It's Gonna Be a Hot Rate : Monrose Discography Rate (Winner revealed!) | Page 49 | The Popjustice Forum

It's Gonna Be a Hot Rate : Monrose Discography Rate (Winner revealed!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Vixen, May 23, 2016.

1. I was so scared and was afraid to look...

Only to find out it was tiptoe.

2. I don't mind these tracks leaving, but they're not bad either.

3. Rob

Rob

Tip Toe only #15? People need to get their ears checked!

Wasn't it also covered by another artist?

plasticFANTASTIC likes this.
  4. Yes indeed.

I have to admit that there isn't a single Cover I prefer to the Monrose version, the Girls always delivered the definitive Version and every thing else sounds watered down, especially the K-Pop covers.

5. Say Yes is still in are you guys kidding me ?

6. Say Yes is one of their best! I think I gave it a 8.5 originally, but I would score it a 10 now.

Vixen likes this.
  7. INTERESTING.

8. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

SHUT UP

This post and certain word choices...

9. The next elimination has at least one 11.

Kii.

10. It'll be mine I know it!

11. Oh god, it's mine.

12. Interesting.

Mr.Arroz likes this.
  13. I was curious so I went to see the scores and let me say...

If you think your 11 is safe... This is how the 11s have been distributed :

#13 - has one at least
    #12 - has one at least
    #11 - has none
    #10 - has one at least
    #09 - has one at least
    #08 - has one at least
    #07 - has none
    #06 - has none

Obviously top 5 will remain a secret a bit. Kii.

So basically, your fave is most likely about to leave.

*evil laughter*

Sprockrooster likes this.
  14. It's like I'm an addict...

feels like I'm your a slave (4 U)

kii.

13. Leading Me On

[​IMG]

Score: 8,174

Highest Score: 11 x 1 ( @TrainJumper ) 10 x 6 ( @tylerc904 , @Macanudo , @plasticFANTASTIC , @If You Go , @Remorque , @Conan )
    Lowest Score: 4 x 1 ( @Sprockrooster )

"Leading Me On" is pop-rnb masterpiece written by Robin Jenssen, Nermin Harambasic, Anne Judith, Wik Ronny, Svendsen & Pelle Lidell (basically, Dsign Music production team) and produced by Jiant & Snowflakers production teams for Monrose's second studio album, Strictly Physical.

It seems there was a little dichotomy in what you guys think of the songs, especially the chorus. On one hand, iheartpoptarts lives for it: "The verses aren’t doing much for me, but it really comes to life when the chorus hits. And luckily, it’s got a lot of chorus." That's for ihearty, because on the other hand, beloved GhettoPrincess seems to think not only does the verses trumps the chorus, but that the chorus is simply a dud : "I like the production and the verses but the chorus feels like a damp squib after the build up." Well, I think I'll side with iheartpoptarts on this one, babe.

Speaking of that chorus, Totto - which had just discovered them by then, couldn't fully recognise who was singing what exactly: "Don’t fully regonise Bahar voice yet, but I guess that it’s Senna and Mandy having a duel on the chorus or is that Bahar at the beginning chorus ?" It is Bahar indeed! She sounds great on it, by the way. But I see you had no trouble recognizing Queen Mandy's voice.

Some you guys almost handed it over their precious 11 score. It was the case, for example, for tylerc904 who comments: "My runner up" and describes it as "really mature and sexy." Well, my, I agree! Similarly, plasticFANTASTIC could have handed it over its 11, but chose a more careful choice - although who knows? His actual 11 might leave us soon... Hmmmmmmm... Either way, here's what he had to say : "I used to jam the hell out of this bop. It is really close to getting my 11. The verses have this firecracking r&b attitude and the chorus is breathtakingly melodic and it all is very soulful, very electronic all with a glossy sugarcoating of pop on top." That's certainly a brilliant way to depict the song.

Some of you guys actually did hand over their precious 11 score to this piece of sleazy pop. It's TrainJumper's case : "Okay I had many songs for the 11 & really struggled to figure out which song deserved it more and I'm just so relieved that I could finally make a decision. The song is just contagious, the lyrics are great, it's one of the girls favorite songs and I never get enough of it. I love that the chorus changes between Bahar and Mandy."

