Inside No. 9 | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

Inside No. 9

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Inland Empire, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

It's up to you, but there have been a few times when I've forgotten there was a new episode out and opened the thread without thinking. Maybe just do it if you're posting on the evening of broadcast or the next day.

I love this interpretation! Very appropriate too given that there's an episode about public information films coming up.

Jamie and Andrew like this.
  2. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Diane Morgan is so good. I liked the episode, it's settled me in nicely for this being back again so soon.

Robbietoxic and Inland Empire like this.
  3. I felt the "twist" that Darren (was that Steve Pemberton's character's name?) was dyslexic was better than the ending twist. Purely cause I didn't pick up on the hints earlier in the ep until I read a review. Misreading the invite and the pedo/pedalo jokes! Genius!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  4. "I'm sorry, is Bonnie a Guinnea Pig?"

mi|kshake and burzacott like this.
  5. Inland Empire

Ehh, that one was a bit mid. Obvious very early on where it was going, and it didn’t really subvert the Wicker Man story except vaguely tying it into climate change? I’ve been wanting an environmental episode from them for a while now, but bloody Orphan 55 was more affecting than this.

Also, the ending was a huge letdown. I realise grievous bodily harm isn’t gonna be on the BBC at any time, but come on. You can’t reference The Wicker Man, which is literally famous for its downer ending where we see the protagonist burn to death with our own eyes, and end it with…a child’s drawing of the sacrifice that’s about to happen.

On a lighter note though, the Creepy Folk Song was good, and I already know it’s gonna be stuck in my head as much as the Maypole song.

6. Yeah I didn't really rate it. I was reminded of a couple of their other weaker ones where it feels reliant on the twist being shocking and macabre. Had some good laughs in it though!

Inland Empire and Andrew like this.
  7. Meh, if anything episode 2 was more comedy than anything else. I found myself laughing at a few moments throughout.

8. Realised I’ve watched every episode multiple times but seem to have missed Last Night At The Proms. What a great episode!

Andrew likes this.
  9. Sorry for the double post, but I loved episode 2. I’m seemingly dense, as I didn’t see the twist coming at all and found it more disturbing than comedic.

10. I enjoyed the end when everything went batshit crazy peaking with Annette Badland in that costume! And, as usual, I like how everything ties together!

11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I found the 2nd episode boring (even though I hate that criticism). It just didn't grab me like they usually do.

12. I did not even realise that was Annette Badland!!! That costume's face was pure nughtmare fuel

mi|kshake likes this.
  13. Hmm, I'm a huge fan but I really wasn't here for two Englishmen painting the Welsh as backwards and isolated in 2022. It's such a tired trope, and according to the postcard the location of the school was in the South Wales valleys which is hardly the middle of nowhere.

And they made a mistake by referring to Ofsted when Wales doesn't have Ofsted, so there.

14. Thought the same. I’m a teacher in Wales and the Ofsted comment stuck out like a sore thumb.

Future Lover, ZombieJam and Matgo like this.
  15. This week's was wonderful

Sleepycat likes this.
  16. Latest is the best in a very long time. Up there with their very best, I think.

2014 likes this.
  17. Inland Empire

Well uhh, this one was a total miss for me. I liked the direction and editing, and there were a few good gags, but the plot wasn't very engaging and the characters felt uncharacteristically one-note. All three guest stars were great, but they were given barely anything to work with.

The title also made me think Daisy Haggard's character was gonna reveal she was pregnant and that tie into the twist in some way, but...nope? They really missed a trick there.

Stradiwhovius likes this.
  18. I think my problem is that I'm looking forward to Wise Owl so much that this one and next weeks will never be good enough!

Inland Empire likes this.
  19. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I thought the latest episode was excellent; the cast was stellar!

mi|kshake likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.