iTunes Help Needed | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

iTunes Help Needed

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by idratherjack, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

iTunes DJ + Coverflow + all necessary song details visible at a glance is iTunes at its best.

[​IMG]

2. Can you not see the artwork at all in the 'Songs' column?

3. I can't see my scroll bar when I maximize the window. What the fuck! What kind of bullshit?

4. It re-sets when you close and re-launch. I spent ages setting up how I want it yesterday and on re-launch, it just reverts to the horrible views and re-displays my iCloud content, which I purposefully hid as I don't want it all in there. I also bought something and wanted to see the artwork. The only way to do this is to play the track and double-click on the tiny image at the top and then it opens up larger, but with a banner along the bottom with the play/volume control over the top of the art. In the last version, you could click the image again and that disappeared. Now, it stays. So, this artwork has stuff written along the bottom and I will never be able to read it. INSANITY.

Also, you can't see the exact length of a playlist any longer. Previously, you had the display of 1.2 hours along the bottom and when clicked, it would change to say 1.19 mins or 1.21 mins, ie. short enough or too long to burn to an 80 min CD. Now this info is appearing at the top, but you can't get the exact length, just "1.2 hours".

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  5. Not quite used to the new version yet, and only seeing play counts when in 'songs' is annoying, but the way it uses the colour schemes in 'albums' to list the tracks is quite cool.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  6. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

It won't let me search the contents of my iPod, which is an option I need. All I want to do is delete a few singles and replace them with an album that contains the same songs, but the only ay to do this now is to scroll through a massive list. Entering words into the search box now searches your computer-based library, not your iPod. Awful.

It's practically impossible to get an iPod Touch to scrobble, though.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  7. Rmx

Rmx

Does anyone have this problem as well? The problem being, the Japanese song titles being cut in half. It's not even a space issue since even fukuzatsu joshi which is as the bottom is cut in half. Well not half, more like 3/4, but it still bugs me.

8. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

It's just deleted everything off my iPod and added back half of it as, well as a load of stuff I don't want on there, like terrible Sugababes remixes. ugh.

9. I didn't really care about iTunes until I downloaded the new version. It's amazing! Makes me re-convert all my FLAC music to Apple Lossless, for real. There's only one simple issue, and I hope someone can help me... Is there any way to sort the releases by their release date in Grid view? It's basically the only problem I've had with it so far.

10. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

I think by year but not by exact date like month and day, I believe.

11. Ok that's just fucking stupid how is anyone supposed to burn an efficient playlist?

I'm glad I'm still on iTunes 8 or something.....

12. One of the things I like about iTunes 11 is that if a greatest hits (let's say "The Singles" by Goldfrapp) was released in 2012, even if every song is tagged with a different year it still classifies the album as a 2012 album. So if you browse albums by year it'll appear on 2012. Before it used to appear on the year of the first track.

It seems iTunes has identified the dates of most albums except for a few. Does anybody know how to change the release date of an album without touching the dates for every track?

13. I always changed the dates anyway to the year of the album's release, not the year the individual tracks came out.

I don't like the way it shows your deleted iTunes purchases in the library. I like them hidden.

14. Rmx

Rmx

I have a system that works really well on iTunes for your grid view and the new artist list, and on your iPod if you sort by artist. The 'albums' list on my iPod (not on iTunes) is completely fucked up but I think sorting by artist is more convenient anyway since if you want to listen to an album, you know which artist it's by anyway. I'll post some screenshots of what it looks like. What you do is really simple, you right click on an album, 'get info', go to the sorting tab, and instead of the album title you type "ALBUM 2012.12.01" (if it's an album released on December 1st, 2012). Do this for every album by the artist and they'll show up in chronological order. Like I said this works everywhere except for the 'Albums' sorting list on your iPod, because every single album you do this for will show up under 'A'. If you have an extensive discography, and you don't want studio albums, best of albums, remix albums and singles to mix, you can tag them differently. For example, if you tag Madonna's albums / singles / bests like this: "ALBUM xx.xx.xx" - "BEST xx.xx.xx" - "SINGLE xx.xx.xx" you'll get the albums in chronological order, the bests in chronological order and the singles in chronological order, like this. Obviously if you have Madonna's entire discography, you'd get all her albums followed by all her bests followed by all her singles. you can also add categories like "REMIX xx.xx.xx" for remix albums.

Sorry for the long story. Try it for one artist and see if you like it on your iTunes and iPod. With the new iTunes 11 I've noticed that these changes don't occur instantly, so try it with an artist you like, then briefly change screens between grid view and list view or something, and then you'll see the new sorting.

15. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

That sounds like a lovely system.
    Might try it after all I'm done adding covers to the remaining 2840 songs and year tags to the remaining 15213.

16. Has anyone had any problems with Genius since the update? On some singles, like the Rihanna and Britney S&M when I right click to start Genius it just plays the album version and builds a list based on that, which is different to the 'Genius is unavailable for this song' and 'There aren't enough associated tracks to build a playlist' which I still get for other tracks.

17. Thank you so much for that neat explanation, Rmx, you're a sweetheat!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  18. Does anyone else have the situation where, in expanded view, some albums have the artist name under each song and some don't? It tends to happen most with compilations, but it's not exclusively so. I think it looks much better with the extra names, but I have no idea what magic to work to get consistency and it's driving me slightly insane.

19. I think that's with any albums with more than one artist in them, so you see each song's artist when you expand.

20. That fits, thanks. I wish it was everywhere, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.