Janelle Monáe, Icon - Dirty Computer | Page 89 | The Popjustice Forum

Janelle Monáe, Icon - Dirty Computer

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by LE0Night, Feb 16, 2018.

1. You know what, I'd never considered this when I watched her excellent Glastonbury performance. I'd just thought that she was brilliant form start to finish but you are absolutely right, the camerawork elevated it and it was like watching it on DVD. And it really made me wish that I'd have seen her on tour this time round. The whole thing was incredible from start to finish.

2. I'm in awe, watching her Glastonbury set again...

3. Looks very promising but I swear you almost made me scream at my desk for making me think this was new music nn.

4. I am ALL IN. I can't even be mad that her acting projects will likely mean a longer wait for new music, because she's just so fucking good at it.

Tracy Jacks, Island, sesita and 3 others like this.
  5. My neighborhood cafe had this on this morning and it was probably the highlight of my day!

6. I’m still annoyed there was no DVD release of the accompanying film.

7. She snapped at the Oscars tonight

8. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Come Alive was made for the Oscars stage! Whew so happy for her.

9. She's such a phenomenal artist. I'm glad that little by little she's getting the recognition she deserves.

This link might work for people outside the US

FINISH LINE, Osiris, 2014 and 2 others like this.
  10. Opening with one of my favorite album cuts nearly a decade after release? Ugh the STAYING POWER The ArchAndroid has. Talentry!

Osiris, 2014, Subspace88 and 7 others like this.
  11. This week, post-Oscars I've been revisiting Dirty Computer and...

I think I officially stan. I've followed her since the glorious Many Moons video dropped (was it really over a decade ago?) and have always found her to be compelling but... distanced?

This week was like the week that "4" debuted and I found Beyonce to be so much more relatable than just admiring an unbelievably talented robot (Janelle irony unintended) - she is so great. And Prince would be proud high-key jealous of this album.

12. I can understand having that feeling. It's inevitable when she's been so guarded on her sexuality and private life, it inevitably affects all the instances in her life. That's why I'm so proud that she was able to open up so much with Dirty Computer, it's like she found a whole new voice as an artist.

moorje and kermit_the_frog like this.
  13. I'm preparing a rate that will feature The ArchAndroid, and I'm looking for someone to help me pick six songs to represent the album and who'd also be up for doing a write-up about it. If anyone's interested, please PM me!

14. but i'm another flavour, something like a terminator
    i was made to believe there's something wrong with me
    take me back to wondaland, i gotta get back to wondaland

QUIRKY POP RATE: THE DEBUTS

15. Love

is not a fantasy

it's more for you

you and me

[​IMG]

Happy anniversary to one of the best, most legendary, most iconic albums of all time.

[​IMG]

16. The best album of the 2010s and an utter masterpiece.

17. I was just about to post that myself! An absolute classic.

18. I was listening to this just yesterday, for the first time in forever. The timing! One of the fullest and most immersive albums I've ever listened to. An experience.

LE0Night, 2014, Crisp X and 4 others like this.
  19. I really do not think I was ready for this album 10 years ago. I loved the big singles but could not sink my teeth into the whole body of work cause I was a child looking for bops. Now going back and listening I am floored at how cohesive it is. You don't know a song as ended and a new song has begun because it just transitions so smoothly. And there are hooks for days. Janelle is a once in a lifetime talent and I am so excited to continue to watch her grow and explore creatively

LE0Night, FINISH LINE, 2014 and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.