Jamelia - Superstar: The Hits | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

Jamelia - Superstar: The Hits

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Breakfast2, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just bought this, and am very impressed. I always liked Jamelia, but never picked up (or even downloaded) her albums. However, I felt the need to buy this as soon as I saw it today.

2. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I spend absolutely ages on any graphis work i do, and I'm never happy.
    This sort of thing really pisses me off. They pay people loads to do sod all.

It feels a bit ...brief.
    Couldn't they have done a DVD of the videos and a few remixes or something?

3. Parlophone didn't want to spend too much money and effort on this, its just a way to get the most money they can out of an act that soon won't be with them. Hence no new material, no single from the album and no extras. I doubt if Jamelia hadn't been promoting her hair range there would have been any promotion for it from her. She obviously didn't get a say in the matter and is trying to make the best of a bad situation.
    I just hope she can can get a deal with a decent label.

4. Steve

Steve Guest

I actually like Jamelia's music, I have bought all 3 of her studio albums, but this is a complete waste of money and exploitation of the few fans she has left, and deserves to flop. If Jamelia had nothing to do with it, she won't be that bothered by it flopping, anyway, but perhaps it will teach record labels that there are sane people left who won't just buy it for the sake of it.

The 'artwork' is hideous, considering the amount of photos at their disposal and the tracklisting is short, not only by the current majority of albums, but by her own previous studio albums, and actually misses off singles, which given the breadth of material at their disposal (some new tracks, some rare tracks, some B-sides, even remixes!) is inexcusable.

5. At the very least they could have thrown on her cover of numb and the excellent Itunes bonus Tripping over you to make it more of a worthwile, but still pretty pointless prospect. Lazy.

6. Beware

Beware Guest

I'd rather be with her friends, because they are apparently a whole lot 'fit-AH!'

7. I feel sorry for Jamelia. Zero thought was put into this release. I don't think there were actually any humans involved from conception to production. It's the work of robots.

8. Well if you do fancy it, you can pick it up for £7 on Berwick Street... They are flogging the Natalie Imbroogliwooglia album for £8, and that's only got 2 or 3 good songs on it - Jamelia's got loads!

9. I know I'm VERY behind the times, but I just had look at this on hmv.com. Eleven tracks on a GH package???!!! I quite like some of Jamelia's stuff (not enough to have ever bought a studio album though), but will not buy this piss-poor package on the strength of that alone.

10. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Oh so there are record stores left there!
    Is MrCD still open? Has CD City re-opened?
    Any new ones?

I guess they get them sold to them really cheap, as they are new to be 'stock' material labels wanna get rid of. Or stolen.

11. Are Parlophone even a real record company worthy of the name anymore? I mean apart from throwing money at Kylie and hoping she'll save them from oblivion, do they actually do anything?

Cheap back-catalogue raping is all very well, but most companies would surely have at least one stab at one good and well promoted Greatest Hits before churning out crap compilations every year. The difference in returns is surely enough to justify a little further effort and expense.

EMI should just shut them down and redistribute their artists to the other EMI companies. Kylie could have her own dedicated company; Bev could go on Relentless, etc etc. They've had their day.

12. vasilios

vasilios Guest

If you say so.

13. Kylie should have signed to Universal or Sony post Body Language. Let Parlo release 'Ultimate Kylie' with no new stuff, and save the wonderful Scissor Sister material for the new album.

mcuk likes this.
  14. Steve

Steve Guest

Parlophone never really seemed the right place for someone like Kylie - the majority of their other acts are 'serious' artists, or at least acts they can sell as being credible, who generally submit finished albums without much A&R assistance. Kylie is clearly happy with Miles Leonard picking hits for her; even this much-hailed 'personal' comeback is about half bought-in.

15. I wouldn't be too keen on her leaving EMI. It's usually better for the catalogue to stay in one place as much as possible. I agree that Sony and Universal do seem to be better for artists.

I do think alot of EMI's failures recently have been to do with Parlophone. Artists like Goldfrapp, K T Tunstall, Lily Allen etc. have done great with EMI in other companies.

16. I've always thought of Parlo as the 'pop' label of EMI. Hence Kylie, Jamelia, All Saints, Siobhan Donaghy, trying to make Beverly Knight a pop act etc. I thought that this is part of the reason for their recent struggles -as this style of music has lost so much popularity in recent years. The other part being that they are pretty shit. I dunno, I could have it all wrong -I usually have few facts to back up my sweeping statements.

17. Steve

Steve Guest

All Saints and Siobhan are fairly recent signings though, and again, with Siobhan, she reportedly handed in a finished album, rather than them steering the recrord. Their general roster is along the lines of Athlete, Babyshambles, The Bird & The Beem Blur, Coldplay, Dandy Warhols, Graham Coxon, Gorillaz, George Harrison, Norah Jones, PSB, Radiohead, Richard Ashcroft, etc. - Jamelia, Kylie and All Saints stick out. I'd class Beverley Knight as MOR soul R&B, as of late, and she, like Jamelia and All Saints, has credibility as an 'artist' rather than just a pop singer who has lasted a long time! Lily Allen is technically signed to Parlophone too, but she is under the Regal group, much the same as Norah Jones is under Blue Note.

18. MrCd is still there...even if in 1 floor only....Cd City closed it down...and you still have music exchange and all the not so poppy ones....

19. vasilios

vasilios Guest

I hate the not so poppy ones. Searching for hours for just a Jody Lei cdr. Hmph...

I know about MrCD's basement loss - that place was my wonderland! Scooch, Bellefire, V, Nicole Russo, Emma Holland barnd new for 2 pounds.
    Sniff.

Is Jamelia still outside the 75?
    Thank-you-album-first-release-itis has struck again!

20. Thanks for that. The more successful acts you mention all seem to have a somewhat independent relationship with Parlophone, as someone earlier mentioned, being independent in terms of A&R or even being under another imprint and therefore somewhat removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.