J-Pop - General Genre Discussion

^MiChi is safe! Don't worry, haha.

Also just confirmed safe:

Beni

Miliyah Kato

Ai Otsuka

Looks like Japan's celebrities got lucky. Unfortunately the same can't be said for so many others...*sad face*

The only Hinoi Team song I know well is 'King Kong', and only because it was later copied by E-Rotic and then Shanadoo, a Japanese girl group set-up for the German market.

KittyLips said:
The only Hinoi Team song I know well is 'King Kong', and only because it was later copied by E-Rotic and then Shanadoo, a Japanese girl group set-up for the German market.

Noooo. Shanadoo are AWFUL. Have you heard their cover of Japanese Boy? -dies-

Capsule's new album KILLER WAVE, which was originally meant to be released this month, has been postponed until further notice in light of recent events. Nakata said he's going to rename the album to something more "tasteful".

Oh, dear. I can see why! That actually took me a few seconds to cop on.

On a lighter note, I had Kana Nishino's Distance on repeat earlier. I watched the video once, totally forgot about it for weeks then finally got round to snagging it. Lovely song. And so is the second track on the single, Beloved.

Distance is one of my favorite singles of the year. Beloved is great too. I'm looking forward to her next album.

Avex just postponed all their March releases (starting next week), including Namie's Checkmate!, Kuu's Driving Hits 3, Ayu's ayu-mi-x 7. The new release dates will be announced soon.

I think it's amazing that all these record companies are postponing their releases to help with relief!

I read that there is talk of a charity concert featuring Ayumi and other artists? But not much info yet.

Am actually just starting to listen to the Song Nation songs - or the few that I have - which are Kumi & BoA (The Meaning of Peace), Namie & Verbal (Lovin' It) and Ayumi (A Song is Born). My favourite is The Meaning of Peace.

Also going on a bit of a Jpop nostalgia fest - giving a couple of my first Jpop albums a spin, which were Kumi's Grow Into One and BoA's Valenti.

mi|kshake~

If we're talking old skool, I had my first listen to Ayu's Rainbow album. Lovely. The sound is just so J-Pop (well, what I'd consider the quintessential 'J-Pop' sound) and so Ayumi, yet it has an interesting combination of genres. Hanabi is definitely one of her best ballads.

I used to love Four Seasons when I first got Style! It was that, As Good As & Come!

Rainbow is a great Ayumi album - lovely cover and CD booklet! Tracks 1 through to 7 are perfect - everything flows so well! And Close to You is great too! I've been going through a phase of listening to Hanabi a lot too! Definately one of her best ballads.

Songs like Hanabi and Free & Easy are why Ayumi needs to start composing songs with DAI again.

mi|kshake~

Well, it appears the disaster now has it's own theme song.

By my namesake, MiChi, it's called ONE

It's rather good. But perhaps that's just because MiChi is my queen.

MiChiMadNesS said:
Well, it appears the disaster now has it's own theme song.

By my namesake, MiChi, it's called ONE

It's rather good. But perhaps that's just because MiChi is my queen.

Wow that *is* really good! I thought it was going to be a cheesy ballad but it's quite dance-y and uplifting!

Rmx

He/Him/His
angelX said:
If we're talking old skool, I had my first listen to Ayu's Rainbow album. Lovely. The sound is just so J-Pop (well, what I'd consider the quintessential 'J-Pop' sound) and so Ayumi, yet it has an interesting combination of genres. Hanabi is definitely one of her best ballads.

RAINBOW is perfection. When it's sunny and summery and I've got nothing to do, I play July 1st during the day and HANABI in the evening. So perfect.

Speaking of Utada..

I love the video for Keep Tryin'. It's so uplifting and colorful, the song is amazing, too, of course. I'd say for me, it ties with Sakura Drops/ Passion as my favorite Utada MV.

Yes, Sakura Drops and Passion are great! I only wish she could make videos like that again but nowadays she doesn't seem to care about her videos as much (see Heart Station zzz and also Prisoner of Love and Flavour of Life - two "I'm in the studio" videos from the same album should not be allowed!)

I actually have a slight to urge to watch the Sakura Drops video, am slowly getting back into her. I used to watch my UH3+ DVD all the time!

Can't remember if I already mentioned but had a listen to Mika Nakashima's new single Dear and it's great! Her ballads a bit hit and miss for me. Mostly miss I think.

mi|kshake~

Rmx

He/Him/His
The Official List of Flawless Utada Hikaru Videos:
Final Distance
Traveling
Sakura Drops
Colors
Dareka no negai ga kanau koro
Passion
Keep Tryin'

This list is not under discussion.