Janet Jackson - Discipline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid that, after three flop albums with two record companies, we can't keep trotting out the line that Janet's PR people have messed up. She's not a helpless artist trapped by her record company - the burden of promotion lies with her and, since Velvet Rope, she doesn't seem that interested in getting out there and selling her wares.

Back then, she could rely on her profile to boost sales and stir up interest. Now, she needs to be plugging her records everywhere. Even Mariah stoops to appearing on crud like The Friday Night Project. Janet, who is way behind in terms of public perception and sales, needs to get out there and do some work.

S

someboy0716

The blame lies on Janet and her people. She performs well when she's asked to, but it's not her job to call up television shows and book her own appearances, but you're right, perhaps she should! Madonna would!

someboy0716 said:
it's not her job to call up television shows and book her own appearances

It's not... but I think she actively turns down requests when she should be out pressing the flesh and smiling for the cameras.

mrdiscopop said:
someboy0716 said:
it's not her job to call up television shows and book her own appearances

It's not... but I think she actively turns down requests when she should be out pressing the flesh and smiling for the cameras.

I agree. I get the impression she can't really be arsed anymore, which is not good news for the fans she has left, not to mention Island Def Jam who signed her only last year.

At this point, she really needs to release (and promote the hell out of) a song that will demand people's attention. Can't B Good is not that song.

The opening line from the song is as follows: "I cant believe I let this happen to me". And as much as I would love to blame everyone else (the record company, her manager, her producers, even the fickle public!), the sad fact is that she's just not that bothered anymore. At least we got two whole decades of solid music from her, which is WAY more than you can say for most artists.

Sadly, Can't B Good is a bored, tired, lifeless song that sounds like any number of her previous ballads (that said, I dont think theres a single decent ballad on the album, so she should have stuck to the uptempo tracks!).

"Can't B Good" it's a wrong, wrong single choice. What are they thinking? It seems like they want to fuck up on propose. I gave up on this project already. :'( I don't know who is the one to blame, but... they fucked up.

S

someboy0716

Unless the video features Janet offing random strangers in a weird Dr. Jeklyl/Mr. Hyde sort of concept, no is ever going to care. Why Janet, why?!

It's a good album track, definitely not a single. So Much Betta would generate more interest, and god knows, this album needs just that [and of course a better promotional plan].

S

someboy0716

So Much Betta? I mean, I can see why fans and pop fans might like it, but I never see it connecting with a broad audience. LUV or Greatest X, plain and simple.

Pelican08 said:
David_X said:
Title says it all.
God if one more person makes this joke I might vomit, I 've heard it about 10 times on here, its not funny and its not clever.
You should probably get used to it because it probably is going to keep happening, and if the press has any interest in Janet/this single they'll make the joke too. A classic example of needing to think a bit better about the name of the song, or at least, some of the lyrics. Oops.

paul lekakis said:
i guess they didn't want to release "greatest x" because people would then realize that mariah's "i stay in love" is a blatant rip-off

Greatest X was hardly a work of staggering originality in the first place, was it?

So Much Betta would be a bad choice too - Janet's barely on it! I think Luv or Rollercoaster are about the only songs that could revive interest at this point.

S

someboy0716

I've had Black Cat on repeat all day, she should just re-master it and release it again! It's an actual testament to her talent, and even blows a great song like Feedback out of the water.

Ray said:
This picture was definitely taken when she found out about the first week sales in Europe and UK. "Can't be good", she sighed.
lol!!!
im actually shocked by the amount of clothes she has on there... thats one gorgeous subtle photo of jan!

I love the album but if Feedback couldn't be a hit then they are a bit screwed for the rest of it. I honestly think it was her name on the song that stalled Feedback. Radio doesn't seem to want to touch her in the U.S. It's wierd that it did so well in Ireland. Radio loved it and it broke the bottom end of the top 40 on downloads and hung around for awhile. I don't get why radio/the general public took to it here but not in the UK.

http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/15708

80s pop star Janet Jackson has a new reality show scheduled to launch this fall that will showcase the pop star as a mentor while a group of aspiring singers and dancers compete for an undisclosed prize.

According to Variety, the untitled show on 25/7 Productions for MTV will begin filming this summer, as Jackson gets ready to go on tour September 10th. Although details are scarce, executive producer Dave Broome hints at the show searching for the next big star.

"It's really about finding who's the next Janet Jackson or Justin Timberlake or Usher. And we'll find it from a pool of people who you wouldn't typically find them from," he said. "We'll go to YMCAs, church groups, local community centers and try to cast the show."

Rather than the typical set-up of shows like Diddy's Making The Band series, the program is expected to take place in various street locales instead of soundstages, with a possibility of even occurring during Jackson's world tour.

The desperate singer has also kept busy by preparing her upcoming book based on how she has maintained her weight and looks to provide inspiration to both men and women alike.

Jackson is the latest to join forces with MTV for a reality series. Atlanta rapper T.I. has been tagged along to the network to show how he has been spending his time on house arrest while 50 Cent looks to challenge 16 individuals on business savvy skills.

Ooh, it could be called Totally Janet Jackson and be about Janet's attempts to get a single in the top 10.

Touch me, I'm electric!

Status
Not open for further replies.