspect to the storyline that this song presents. Plus, his verse is pretty great! That 'school lunch' line gets me every fucking time. Perhaps one of my favourtie features on My Everything! We also can't forget how genius this sample choice was! Seriously!

Wow, I feel like I just said a lot and also nothing at all. Let's hear from you guys instead! @Crisp X (7.5) wanted more: "Love that sample, but it could have been much more with Donald's presence." I think I agree with you actually. @Cutlery (6) is unimpressed: "I like this on paper, the minimal atmosphere and the two artists involved. But it really goes nowhere and sounds all the same too demoish, unfinished for me, from the mixing to the "emptiness" I get from it." Honestly, I get what you mean? There are aspects that sound a little unfinished, which is a shame because I should love this more than I do. @Milotic (6.5) demonstrates some taste: "I like the guitar in the chorus, and Childish is probably my favorite part of this song. Not racing back to play this again though." You pointed out two aspects of the song that I really like, so you win here. @daninternational (8) is complimentary: "Her early work has a lot of influences, samples etc but somehow it (almost) always pulls together." That's a pretty good point actually. I never thought about that before. I also agree with @pop3blow2 (8.25) who says: "This song has a good sound to it, though it does kind of run out of steam for me." Yes!

Keeping things simple, @Sprockrooster (9) says: "Great sample and feature." True! @Laurence (9) confuses the shit out of me by scoring it really highly but not giving it good commentary. I was so confused that I checked his scores in my DMs to make sure I didn't make a mistake: "The sample is good, but that's about it. Meh its just a this will do situation and being right before Love Me Harder doesn't do it any favours." I'm so lost! @DJHazey (9) does some promotion: "My love for most of the song is perhaps a bit low-key beyond the Diana Ross sample, but it's so catchy that I was always brought back by it. "I'm Coming Out" will be in the 80s rate by the way." How do you feel as the My Everything songs keep falling? @Dijah. (9.5) thinks this should be more popular: "An underrated jam." Well, I hope you think #38 is a good number for it to place at. And lastly before we hear from our full scorers, @chrismoyer (9.5) says: "Catchy as hell and the guitar is great! Very funky number, and Gambino’s verse is fire, this was great during the Sweetener Tour to see her play this again years later, it’s a fun song." The guitar really is awesome! It would have been a cool song to hear live!

Onto our full mark crew! @Music Is Life (10) wants a music video: "Queen of being pissed at the gays. I fucking love the guitar in the chorus. Don’s verse is iconic too. I’m still confused as to who he is exactly in this situation. And I will forever be presses this wasn’t released as a single with a gay as fuck music video." I hope my take on Donald's verse earlier in the post helps you figure out who he might be in this story? This song meant something special to @TwistedInnocence (10): "This song was the definition of "GAY RIGHTS" for me back in 2014. It gets a high score for making me feel seen, in the best way, back then!" Awww! I am so happy that this song was so important for you! @Blond (10) is living for the samples: "This song is perhaps problematic in its lyrical content by 2020 standards, but I’m Coming Out and Mo Money Mo Problems are two of my favourite songs ever so I have no choice but to stan." I suppose this could be considered problematic but no one seems to read it that way? Hm. @138Prince (10) has high praise: "Probably the album track I come back the most from My Everything." When 'Why Try' exists? And finally, @RUNAWAY (10) is stanning: "This song is STILL a moment. The flipping of the pronouns still kills me. SHE DID THAT. And I live for Miss Glover’s rap. It’s one of those rare times where I can’t imagine a version without it. It just fits so well, and completely ties up the song nicely. Also, Ari’s adlibs after the rap and at the end of the song are EVERYTHING." I always live your your enthusiasm oh my god!

So that's goodbye to yet another My Everything moment. It's our top rated album track as we are now left with 'One Last Time', 'Break Free' and 'Love Me Harder'. I will tell you that this album is safe for awhile now. Which song do you think will last the longest? Our elimination tomorrow is another album track from a different album. Definitely a song I'm surprised got this far. Any guesses? I love you all and stay safe! I apologise for my absence yesterday as well. Have a great day!!

19. You'll Never Know, Be My Baby AND Break Your Heart Right Back BACK TO BACK????
    WHAT DID I EVER DO TO Y'ALL?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.