James Blake - Before | The Popjustice Forum

James Blake - Before

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by SpanishEyes, May 22, 2011.

1. I'm surprised there isn't a thread for him - all other Sound of 2011 artists have one.

Anyway, I'm not a fan and I'm not interested in any of his music (yet), but I stumbled across Lindisfarne and its video today, and I think it's quite good (if a little gross).

2. He's great! I accidentally discovered his music a couple of months ago, and it's really out-of-this-world. Not "amazing", in the Popjustice sense, but really, really great. His album feels like a man vs. laptop kind of affair, but he's got some real talent. My favourite is probably "The Wilhelm Scream".
    He's also very attractive. Don't kill me.

The "Lindisfarne" video is weird+amazing, but the best bit for me is that it's a completely new track now, mashing up the album tracks and adding some more elements. Good stuff.

3. Loved the "Lindisfarne" video, although "Limit To Your Love" is still his best song for me.

4. Oh no, he's gone America.

*Watches as Tumblr hipsters collectively fawn and fap over him*

5. I downloaded his album a few months back, really nice eerie stuff.

6. I just find him such a non-event.

I can usually appreciate experimentation but his music is just meh.

7. A little surprised to see this floating on the forum.

I don't love James Blake by any means. There's something about his music that doesn't completely click with me (although props to him for sampling Kelis and Aaliyah in the same song!). The Wilhelm Scream is an amazing song though, and he makes excellent study music.

8. Which song would that be?! I share a love for both of them.

9. That's his only great song (that he wrote), but I would throw him on a rug and piledrive him any day.

That is all.

10. As much as I like the album, I do love his non-album stuff (CMYK as linked before, and stuff like Sparing the Horses and his A Milli remix). It's just so gleefully odd and wonky.

11. Looks like it'll be worth me buying it finally!

12. I have to say, that looks quite tempting. I might finally get it.

13. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

I don't know how this trifling post just slipped by....

But whatever, they've been showing an extended ad at the store I work for in America, so I downloaded his album. It's interesting. I can't quite find another adjective at the moment.

Aidan likes this.
  14. RJF

RJF

The album is basically a fifty minute recording of all the noises your house makes when you're home alone at night that slowly drive into terror and insanity.

Beautiful Child 2 and Aidan like this.
  15. I kind of expect him to drop this post-dubstep label altogether and give us Limit To Your Love x12 on his next album. Which is not that bad, I like 'his' voice.

16. I like the production but don't like his songs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.