☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick! | Page 91 | The Popjustice Forum

☁️Imagine A Rate Like That☁️ - The Ariana Grande Rate: a double winner makes it a hat-trick!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by savilizabeths, Jan 27, 2020.

?

What's your favourite Ariana Grande album?

1. Yours Truly

3.2%
  2. My Everything

5.2%
  3. Dangerous Woman

55.5%
  4. Sweetener

10.3%
  5. thank u, next

24.5%
  6. positions

1.3%
  1. I've just never really liked the chorus ddd.

savilizabeths likes this.
  2. fake smile out before we even reach the top 30???

Fuck.

3. I just lost my entire next elimination. I am so sorry guys!!! I just don't have the time or mental capacity to write it again so this post is going to be far more bare bones than usual. I am so frustrated but we're going to push through. I hope you understand.

4. I'm about to start losing a LOT of 10s.

[​IMG]

☁️ BAD DECISIONS ☁️

Average: 8.202

Don't you know I ain't fuckin' with them good boys?
    Know you love me like ain't nobody could, boy
    If you want it, boy, you've got it
    Ain't you ever seen a princess be a bad bitch?

High: 10x16 (@savilizabeths @GimmeWork @WhatKindOfKylie? @junkos @maikos87 @Serg. @aaronhansome @Robsolete @RUNAWAY @Sanctuary @slaybellz @Crisp X @Endothelium @Music Is Death @OspreyQueen @Blond) 9.5x (@Ugly Beauty) 9.25x1 (@daninternational)
    Low: 4x1 (@lemonsqueezyy) 5.5x4 (@andrewdarwitan @BreatheBox @138Prince @ysev) 6x4 (@Milotic @Hurricane Drunk @VitaminBee) 6.5x1 (@reputation.)
    Total Points: 598.75
    My Score: 10/10

Well, this didn't go as planned. I wrote an entire (as usual) essay length post for this song only for everything to fall apart. Long story short, I lost the post and there isn't anything I can do to get it back. Am I devastated? Yes. Could I redo it? Probably. However, I just don't have the time or mental energy to do so. I really hope you all understand. Anyway, today we lose mega (basic) bop 'Bad Decisions' from Ari's magnum opus Dangerous Woman. Can we not lose songs from this album yet?

Let's quickly paraphrase my post. Bombastic, energy shot of a pop song. Seriously, the seratonin this gives me! I don't understand how you could not have fun with this. The production is a lot of fun. The chorus is noisy but not messy. I wish more than anything that she didn't say "hood love", like why would you think that was a good idea? I love the bass-y beats and the way the harmonies build throughout the song. I wrote an entire paragraph about that goddamn bridge. It is perfection and exceptionally iconic. This song makes me feel confident and a little wild. I love it very much.

Obviously I could say more, but we're just going to post your commentary and go to bed because I am stressed and frustrated from my tech difficulties. Expect plenty of content here tomorrow though!

@Dijah. (9) - "I’m… just gonna pretend she didn’t say “hood love.”"

@DJHazey (8) - "Oh yeah this was a popular one when the album first dropped. I wasn't as hot and bothered by it then but still enjoyed it alot and now I've definitely cooled off even more over it. Its bopability is unquestioned but it doesn't have anything standing out that makes me really look forward to another a play."

@superultra (7.5) - "She’s generic, but she’s cute. However, I still have some gripes with her saying they’ve got that “hood love.” What hood, sis? Which one? I would like to know. Quickly."

@Music Is Death (10) - "What a perfect pop song. That chorus is everything. So damn catchy, I can never get it out of my head. It’s crazy to think this wasn’t a single, cause it could’ve been huge."

@Cutlery (8) - "Greedy's little sister is bombastic without some brass work, still. It borders on generic but Ari knows how to sell it."

@Crisp X (10) - "The way the chorus just EXPLODES in its second half… Another single that never was. TikTok influencers, do you thing!"

@reputation. (6.5) - "A basic joyful bop. Love the vocal delivery but it’s far from my faves on this album and it drags its score down for me."

