In Memory of Ronnie Spector | The Popjustice Forum

In Memory of Ronnie Spector

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Runawaywithme, Jan 12, 2022.

1. I couldn't find a thread for her so I decided to make one. The original bad girl and a true trailblazer and original who has been an inspiration to so many of our favourites through the years has just sadly passed away. I'm really shaken up by this news so I thought it would be nice to have a place to share memories and music and celebrate her incredible legacy. Here she is back in the day singing my favourite song by her and putting on a fabolous performance. Rest in peace to a true legend.

2. To have had only one album almost 60 years ago and still have your song be regarded as the best girl group track of all time all these years later? Talent. What an icon.

Fuck 2022.

moorje, Liberty, Island and 3 others like this.
  3. A voice for the ages, honestly. Listen to 'I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine' and marvel!

4. Whenever the topic of the "Wall of Sound" comes up, the producer and Ronnie's ex-husband become the focus. But the voices of Darlene Love and Ronnie Spector are so integral to why the Wall of Sound sounded so wonderful.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  5. RIP Ronnie. This was very saddening to me because they were one of the first acts to kick off my love for 60s music and 60s girl groups. Currently bumping all their music right now.

I hope Zendaya does well in this biopic

berserkboi likes this.
  6. Ronnie had one of the greatest voices in music. Those Ronettes songs are righty all-time, hall of fame type stuff (Be My Baby has a claim to be the greatest pop song ever, I think), but her sporadic later solo career was also often a joy:

Her autobiography is also a gripping - and harrowing - read. RIP Ronnie.

7. RIP to a true icon and trailblazer. Other than her 60s output I adore these two from the mid 80s

This track interpolates Be My Baby with Ronnie's re-recorded vocals and appearing in the video and was a US Top 5 Billboard Hot 100 hit in 1986. This led Columbia Records to offer Ronnie a record deal to release her second solo album in 1987, well worth a listen

(written by Desmond Child and Diane Warren)

(written by Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly)

What a voice and what a legacy.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  8. A colossal talent whose importance and influence remains undiminished.

While I don't love this version, this is still a key moment where her influence comes full circle:

9. Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    berserkboi and Runawaywithme like this.
  10. berserkboi and huntypoo like this.
  11. Heard a beautiful sound on the radio today and found out it was Say Goodbye to Hollywood with the E Street Band, which I instantly adored. Sought out the full tribute episode to her (here) and feeling overjoyed to be introduced to the treasure trove that is her discography and her storied history! Rest in peace to a legend, excited to listen to all of your picks.

berserkboi likes this.
  12. I think "Paradise" is one of the greatest recordings of all time. Just so beautiful and haunting. Ronnie made it so special.

berserkboi and Musiquelover64 like this.
  13. Did she ever release a full album on George Harrison's Apple label? Came across this gem she did while signed with him. It's very Wall of Sound inspired but more trippy.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    berserkboi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.