Irish Politics | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

Irish Politics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gagapourgaga, Jan 29, 2018.

1. The tallies are lining up with the projections already. It's beautiful to watch. Estimates are 87% of under 24s and 84% of under 34s voted Yes. Even my male sistrens didn't fuck up, with solid 65% yes. Also, I totally underestimated my constituency, as they currently look at being over 70% yes.

It looks like only the over 65s and Donegal (who I'd low key trade for one of the other six counties at this stage) seem to be out of step. There's no one demographic pushing this over the line, it really is Ireland as one making this change.

[​IMG]

2. So proud to be Irish today! The fact it passed by a much higher percentage than thought, really shows how ireland is changing, for the better.

Reading the bitter comments on facebook, made by No voters is fucking hilarious. Really shows what these people are like, making racist and homophobic comments. All these people saying that them voting No had nothing to do with religion but all I can see is religious bullshit everywhere. So glad ireland is changing for the better!!

3. I was at a ceremony last night where one of the women stopped the DJ to tell us all about the exit poll and the whole place erupted with joy. I live just up the road from the RDS and the scenes there are amazing too!

What an amazing middle finger to those who were stuck in the Dark Ages and wanted to continue repressing women and their rights to their bodies. All I've got to say now is COME THROUGH 21ST CENTURY IRELAND.

A&E, phily693, irishlamb and 3 others like this.
  4. Seeing today the NO voters write about morality and hell makes me very happy.

irishlamb, papatrick and gagapourgaga like this.
  5. Amazing news! I’m so happy for you all. Hats off to those who got involved in campaigning.

Andrew, inevitable, Stopremix and 5 others like this.
  6. What a result! I was hopeful it would pass, but I thought it would be a marginal victory.

This compares the referendum which introduced the 8th amendment (on the right), and yesterday's one to repeal on the left. What a different country in 35 years.

[​IMG]

7. yay Progress 1 - Bigotry 0

papatrick and andru like this.
  8. I made a really quick trip home to vote (and missed a Rina gig) and I've honestly never felt more proud to be Irish. It's the women in my life who made growing up here somewhat bearable, and to think they've waited this long for a basic human right is confounding. But now it's clear this country wants to be a better, more nurturing place. I can't see myself living here but I'll certainly do less grimacing when talking about it.

Kuhleezi, Filippa, Andrew and 4 others like this.
  9. This is incredibly moving. And trust me, the repercussions of this will extend far beyond the borders of Ireland.

10. As a Nordie, I’m sadly not entitled to vote so can only applaud those that led the Yes campaign, went out to vote, encouraged people to come home to vote and make real change occur and for the better. This issue obviously doesn’t affect me (especially not in the same way as the marriage equality ref) but the significance of the result isn’t lost on me. This is huge for Ireland and shows the emphatic shift in attitudes in the last 20 years or so, not just by young people but by older generations too.

My lack of being able to vote doesn’t stop me celebrating that my home country is changing, attitudes have changed, we’re moving away from these outdated laws and views, and it’s truly heartwarming to know that as powerless as I am that my fellow Irish brothers and sisters came through when it mattered. That can only make you proud to be Irish.

Kuhleezi, citoig, irishlamb and 2 others like this.

11. Pinching myself all day. So grateful & proud. I've seen women I grew up with fight for their rights with unwavering grace and composure in the face of so much hostility over the last few months (to say nothing of the women who've fought this battle for decades). It just feels so important. Éire Abú!

Kuhleezi, A&E, Mikl C and 5 others like this.
  12. A grassroots feminist movement has obliterated one of the most powerful organizations in the world, what a day. I’m so incredibly proud of the leaps and bounds this country has made towards equality in recent years while countries around us have taken enormous steps backwards.

13. They played this here shortly after the official announcement. It was not what I needed, I was barely holding it together as is. It really was beautiful to be surrounded by so many strong women celebrating today.

It's so important to remember that it's not over yet, though. It's likely at least 1500 women will still have to go to the UK before the legislation is passed. There may be a light at the end of the tunnel, but those women will need our support as much as ever.

14. To give some more background as to how this referendum was run:

In October 2016, the Irish government randomly selected 99 citizens (and 1 chairperson) to discuss how Ireland should be in the future. They had meetings to discuss certain issues, and the details and outcomes were all published on the citizen assembly website.

One of the outcomes they had was that Ireland should repeal the 8th amendment, which states that a foetus has equal right to life as the mother, and which has been interpreted to prohibit abortion in almost all circumstances. The assembly also recommended that abortion at will be introduced up to 12 weeks into a pregnancy. From this, the government called a referendum on whether or not to repeal the 8th amendment.

I think the process was a huge success. The issue was broadly debated, and there was a clear plan of action should the public have voted yes. I would really like to see it continue so we can tackle other issues in Ireland.

Kuhleezi, papatrick, citoig and 4 others like this.
  15. Me on Friday walking through my old primary school hall in my hometown to vote and presenting my ID to the lady at the front desk:

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Stopremix, Kuhleezi, Andrew and 4 others like this.
  16. So with abortion being illegal in Northern Ireland, does that mean it is easier to adopt there as there are more unwanted pregnancies?

17. I'm blown away by the results so far. Sinn Fein getting the largest share of first preferences! Unthinkable even a month ago. Its such a shame they didn't put up more candidates; it looks like Fianna Fáil will end up with the most seats despite getting a lower overall vote share. But SF surpluses seem to be really helping other left candidates, which is fantastic. Its been disheartening to see left and progressive politics falter across the world in recent years so its been amazing to see Ireland buck this trend. If any government will actually be able to be formed with these results remains to be seen however.

18. This has been a clear win for left wing politics, but I don't think people are necessarily supporting SF so much as Labour are still cancelled, so SF scooped up.

People are very frustrated with Fine Gael's handling of the health service and the housing crisis, and FG are so ridiculously out of touch that they just can't get it.

Still though, hilarious to see FF already going back on their word and say they won't rule out a coalition with SF. Coalition has always been a red line for them to pay lip service to while SF was a minority party.

And Varadkar not getting his seat until the 5th vote. Ha suffer!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.