Janet Jackson - General Discussion | Page 477 | The Popjustice Forum

Janet Jackson - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Ordon, Jul 18, 2007.

1. janet. will always be my favourite record, but Velvet Rope is such a close second.

beautifulmorning likes this.
  2. Control, Rhythm Nation, janet., then The Velvet Rope is such an amazing run of albums.
    I think I love them all equally, but I love 80s Janet a little more than 90s Janet. But only just.

beautifulmorning and DiscoIgor07 like this.
  3. Control
    janet.
    Rhythm Nation 1814
    Velvet Rope

huntypoo likes this.
  4. She had also been at the top of her game for 3 consecutive albums, which were pretty far apart, so her imperial era was like 86-94 at least. That's a long time. It's natural that there would be a drop-off at some point so at least she can say it wasn't about the quality of Velvet Rope.

5. It was more that the pop boom was in full swing and that Velvet Rope just didn't have the radio smashes her previous albums did.

Jacques and Sick Sad World like this.
  6. It's a shame that I have only liked a handful of songs from each album since.
    Damita Jo is the only post 'imperial phase' album that I kind of like, but feels a bit lacking in Janet energy.

beautifulmorning likes this.
  7. 1. The Velvet Rope
    2. Rhythm Nation
    3. Control
    4. janet.

janet. is just a bit too frontloaded, putting all the bops on the front of the album makes the back half a bit of a chore to listen to.

No hay banda likes this.
  8. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Velvet Rope is without doubt her best album. Whew the GP just weren't prepared!

9. https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/the-deification-of-des-ree-1.180704

10. The video and the mellow mix were worth it tho

beautifulmorning and LPT like this.
  11. Got Til It’s Gone would’ve gone top 10 in the U.S. had it seen a commercial release, possibly top 5. The rules at the time did not allow it to chart. Shame as it was definitely a radio hit.

12. Got Till It's Gone, is a just perfect I think.

13. I never understood why Got Til it's Gone wasn't released commercially. Was it simply to boost sales of the album?

I loved the single cover.

upload_2020-1-5_14-37-57.jpeg

14. It's Janet Top 3 for me, I never said it's not good?

Staticboombox likes this.
  15. Me too, one of her best single sleeves.

16. Got 'Til It's Gone is one of my favourite songs of all time. It's extraordinary. Oh, and the music video is perfection.

Crisp X, Mikal, LPT and 6 others like this.
  17. Still sounds fresh even now.

Sleepycat and No hay banda like this.
  18. It has aged incredibly, what other song from that year sounds as modern?

19. aux

aux

xx

Mr.Arroz, Crisp X, LPT and 14 others like this.
  20. I still remember watching her first appearance at the VMAs coinciding with the video premiere. It was such a brilliant WTF moment. So unexpected like her three previous releases. A total 180.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.