Inside No. 9 | The Popjustice Forum

Inside No. 9

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by OspreyQueen, Feb 4, 2020.

1. I figured it was about time this show got a thread now series 5 is underway, I know there's at least a few fans on Popjustice.

First of all, did anyone see last night's episode? I thought it was...fine, but not especially interesting when I have zero interest in football. There were a couple of great lines here and there though, and the drama between the characters was really well-written and acted even if I couldn't completely follow it.

If you haven't seen this show, I can't recommend it highly enough*. It's often compared to Black Mirror, but it's not bound by the technology theme, and its scope for genre is even wider despite each episode taking place in a single location. There's horror, drama, comedy, often all within the same episode.

*skip A Quiet Night In though, trust me

2. Ralf Little gets better looking with age.

I really enjoyed it, it made me laugh a lot, and it being a gay football story was unique.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    mi|kshake and OspreyQueen like this.
  3. I liked last night's episode, but maybe I missed something/am a bit dim as I didn't entirely understand the ending. Reece's character was great and, because of the unpredictable nature of the show, I felt a little on edge wondering what was going to happen.

My favourites in the series have been the one with Sheridan Smith (12 Days of Christine), The Devil of Christmas and Dead Line, the 2018 Halloween special.

That Sheridan Smith episode was very emotional, The Devil of Christmas completely wrong-footed me and Dead Line was just so well done. Love the variety of the episodes.

The only one I really didn't like was the one in mostly silence. Looking forward to the rest of the series!

4. Well they'd mentioned him supporting that other team who were close to moving up a league, like the teams in the match they were refereeing... so when the match got called off, it would have meant the team he supported moved up. And the CTID tattoo on his back clarified that.

I would chuck in my whole career to suck that captain's dick mind.

The Devil Of Christmas is superb tv.

life_is_good and OspreyQueen like this.
  5. Ooh, thanks for the clarification!

OspreyQueen and Andrew.L like this.
  6. Ehhh, tonight’s episode didn’t leave much of an impression on me.

I’ve never seen Psychoville so the throwbacks did nothing for me, even if I did enjoy the story regardless. Also, Jenna was woefully underused, and the way her character’s story was wrapped up made absolutely no sense to me. They obviously had no idea what to do with her after setting up the episode and just kinda...cobbled something together.

7. You probably need to have seen Psychoville to appreciate it fully. I thought it was fantastic!

8. I enjoyed it too. Thought the boyfriend was a bit wooden (to the point that I thought it was a 'play within a play' episode) but great to see Sarah Solemani back as Emily.

That episode of Psychoville when Tina Turner makes her entrance still cracks me up, so it was great to see those ping pong balls make a comeback!

OspreyQueen likes this.
  9. Last week's episode didn't do anything for me. I was surprised by the positive reaction on Twitter. Maybe it helped if you were a football fan.

Last night's was fantastic though. What a surprise that was! I was a huge fan of Psychoville and I'm so glad I didn't watch it on catch up so it wasn't spoilt.

I guess this means theres scope for a League of Gentlemen crossover but I'm not sure if they'd go down that route now for fear of rehashing old ideas.

OspreyQueen likes this.
  10. Not my favourite episode ever but loved the Psychoville crossover and a few good twists.

burzacott and OspreyQueen like this.
  11. I was quite happy with the football episode, and then I read an extra bit of spoiler/recap, it was totally genius. The referee was truly a messy stan, we gotta admire the passion.

12. I’ve never watched Psychoville, so it made even less sense to me! Still quite entertaining until the ‘twist’ ending which I suspect made no sense whether you watched Psychoville or not! Didn’t especially care for the football one either. Two smart-arsey episodes to launch the new series doesn’t bode well

13. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Neither of these episodes have been their usual high standard so I re-watched the Sheridan Smith one and I'm just blown away all over again.

14. They will never top The 12 Days of Christine, that was just stunning and heartbreaking TV.

I was bored senseless by the football episode and have never seen Psychoville so probably didn't really appreciate that one either. Hopefully things pick up with Anna Windass in the next one!

15. I’ve said it before on this forum but Dead Line honestly changed my life. Easily my favourite episode by miles.

2014 and idratherjack like this.
  16. I got the gist of the football episode, but still just too much ‘footy’ talk. It felt like it went on for hours.

The twist at the end of the second ep was terrible and so weak. I’m amazed Jenna Coleman signed up for that.

17. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Yeah Jenna was used so badly in that episode. And the
    gay kiss
    in the football episode is literally the only thing I can remember from it.

OspreyQueen likes this.
  18. I'll second this. This series is full of fantastic episodes, but this one is undoubtedly my favourite.

The two new episodes have been awful though. I've never seen Psychoville, and going by this episode, I can tell it won't be for me.

OspreyQueen likes this.
  19. It’s so obvious that Death Be Not Proud was originally supposed to just be about a couple moving into a flat with a disturbing past, and then after getting Jenna on board they decided to literally involve one of their past projects in the plot. It’s actually quite a clever idea, but cramming both stories into one 30 minute episode was so overambitious.

Tommy Johnson likes this.
  20. Even to me, who never watched Psychoville, the episode was quite enjoyable and fun until the last few minutes. It was like the writers though, “Oh fuck. Jenna’s here. What do we do with her?”

OspreyQueen likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.