Janet Jackson - Black Diamond (12th Album) | Page 149 | The Popjustice Forum

Janet Jackson - Black Diamond (12th Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Oh no.

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  2. Oh dear. Unfortunately this is a woman who lived in the UEA (I believe) on and off during her marriage and who has graced the cover of SA Harper’s Bizarre.

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  3. <3

4. If morally bankrupt Nicki Minaj turns a gig down, that should be enough to tell any possible replacements that it's not a good idea.

5. Release an album morally bankrupt mummy

LTG, _hazzie_, Music Is Life and 20 others like this.
  6. That’s Janet BR

7. Yeah, I realised my mistake but kept it for posterity.

Vasilios likes this.
  8. Like star like stan

9. I don't understand.
    I can usually forgive the poor decision to perform in somewhere like Saudi Arabia. I get if you live a fairly unexamined existence you might not realise the implications and just think 'oh well they're modernising it's a good thing :)'. You'll struggle to find a big pop girl that hasn't performed in some backwards country or, even worse, in a private concert for a dictator.

I just don't understand why, when another artist (who isn't exactly known for having the highest standards when it comes to social justice / human rights / etc) has pulled out due to human rights concerns - you jump at the chance to replace them? Like I highly doubt the $$ is worth the heat you're going to get in the press and the upset it's going to cause sections of your fanbase?

It adds insult to injury that her classic album tackles themes of gay rights & domestic violence - two hot button issues when it comes to Saudi Arabian government policy.

Music Is Life, LPT, MmmDani and 6 others like this.
  10. La Toya would never.

11. She probably would.

IDontKnowHer, LTG, _hazzie_ and 26 others like this.
  12. She makes the weirdest career choices for the past 10 years. Very self sabotaging.

13. I’m not registering anything besides this that I’d consider self sabotage or weird...

They’ve done a pretty great job at rebuilding her image and reintroducing her to the public.

Rei Ayanami and inevitable like this.
  14. I agree that they have indeed, because she was very out of touch with fans. And lately the public has been very receptive of her again, and her legacy. Not just fans, but the public embraced her again. Which is good and well deserved.

Still I feel like there were indeed a lot of weird things, and decisions that prevented her from flourishing even more to reach her fullest potential or re-connect with her audiences world wide. And several things that did set her back. I don't wanna type out of a list, because it will seem like I'm bitter, which I'm not. I love Janet, but I just scratch my head with a lot about decisions being made professionally. She seems so unaware sometimes. And this latest one doesn't surprise me at all. By the way I'm not even upset or anything about this particular thing about Saudi Arabia. I know her heart is in the right place. It's just another poor choice that i just don't get.

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  15. Clearly Rhythm Nation is just planning a coup from inside the country.

16. I'm used to being disappointed. I'm been wading in a sea of her bad decisions for the past 15 years. I don't know what's worse, the fact that she's doing it, or the fact that I'm not surprised. On the very superficial surface, I'm fucking tired of the years-long "State Of The US and any other place that will have me as long as the tickets are mostly already sold for other performers Tour." On a deeper level, I feel real disappointment not because I believe she is intentionally abandoning the ideals that she has always championed, but rather because I feel like she doesn't even get it. I don't think it even occurred to her. That cluelessness is almost worse, considering her past, than just taking a "problematic" gig for a paycheck.

17. In other news, I’m glad they finally officially announced these after they’ve been kicking around on retail sites for the past month

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.