Janelle Monáe, Icon - Dirty Computer | Page 90 | The Popjustice Forum

Janelle Monáe, Icon - Dirty Computer

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by LE0Night, Feb 16, 2018.

1. The transition between Dance or Die and Faster is such a fucking moment, it took my breath away the first time I heard it. I still can't decide whether Screwed into Django Jane outdoes it but no one knows their way around a segue like Janelle (cf. Violet Stars Happy Hunting into Many Moons)

2. I don't even know where to start when it comes to describing the impact this album had on me. Much like @Trouble in Paradise, it initially took me a while to revisit the album and properly love the more left-field songs. My early favorites were the more accessible Cold War, Wondaland, and Faster. Over the years, I've come back to the more experimental last third a little more.

There's a certain song that blew me away back then, and still does today... I can't believe she delivered a song like BaBopByeYa on her debut album. It's like a space opera packed into 9 minutes. I can't think of a debut that feels this complete.

Here's a live rendition of Cold War I must've watched hundreds of time in the past decade:

She doesn't get enough credit as a performer too.

3. Let me share this amazing write-up @godspeed did for The ArchAndroid, it definitely feels appropriate right now.

4. Shew y’all, this album was and is still something. I can’t event imagine what the follow up will be like.

Andrew.L and djmakemewet like this.
  5. Pretty legendary if you ask me

6. A classic. I remember the first time I listened to it I was totally impressed. The transitions, the unexpected details, the last songs on the album. It's like reading a book.

Btw a few days away from this

7. K94

K94

It really should be seen as a modern classic up there with the ones that are usually mentioned - not a single flaw. Had exactly everything you'd want, need, and expect from a Janelle career best.

8. I was so late to Janelle but I'm so glad I delved into her earlier albums after Dirty Computer. I remember having chills from hearing Wondaland, Mushrooms & Roses and Cold War for the first time. Ahhhhhhh.

LPT, K94, djmakemewet and 1 other person like this.
  9. I was so disgusted that her first Grammy win was for that awful FUN song and not Archandroid. I don't even think it got any nominations, which is insane to me. I guess because it wasn't commercially successful? I always loved the album but 'Sir Greendown' is the one I come back to the most. 'Cold War' seems more relevant now than even back then.

10. After watching the whole Emotional Picture to celebrate her anniversary, I delved into her wikipedia assuming she has been showered in Grammys and I. Am. Disgusted. The academy needs to get it together.

But why am I absolutely not surprised that a black queer woman is not being celebrated by the Grammys. Why do I keep expecting more from them like a toxic ex?

11. She didn't actually win a Grammy for the song with Fun. - the only award that We Are Young won was Song of the Year, which went to the songwriters (which did not include her). She's still yet to win a Grammy.

I suspect the issue for her with the Grammys is the lack of big commercially successful singles - being low-key is often enough to get a nomination, but a smash single is much more likely to win if it's in the category. Tightrope lost its Grammy nomination to CeeLo's Fuck You, which was a massive hit, but isn't as smart or interesting a song as Tightrope, and The ArchAndroid (the only album by a woman in the Best Contemporary R&B Album category that year) lost to Usher's Raymond v. Raymond, which again was more commercially successful.

I think the lack of nominations for Dirty Computer in the R&B categories is actually MORE egregious. She should have been picking up nominations like crazy and she didn't get anything apart from one for the ten-nomination Album of the Year category and a Best Music Video nomination for Pynk.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Petty Mayonnaise, GLC, Island and 6 others like this.
  12. Not music-related, but I'm one episode away from finishing Homecoming and I love Janelle in this. I recommend the show and even if you didn't watch S1, I think S2 will still make a lot of sense. Another great thing about this show is that the episodes are less than 25 minutes and there are only seven episodes!

londonrain and lushLuck like this.
  13. I was coming to post about it! Stunning cover.

2014, Crayons, Mikal and 24 others like this.
  14. She is the alpha... the omega... the one

15. Listening The Electric Lady at the moment. How would it feel to have three classic albums?.

16. Looks like Janelle is part of the Glastonbury archive weekend on the BBC. I'm guessing it's the set from last year? If so then I highly recommend it if you've not seen it. It's superbly filmed and Janelle is obviously incredible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.