Janelle Monáe, Icon - Dirty Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest member

So... I experienced this album live last night and oh 'em gee if you miss this you will regret it for the rest of your life. The tour is deservedly getting rave reviews so far. Seriously, what a fucking lit show.

Was at the Brussels show...what an experience indeed. Everyone on the stage seemed to be so relaxed, united, and having such a good time, that they really channeled that emotion to the audience.

It's one of the few concerts I've been to that really felt like a big party with everyone in solidarity, rather than a bunch of heterogenoys people playing with their phones.

The absolute highlight was screwed. I know why she closed with Americans, even though it doesn't translate as well to a European crowd...but it really should have been Screwed. Also, don't know how much of it was staged, but the I got the juice dance off was LIT!

Screwed hasn't left my mind since I first heard it on release day.
I think that her not uploading all the individual videos on her YouTube channel is a great disservice to the songs. Not being able to share a YouTube link to Screwed is an injustice.

The absolute highlight was screwed. I know why she closed with Americans, even though it doesn't translate as well to a European crowd...but it really should have been Screwed. Also, don't know how much of it was staged, but the I got the juice dance off was LIT!
Speaking of which, I feel like the album is missing a call up in arms/come together kind of song right before Americans. In my head it feels a little bit like Lemonade without Formation, or perhaps without All Night.

Last edited:
Seeing her tonight in Manchester. Is there a support act?
The one in Paris was a DJ. She started playing while no one was paying attention. Nobody introduced her. We all looked at each other thinking "what is going on?" They rushed the end of her set, she pretty much stopped the music at the most unexpected moment because she didn't have a choice. I still have no idea what her name is. It's a shame because she was a great support act and everybody was dancing and having fun.

The concert was incredible though. Janelle's energy was unbelievable, I liked the fact that she played almost all of the tracks from "Dirty Computer" (except for "So Afraid") and a few oldies (the "Primetime"/"Purple Rain" mash-up was beautiful). The "I Got The Juice" segment of the show was a really fun moment (even though I truly suspected some of it to be staged but probably not...) and an highlight of the concert for me. And I agree with everyone here: "Screwed" live was a fucking moment!

G

Guest member

The support act for the Brussels show was DJ Fred. This was the schedule:

7 pm - doors - DJ set by DJ Fred
8.30 pm - Janelle Monáe
10.30 pm - end

I'm not sure if it's the same DJ for the other dates. They may have settled on a different (local?) DJ for each venue? Anyhow, I missed the DJ set but I thought the music that was being played before Janelle's set was amazing too. I'm pretty sure it was a playlist she has curated herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.