@RUNAWAY (10) - "I’m running out of synonyms for iconic….but know that this song embodies ALL OF THEM. it’s effortly amazing, every second of it."

@chrismoyer (8) - "What a badass track! Super underrated, wish it got more attention, it’s a bop and a half! It’s just so much fun, and I mean that bridge >>"

@Milotic (6) - "The chorus is just too noisy for me. Not something I actively hate, but nothing I'll run back to. "

@daninternational (9.25) - "Back to the relatable bops. God this was an album <3"

@pop3blow2 (9) - "Kinda basic but very solid. There’s enough stuff going on here for me to keep my interest & revisit."

@OspreyQueen (10) - "This was my immediate favourite from the album, but I have a bit of a sad story associated with it so gather round. Back in 2014 when my main social media was…Miiverse, I made friends with a cishet male Arianator(!!!) who I’d often playfully butt heads with over not liking My Everything that much. In 2015 he said he was taking a “little break” from the site and…I never spoke to him again. And when this album came out I SO wanted to tell him that I actually really liked it and especially adored this song, but I never even got the chance. I still think of him every time I listen."

Thank you all for understanding. Honestly, everything has been working against me the last couple of days so hopefully tomorrow fares better. I am going to attempt 2-3 eliminations a day in the hopes that we can finish this month. I really really am sorry for all the time this has taken. What a year! I love you all very much. Stay safe! Goodnight!

PS. Our next elimination is an absolutely stunning vocal moment and I am very upset it's leaving. I'm going to be upset a lot from now on.

5. You know, all those hoods in Boca Raton, Florida! [/Kappa]

---

As for losing your post, the site automatically saves your draft as you go, so when you come back to the page it should have most of the post you were working on and then you can click 'More Options' to bring the post page back up continue working on it. Trust me, I know this because my work's browser constantly "freezes" midway through whenever I work on elimination posts and it's become a routine.

Also there is a 'Save Draft' button on the top (towards the right, a disc icon) and clicking it saves the draft for you for sure if you don't think/know it's not doing it automatically.​

6. I used to send Bad Decisions to my best friend whenever I was hooking up with someone regrettable (which was a lot). An anthem.

7. Dangerous Woman is such a strong album, I feel like most of its songs could have been singles.

Also, @savilizabeths, this elimination post was still great. I know it wasn't what you intended (and I do like reading all of your thoughts about each song), but I think everyone would be fine with more basic eliminations like this going forward if they're easier for you. Don't beat yourself up about it!

8. This is is such a fantastic bop and one I remember playing over and over when it was out. Dangerous Woman, what an album. She's done amazing work since of course, but I don't think she will quite top this somehow.

savilizabeths and junkos like this.
  9. I just noticed I have only 3 scores below 8 and we still have 30 songs left. What a discography!

10. ☁️ MEET YOUR TOP 30! ☁️

YOURS TRULY (2/12)

Honeymoon Avenue
    The Way (ft. Mac Miller)

CHRISTMAS KISSES (1/5)

Santa Tell Me

MY EVERYTHING (3/17)

One Last Time
    Break Free (ft. Zedd)
    Love Me Harder (ft. The Weeknd)

CHRISTMAS & CHILL (0/6)

DANGEROUS WOMAN (11/18)

Moonlight
    Dangerous Woman
    Be Alright
    Into You
    Side to Side (featuring Nicki Minaj)
    Greedy
    Everyday (featuring Future)
    Sometimes
    Touch It
    Knew Better / Forever Boy
    Thinking Bout You

SWEETNER (6/15)

God is a Woman
    Everytime
    Breathin’
    No Tears Left to Cry
    Better Off
    Goodnight n Go

THANK U, NEXT (7/13)

Imagine
    NASA
    Bloodline
    Bad Idea
    Ghostin’
    In My Head
    Thank U, Next

EXTRAS (0/16)

11. We should only lose songs from the last 3 albums before top 20.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  12. ....Why?

