Janet Jackson - Discipline

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

debord

aqualuna said:
Janet probably thinks England is just another State in America it's been that long since she's been here.

Janet is probably so dumb she doesn't realise that there are 3 other countries in the UK besides England.

Oh wait....

debord said:
mutya1 said:
It was actually Janet who claimed she was "sick" and Mariah did it in her place... rumour has it that the rift started between Def Jam and Janet over the second single - apparently Def Jam wanted Rock With You and Janet wanted Luv.

Honestly, I'm just starting to think Janet is a pain in the ass to work with.

Well if that's true then Janet was completely right. Done properly 'Luv' would have been massive. 'Rock Wit You' was never going to take off in America.

And we all know how good Def Jam have been at picking singles for their top female acts lately don't we?

P

paul lekakis

She had a press conference in Germany during the "20 Y.O." era.
Did bugger all to help sell the thing, but at least she put some effort into being here and let her fans feel her presence...

A little off-topic but I was listening to Control yesterday and it's really good. I know the production is very eighties but it's so catchy.

P

paul lekakis

It's such a liberating album. I read that Janet broke away from her father's establishment, her parents said she could do what she wants but shouldn't release a record that sounds like Prince. But it exactly does sounds like his Minneapolis sound. What a nice way of saying "Screw You, I'm doing my own thang!"

I thought it was odd that right after Control/Rhythm Nation setting the template for 90's New Jackswing, her bigger and more famous brother came up with "Dangerous" which was copying trends set by his little sister...

slimane said:

Singing about sex makes you a 'whore'? Lovely.

no, but you need some light & shade AND some TUNES. On "In the zone" Britney had the grubby "Touch of my hand" but she also had a couple of songs called "Toxic" and "Everytime" for example.
[/quote]

Are you forgetting about the lyrical fuckfest that was "Blackout"?

A

Aamyko

debord said:
I second the opinion that 'Discipline' was her best work in about 10 years. Whatever has went wrong with Janet I don't think the material is to blame.
I totally agree.. The question is, if the material isn't to blame, then
what exactly is the problem. I know , that this might be annoying but is
still cos of the nip?

P

paul lekakis

Aamyko said:
debord said:
I second the opinion that 'Discipline' was her best work in about 10 years. Whatever has went wrong with Janet I don't think the material is to blame.
still cos of the nip?

"Feedback" is her highest charting single since "Someone to Call My Lover" (2001). Radio forgot it, MTV forgot it and the people accept it.

It was a collision between unwillingness on Island's side to co-operate with Janet's wishes, the fact that there was basically no support from the label when it came to promotion. ('Can't B Good' didn't get a video, and after the Rihanna thing came up it's safe to assume Island didn't wanna pay for a video and Janet didn't want to do that from her own money)

Aamyko said:
debord said:
still cos of the nip?

To be honest, I think the nip incident has damaged her career.

I dont think people still hold it against her, especially not in the UK, BUT.... I do think that because radio, mtv etc.. turned against her, she has in a way been forgotten, I mean people know who she is, but her records just aent being played, and `Feedback` CANNOT have been played becuase its `bad` beciase I think had that been a Rihanna, Beyonce, or even Amerie!! song, it would have gone top 10... if not higher.

So... yeh, not the actual, nip, but what happend after the nip.

I WANT A TOUR FROM THIS WOMAN IN ENGLAND SOOOO BAD!

I think Janet can have a hit again if she returns to what made her awesome in the first place. Her "sex freak" act is very old, people know she can do better than that.

slimane said:
ENOUGH with the SEX GRANDMA.

note

"All for you" - I am a whore

"2.0 yr" - I am aging whore i've still got it though remember the old days

"Dignity" - I am a robot whore

ETC

Feedback - ''I'm a really big slutty whorebag''.

And perhaps Madonna should take note of the first bit of the quote.

It's a shame that she's left Def Jam as I really enjoyed the direction she went in with Discipline (Feedback, despite it being her being slutty again, was absolutely amazing!). Although, tbh I'm not that suprised she's left- as she did hint she was unhappy a few months back.

D

debord

Anyone who ever resorts to using words like 'slut' and 'whore' to talk about a female pop star is a tad SIMPLE. And that's being charitable.

paul lekakis said:
Rihanna is broke, Janet released herself from a contract, Mimi's album campaign was fucked...

I don't know, after "LaFace Records" went into the gutter and left Toni Braxton and TLC with nothing but debts, it seems like the source of evil must be Island/DefJam chairman L.A. Reid...

rihanna is not broke. her business managers are two men.

listen to rihanna's interview: http://www.2dayfm.com.au/shows/kyleandjackieo/listen/guests

LaFace records is still around, look at Pink and Usher.

P

paul lekakis

debord said:
Anyone who ever resorts to using words like 'slut' and 'whore' to talk about a female pop star is a tad SIMPLE. And that's being charitable.

The P.C. Police has arrived.
I use those words for both male and female Popstars and myself, but do not have negative connotations attached to it. Justin's a total whore for example. To refrain from doing so, because you think it does a disservice to 200 years of emancipation is a bit too much...

And this is to those who think she should stop the S.E.X..
She likes to flaunt her pussy and I love it. Everyone's a ho'bag to some extent. If people think that's a bad thing, it's more to do with years of manipulation by our very own society. Embrace it, don't condemn it.

D

debord

paul lekakis said:
debord said:

The P.C. Police has arrived.
I use those words for both male and female Popstars and myself, but do not have negative connotations attached to it. Justin's a total whore for example. To refrain from doing so, because you think it does a disservice to 200 years of emancipation is a bit too much...

And this is to those who think she should stop the S.E.X..
She likes to flaunt her pussy and I love it. Everyone's a ho'bag to some extent. If people think that's a bad thing, it's more to do with years of manipulation by our very own society. Embrace it, don't condemn it.

Two things you can be certain of when you attack someone for using vile, misogynist language:
1 - They will accuse you of being 'politically correct' (what does that even MEAN? If I had a problem with you calling someone a racial slur I guess I'd be 'politically correct' as well)
2 - They'll say 'BUT I USE IT ABOUT MEN TOO!'. Well newsflash - saying Justin Timberlake is a whore does not REMOTELY have the same connotations as saying Janet Jackson is a whore. If you can't get your head around that then that's your own problem.

And that's answering YOUR points and ignoring the fact that the use which I was responding to was pretty blatantly horribly misogynistic, so why you feel the need to defend it I do not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.