Some of you guys weren't as fond of the song as the ones mentionned above. DJHazey, first off, awards this a quite poor 7 score : "I said that there wasn't a song on this album below a 8, but it would seem that I lied. Hearing this again is clearly telling me that it's just a peg or two below. I like it, but it's giving me a Jessica Simpson filler-track vibe and I'm not really the biggest fan of her music. Okay I know that's weird because this is a group, but it's what I'm hearing." This is so wrong on so many levels. Especially after the 9 you gave to 'Golden'! Oh well, at least you admit it's somewhat decent, unlike Sprockrooster who just happens to trash the song in its commentary : "Goofy beat. I really have to be in the mood for this. That middle-8 is horrible always; trashing the song from above average to far below. I need a drink."

15. Tip Toe and now Leading Me On? YAAAAS!

16. It's going quite well for you, isn't it?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Totto and DJHazey like this.
  17. Don't even do it. Don't you dare tell me it's #12.

18. I am so sorry DJHazey...

You know I love it too...

But sometimes you have to let go...

...like a boy should
    Kii.

12. Like a Lady

[​IMG]

Score: 8,239

Highest Score: 11 x 1 ( @Macanudo ) 10 x 5 ( @Mr.Arroz , @Zdarlight , @TrainJumper , @Txetxu , @Vixen )
    Lowest Score: 4 x 1 ( @Totto )

"Like a Lady" is a dance-pop stomper, taken from Monrose's fourth studio album Ladylike. It was written by Risto Asikainen, Zippy Davis, Ercola and Alexander Komlew and produced by German production team Tuneverse. The track was the band's ninth single overall and proved to be commercially successful upon its release in May 2010, reaching the top ten on the Austrian and German Singles Charts.

SloMover believes that despite the fact "this song sounds like 2010", the track "still stands six years later" - I do agree that the sound of the song is really reminiscent of 2008-2010, most likely because it samples Guru Josh Projects/Klaas's "Infinity". Despite that, it does sound surprisingly strong in 2016. In fact, maybe sampling a 2008-2009 dance hit was exactly what they needed to say come back in force. At least, that's what plasticFANTASTIC believes : "This was a fighting statement. 2008 left them battered and bruised so it was good they took time out in 2009 to gather energy and kick their way back to relevance with this, their most succesful single in three years and their fourth consecutive top 10 album. The video was as strong of a statement as the song and it perfectly summed them up as a girlgroup in 2010."

Indeed the video was quite a statement wasn't it? Has a recent girlgroup ever championned dragqueens in such fashion? I mean, I know Destiny's Child did it once, I believe, but you know none of the likes of Girls Aloud, The Saturdays, Little Mix, Fifth Harmony would have the audacitiy and attitude to pull that off. Oopsie at all this truth tea. ANYWAY, a lot of you guys commented on the video. eyeline says: "Not as great of a song without the video. Though that prechorus does give me life! This also sets the apparent trendon this album of having the solos be split too equally. If that makes sense." Similarly, TrainJumper comments :"Their best video & great live version. Shame that this was the only good single out of that album."

Soime of you guys weren't as kind with the track. That's the case with iheartpoptarts, although she doesn't completely trash the song : "Why are the bops so generic all of a sudden? Not half bad, though!" Obviously, like all of you guys have seen now, DJHazey clearly doesn't believe this has a place in the top 15. Let's take a look at what he had to say: "This probably won't go over very well, but this isn't one of my favorites. I'm all for feminist anthems, trust me, but this just isn't sonically pleasing at all. The verses aren't doing nearly enough to cover for a chorus that sounds like it's going through the motions to me. Each "like a boy should" sounds kind of grating to these ears. Okay I'd better stop giving this chances or the score is going to keep going downhill. Sorry everyone! (If this is a fan favorite)" You are so wrong, once again.

Now most of you haven't mentioned only really important thing about the song and quite frankly possibly the most amazing thing about it.... Its artwork! Thankfully, Rob has the decency to do it : "The single artwork for this was absolute fire and completely ingenious, such a shame they didn't use it for the album cover!" I wish they did indeed. It would have been absolutely fierce. Others had ideas on how to make the song better. Sprockrooster says he wishes "the lyrics went a little bit deeper"...That's a fair statement! Epic Chocolat seems to agree, although he has a theory the lyrics are basic for a reason : "The beat is perfect for a step workout playlist. The lyrics are pretty standard maybe it's to help you keep the pace on the step. Just my imagination..."

Finally, we go to Txetxu so he can describe the song in all of its glory: "Gorgeous, dancey, vocals for days, catchy and a lovely video to boot. Their sound peak." Oh my!

I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_ at Monrose basically making 'Not Giving Up' by The Saturdays 4 years prior to them.

Here's a really shitty cover as well.​

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

DJHazey and Mr.Arroz like this.
  20. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

ONE OF THEIR BEST. Also the video? So forward-thinking. Brilliant.

Vixen likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.