J-Pop | Page 489 | The Popjustice Forum

J-Pop

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by scandipop, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Ooh, I always knew of her, but never listened to a single song. Should probably check her stuff out.
    She kinda lost me after the first two albums, but what albums those were, whew.

berserkboi, Trinu 3.0 and Crisp X like this.
  2. My copy of Miliyah's Liberty arrived today - yay!

RUNAWAY, Island and evilsin like this.
  3. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

Does anyone have any city-pop kinda albums that sound like...uh, this?

Bonus points if it was released in the 00s so I can save it for future PJ00s entries nn.

Crisp X likes this.
  4. A new song by Sekai No Owari. It's a bit by the numbers, but quite catchy. It sounds like a song Mika would do.

Crisp X and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  5. I'm such a sucker for a processed acoustic guitar.

Apparently the album was released in 2018.

Crisp X and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  6. FFX2 Thunder Plains vibes at the start!

I started to watch Moumoon's Full Moon 2015 Tour on YouTube and am enjoying it. It's cute! I'd only bought one of their albums before years ago and only liked one of the songs from it (think it may have been Get Real?) but thought I'd see what they'd been up to since. Liking the sound of quite a few of the songs (just a shame there's no time stamp on YouTube. Avex does seem to be doing this for other concerts but not Moumoon who have their website listed as Ayumi's!)

7. I gasped! Thank you for bringing this to my attention. My prayers have been answered.

Patriku likes this.
  8. going *plane emoji* 2007

9. nn the only misono song i ever really cared about was this cover

banger!

Trinu 3.0 and evilsin like this.
  10. It's been a while since I've listened to Lyrical School. They just put out a new single, right on time for their soonish 10th anniversary.

Also, while I was looking up "Jpop popjustice" to go back to this thread, I stumbled onto one of Koda Kumi's wikipedia pages which, at some point, links to... a rate?

I don't know who on here wrote that in, but that's kind of iconic.

RUNAWAY and aux like this.
  11. misono was always so frustrating for me. She has so much potential, but her output was always so... messy. Like if the song was decent, it would always be mangled by her oversinging or vice versa. The girl really needed some restraint in terms of her vocal acrobatics. And yet, there is a plethora of very enjoyable songs in her catalogue. My favorite is definitely "Zasetsu Chiten":

12. Yeah, we've discussed this during, let me remember, was it Part II of my rate? Iconic, indeed.

RUNAWAY and Crisp X like this.
  13. I feel like I need to start listening to J-pop more. Does anyone have any good recs? I seem to really enjoy J-pop that sounds very frantic and a little bonkers. Up-tempo stuff that you can dance to in the confinement of your room, that sort of stuff.

14. That's a loaded question. Maybe you should start with Perfume and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu? Most of their songs are upbeat and electronic. Who else? The JPop royalty in Ayumi, Namie, Hikki and Kumi come to mind instantly, but they are more traditional JPop with ballads and what not. Although Hikki is definitely the most experimental among the four. In that regard someone like Otsuka Ai is more bonkers. I've been waxing lyrical about m-flo on this forrem for quite some time now, but they truly were ahead of theit time, so I would definitely suggest checking out their "loves" trinity albums ("ASTROMANTIC", "BEAT SPACE NINE", "COSMICOLOR") for some quality and off-kilter songs. Hmmm... maybe Tommy february6 as well?

In the end, I guess I'm so used to the unusual aspects of music, so much so that I can't really think of something frantic or bonkers, really, dddd.

mi|kshake, RUNAWAY, yuuurei and 3 others like this.
  15. I'm familiar with Perfume and the "big" names like Namie, but Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and the other artists you've mentioned not so much. I will check out all of them, thank you! (I will also try to fine-tune my description of the type of J-pop I'm looking for.)

yuuurei, Crisp X and evilsin like this.
  16. Wednesday Campanella: their complete discography is basically bonkers and bops.
    Globe during the early 00s: check out 'outernet', 'Lights', 'Lights2' and 'LEVEL4'.
    Hitomi's later flop albums: 'SPIRIT' and 'Mobius'.
    Ami Suzuki's later flop albums: 'DOLCE' and 'Supreme Show'.
    SEKAI NO OWARI: 'Eye'.

Island, berserkboi, Patriku and 6 others like this.
  17. Thank you! I'm going to be very busy listening to all of these and @evilsin's recommendations.

New Flame, Crisp X and evilsin like this.
  18. Let us know your thoughts on those that you will listen to, so that maybe we will be able to narrow it down with some other artists.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  19. I never know what to recommend because in my mind, everything that ranges from the most bubblegum-y artists, to rockier, jazzier, or even hip-hop oriented ones, I consider all of it Jpop dd. I'm guilty of posting about groups closer to Jrock sometimes.

mi|kshake, New Flame and evilsin like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.