[​IMG]

☁️ IMAGINE ☁️

Average: 8.229

Step up the two of us, nobody knows us
    Get in the car like, "Skrrt"
    Staying up all night, order me pad thai
    Then we gon' sleep 'til noon
    Me with no makeup, you in the bathtub
    Bubbles and bubbly, ooh
    This is a pleasure, feel like we never act this regular

High: 10x16 (@Blond @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Music Is Death @ysev @SlowGinFizzzz @Wired Life @Crisp X @Sanctuary @RUNAWAY @TwistedInnocence @Espeon @Vitamin @WhatKindOfKylie? @savilizabeths @2014 @dylanaber) 9.5x1 (@stoicist)
    Low: 3x1 (@Hurricane Drunk) 4x1 (@BreatheBox) 5x2 (@elektroxx @Ugly Beauty) 6x4 (@Ana Raquel @VitaminBee @fatyoshi @Sprockrooster)
    Total Points: 600.75
    My Score: 10/10

This hurts! Ariana loves to start her albums on an ethereal note, whether it's a delicate intro or a full fledged track like this one and 'Moonlight'. It's a chance for her to introduce herself and show what she brings to the idustry, which is absolutely insane vocal chops! Today we lose her most recent (not for long though) opening track, 'Imagine', a thank u, next highlight for me. It was released as a promotional single and is Ari's highest charting one to date, hitting the top ten in eight different countries. Some of the lyrics mirror those in Mac Miller's song 'Cinderella', which Ariana has confirmed is about her, leading people to believe the song is about him.

How is this song so beautiful? While it isn't quite a 'Moonlight' or a 'Tattooed Heart' for me, it definitely operates in that space. There is such a dreamy, romantic quality to it that really makes it feel like 'Moonlight's' more sophisticated older sister. She is fucking GLAMOROUS! The way the first verse paints such a clear picture and sets the tone so well. I can picture a lavish, soft lit hotel room with a beautiful bathroom, champagne glasses, nice food, lazy mornings in bed. It's so beautifully aesthetic that it just sounds like a wonderful daydream. Which is exactly what it is. Ariana has described the song as being about "a simple, beautiful love that is now (and forever) unattainable" and that is so sad and lovely. I can see her thinking back on failed relationships, imagining a world in which they worked out. Imagining a world in which they were simple, unaffected by outside forces and pain. Specifically her relationship with Mac. Imagining how it could have been without the hardships. If it was simple and they could just be together. It makes the song feel so bittersweet.

I just feel like everything works so well together here to create the desired effect. Ariana's sugary vocals, the ethereal harmonies, her angelic whistle tones, the soft, sweeping production. It's exactly the type of song you would add to a romantic playlist. It almost has an Old Hollywood glamour type feel to me while still feeling muted and soft. There are so many parts of this song that I love. The pre-chorus is so delicate! The way the melody flows and her voice drips with sweetness. The way the clicking beat backs it up. The way it builds to her belting the "kiss me and take off your clothes" line! I think I've talked a lot lately about how beautiful it is when most of the music falls away until it's almost primarily Ariana's vocals and this first chorus is a gorgeous example. She goddamn soars in it and it sounds like she's floating in the fucking stars or something! The way the instrumental is quiet behind her, building back up slowly. It's so seamless! And the music collides with the stunning harmonies so beautifully. It's like everything meets in the middle. Also, you know how she says "drip, drip, dripped in gold"? Well, that's what the post-chorus instrumentation sounds like to me!

The final minute is god tier. It basically turns into a choir. The strings swell, the harmonies soar and it sounds like the climax of an incredibly dramatic romantic movie. It is literally unreal! The way the strings build up to the whistle tones! AND THOSE WHISTLE TONES THEMSELVES! My mouth dropped open when I heard them for the first time. They sound so effortlessly angelic! It is truly a highlight in her discography and one of her greatest vocal moments. I know she doesn't sing the song live very much due to how personal it is but the one time she did them live was absolutely incredible! She really did that! The emotions she pours into this song. Truly remarkable.

