Is *dead* the new (L)augh (O)ut (L)oud? | The Popjustice Forum

Is *dead* the new (L)augh (O)ut (L)oud?

Discussion in 'Forum business' started by swinginglondontown, Jun 16, 2010.

1. What is this new forum cuntery?

Any derivation on the above terms is risible.

Stop using it.

OK?

Ta.....

2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Seems like it.
    Not a fan.. I don't want people to think I'm laughing while I'm actually really dead.

3. It took me so long to understand what it actually meant. Doesn't half help that the first time I saw a poster use it I thought "Good".

4. Oh God, going to show myself up here...what does it mean?

5. TM

TM

It means that they've suffered death through laughter. Unfortunate.

6. 3Xs

3Xs

It's no different than saying "I pissed myself" or "I bust a gut". Just another creative way to say that you laughed really hard. It's not like it's improper grammar in the same way as L O L. It's not hurting anyone, if you don't like it personally then just don't use it, simple.

7. I think the problem with it is, in many cases, users will post the word *dead* and nothing more. This, you might argue, goes against the rule that all posts should advance the discussion rather than simply saying you agree or going *sadface*.

8. 3Xs

3Xs

True. But then some people on here write full essays and they still don't advance the discussion! Haha!

9. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

Oh don't be ridiculous, you cannot claim that posting *dead* is in any way creative - it's shorthand, it's shit, it's not funny and it says more about the person using it than it does about the original supposedly 'funny' comment.

10. 3Xs

3Xs

Okay maybe "creative" was the wrong word to use, but I maintain it's no different than saying "I pissed myself" etc.

11. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

Yes and comments like that are hardly the height of online debate, are they.

12. 3Xs

3Xs

No the height of online debate is having an entire discussion about a single word. EXCITING.

In all seriousness, I agree posting *dead* and that's all isn't advancing the discussion. I don't mind it though if someone says dead and then posts something after that. Acknowledge that the other point was funny, and then bring up a new one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.