ITALY // Sanremo 2024

Angelina should win.
The best would be to have Angelina, Annalisa and Loredana as the finalists. Three women and multiple generations

Rumors are circulating that Geolier got more votes than the other 14 artists combined on Wednesday.

Damn I reaaaally want Mahmood to win Sanremo. Would love to see him perform Tuta Gold at Eurovision. Also not against an Annalisa, Angelina or Clara win but it ain't happening is it?

he/him/his
Ok let me prepare for the Geolier win tonight.

Can‘t believe Italy is going to send another men when they have two great female options that would also do much better.

Can‘t believe Italy is going to send another men when they have two great female options that would also do much better.
Aside from the occasional hit song / featuring, Italians don’t listen to female artists.
There are 5 women in the top 100 album chart.

Aside from the occasional hit song / featuring, Italians don’t listen to female artists.
There are 5 women in the top 100 album chart.
THAT’s not true, at all. The last couple of years with the trap music trend, which is male dominated, the charts have been full of men, but the italian scene has a lot of huge female artists. I mean, we have Loredana and Fiorella still going strong after decades. Also Giorgia, Elisa, Laura Pausini… and I’m not even counting younger women.

THAT’s not true, at all. The last couple of years with the trap music trend, which is male dominated, the charts have been full of men, but the italian scene has a lot of huge female artists. I mean, we have Loredana and Fiorella still going strong after decades. Also Giorgia, Elisa, Laura Pausini… and I’m not even counting younger women.
https://www.fimi.it/top-of-the-music/classifiche.kl#/charts/11/2023/0

This is the year end chart for 2023

There are 8 female artists. The highest charting woman is Elodie at 20. Laura Pausini latest album at 77! Annalisa had huge hits in 2023 and her album is barely in the top 50

Last edited:
https://www.fimi.it/top-of-the-music/classifiche.kl#/charts/11/2023/0

This is the year end chart for 2023

There are 8 female artists. The highest charting woman is Rose Villain at 35. Laura Pausini latest album at 77!
But what the chart shows is exactly what @dontkillmyvibe said, that it’s more a matter of genre rather than gender. Most of the artists in the top positions are either trap or trap-adjecent. Not a coincidence the most streamed female artist in Italy is Anna (4.6 million listeners on Spotify—Elodie has 3.9, Annalisa 3.6, Mahmood 3.1, Marco Mengoni 2.6, Geolier 5.8, Sfera Ebbasta 7.8!!!)

After all, how could Elodie and Annalisa achieve their streaks of multi-platinum hits and sold-out tours in the last few years if “Italians don’t listen to female acts”? The problem is there aren’t as many people wanting to spend €2,50 to send those five votes when televote is open as the middle/high-schoolers stanning Geolier. Maybe that will change for the final.

And when I speak of a vaguely anti-Southern vibe, I mean exactly this: it’s the 14-year-olds in Milan who like to pretend they’re gangsters even if their dad is a lawyer who vote for Geolier en masse, not just people in Campania. It’s not niche folk music just because it’s in a regional language. If Naples and Southern Italy were such tastemaking powers, Nino D’Angelo wouldn’t have flopped every time he stepped on the Sanremo stage.

Last edited:
And when I speak of a vaguely anti-Southern vibe, I mean exactly this: it’s the 14-year-olds in Milan who like to pretend they’re gangsters even if their dad is a lawyer who vote for Geolier en masse, not just people in Campania.
This scalding tea though. Geolier isn't simply representing Southern Italy, he's catering to the entire white-boi-swag demographic that has engulfed Europe in the last 10 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a decent placement at Eurovision this year, I can see the Milchreis Rap German demographic eating him up.

Annalisa had huge hits in 2023
So what is the truth? And why is the singles chart sprinkled with female artists all over? You can say Italians have a preference for male artists (more so in the last decade), but to say female artists are relegated to 'occasional hit songs' is a bit disingenuous. I mean, the amount of women on Sanremo's top 15 alone has to mean something, right? Or are they getting pity votes?

So what is the truth?
That’s the point. Annalisa had 3 huge “tormentoni” and still her album wasn’t massive.
In the last 10 years most female artists have their occasional summer hit/ Sanremo moment, but then flop when they release an album or something during the rest of the year.
It’s no coincidence that a woman hasn’t one this show since 2014.

Last edited:
One thing we should keep in mind for tonight is juries vote by ranking all artists on a scale from 1 to 10, unlike people at home whose vote awards only a handful of artists. This strongly limits the juries’ power of influencing the ranking during the week.

But things change completely once the Final 5 gets announced and the previous rankings discarded. The juries pick their favourites instead of rating the contestants on a scale and that gives them the power to balance\upset the televote, even if one of the artists got an immense amount of votes from the public.

Don't write anyone off yet.