The "creep shit" line makes me laugh a little because it feels just slightly out of place but hey, it doesn't bother me that much.

I'm sure there is more I could say, but I think I'd rather hear from you voters. @DJHazey (7) shrugs: "I wish I had more love for it than I do because when I imaaagine the song is finally clicking with me things settle back down pretty quickly and I'm just simply content or meh towards it again." Well it is a gorgeous ballad and you never seem to like those, do you? @superultra (7) has an interesting idea: "I probably would have enjoyed this more if Cashmere Cat produced it or remixed it." Oh! I would actually love to hear that! Is it too late to manifest? @Cutlery (7.5) stans the end of the song: "Like I've observed before, the track is cute but inessential in the beginning, but when the final minute, the grand strings and the whistle notes all kick in... I ascend." I think we ALL ascend. @blaze_dave (8) doesn't understand people: "Never understood the hate for this song, great intro to the album." I will note tolerate any hatred of this song! @daninternational (8) has...an opinion: "Probably a necessary bridge between Sweetener and next album, but it doesn't bring much new." Hmm. For once, @Milotic (8) and I....sorta agree: "I remember not caring for this upon my first listen, but man the lyrics sure hit hard dont they? Also I love how the production crescendos into a full symphony during the bridge." I mean, this was an immediate favourite for me (I gave it my 11 in the BPG rate) but I am with you on everything else!

@chrismoyer (8) gives a perfect song only an 8??: "An excellent, beautiful start to her most personal album. Her vocals on this one are outstanding and chilling. I like how this song is kind of sad (We miss you Mac), and a little off/eerie which makes all the more beautiful. It also is soothing when you have anxiety." This commentary is actually lovely so your score is forgiven xx! @pop3blow2 (9) gives us a Mariah nod: "A very solid song that is completely elevated by the bridge that becomes the songs epic ending & outro. So weird and wonderful. I’ve refrained from comparing Ariana to other artists thus far in my commentary. That said, her full-on Mariah here really shows of her voice, so the overused comparsion to her can’t escape my mind here." It is a fair comparison here, so I get it! @Crisp X (10) uses some buzzwords that I love: "This kind of is the main soundscape of this album, but I appreciate the dreamy aspects of the production. This makes this song even more special." SOUNDSCAPE AND DREAMY ARE GREAT WORDS! @TwistedInnocence (10) is simplys stating fact: "The whistle notes are unbelievable!" They are jaw droppingly beautiful, yes! And finally, @RUNAWAY (10) is gagged: "This song really blew my wig off the first time I heard it. It’s so much more deserving of just promo single status. I honestly feel like it could’ve been a huge single for Ari, like come on, it went to #21! The girls were here for it." Imagine a world like that indeed.

Goodbye to 'Imagine', our first of the top 30 to leave. Next up we have a sweet song...and a cover from me! I recorded it a few years ago, so be kind but I figured it would share it when the song got eliminated. So see you then! I love you all! I also voted in my country today and I hope you all are doing the same! Stay safe, see you soon.

13. Imagine?
    EDIT: Oh I hadn't even reached the bottom of the page. I loooooove the last minute or so of the song, particularly because it's a side of Ari's voice that we don't get too often on record, and that makes Imagine more special for it

14. What is "Santa Tell Me" still doing here? I feel like y'all probably think that I'm the Grinch with the amount of times that I've called for its elimination.

15. imagine is absolutely beautiful and it has always meaned so much to me, makes me think of my long distance boyfriend and the urge to finally be together properly.

16. [​IMG]
    Never cared about this one much, sorry ladies.

17. Never seem to like ballads? Hmm, someone is forgetting how I'm like the only stan for Just a Little Bit of Your Heart.

18. 'Imagine' had to grow on me a bit. I was a bit 'whatever' about it on my first listens. It's a subversive little song full of intricacies that just clicked_clicked_clicked one day.

19. Sleighing.

20. Santa Tell Me, is too good to be going anywhere even at this point I think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.