Janet Jackson - General Discussion | Page 517 | The Popjustice Forum

Janet Jackson - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Ordon, Jul 18, 2007.

1. I actually like the released “Just A Little While” but they missed the boat in releasing this as a “remix”
    YES! I always loved this single the most from All For You. Wish an uncensored version of the single mix existed.

LPT likes this.
  2. Yeah, I’m not sure why they released the single mix with Janet’s part uncensored but Missy’s part censored.

V3RYP05H likes this.
  3. The uptempos on Discipline are all good if a bit basic and faceless, it’s the ballads and slow jams that drag the whole album down.

4. LTG

LTG

I think they added the Rhythm Nation maxi singles for the anniversary last year, then the rest since. Madonna does need to stop with the drip releasing of hers.

Andrew.L, nikkysan and Mr Blonde like this.
  5. A little late with this but did anyone see Alanis Morissette talking about how she's obsessed with Janet and how much she inspired her?

Morissette also gushed over Janet Jackson.

“I have been obsessed with Janet Jackson for as long as I can remember,” she shared. “I remember having gone to see her perform when I was 15 in Toronto, and there was something about having watched her perform that day that just kind of put a spell on me, and I think I was with my manager at the time.”

“I remember turning to him and saying… basically said something along the lines of, ‘I now am very clear about what I want to do with my life,'” she concluded.

https://etcanada.com/news/694744/al...f-tegan-and-sara-obsessed-with-janet-jackson/

TRAVVV, V3RYP05H, nametag and 5 others like this.
  6. Sufjan Stevens:

You’ve cited Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation 1814 as an influence on this record — what is it about that album, in particular?

I think it's probably because it's one of the first big pop records that I got attached to in the eighties and entered my consciousness where I was finally starting to develop my own taste in pop music. It's been there since I was like 10 or 12 years old. I love that it has a mix of like explicitly political songs and then these really fun love songs. Then it's sort of interjecting all this communication about the state of the world during the eighties. It's always fun though. It never loses that original intent.

https://www.thefader.com/2020/09/25/sufjan-stevens-the-ascension-interview-2020-asthmatic-kitty

BrokenHearts, Island, TRAVVV and 5 others like this.
  7. It's a shame Sufjan's album is nowhere near as fun as Rhythm Nation.

8. Hey, I was thinking of doing this post on the 2nd but I then forgot about it oop. Unbreakable turned 5 a few days back.

It's hard to put into words how much this album means to me. It was my introduction to Janet and, despite having deeply explored her discography since, it remains my favorite. This might make me biased, but I truly think this is on par with the legendary Control - The Velvet Rope run... which I hope isn't too much of a hot take nn. I'd be curious to hear how my opinion differs from long time fans.

I really can't think of one single flaw... okay maybe No Sleeep didn't need J. Cole's lethargic verse. It's sequenced so well, feeling like a journey much like her best albums all do. When she's on, she's truly on isn't it? I'm grateful for it being my first real taste of such an important artist's work.

I talked about it a bit more about its impact on me on the Ultimate Album Justice rate earlier this year as it was my 9 pointer. I also gave Dammn Baby 14 points on its song counterpart.

I'll just leave you with two of my favorite album cuts.

An era.

9. I am very crazed out over Cathy Dennis randomly saying she wrote Toxic with Janet in mind. I can absolutely hear her singing it.

10. I don’t think this is a reach at all, Unbreakable is as good as those albums. It didn’t have the cultural or social impact that something like Rhythm Nation did, but fan impact felt significant.

11. Unbreakable completely restored faith in her as a recording artist. And I don’t think that’s ridiculous to say.

Island, Burzum, Euphoria and 13 others like this.
  12. I had never lost faith in her though, and I'm not saying that in a "fake fans" sort of way. Yes, 20 YO and Discipline were occasionally underwhelming but those were very special circumstances. Like Mariah, Janet doesn't have a bad album (well, except those first two ones but we don't talk about those).

13. Here for this Unbreakable praise! It's my second favorite album of hers behind The Velvet Rope. Warm, lush, mature, introspective, vulnerable, honest, varied, full of hooks, and expertly produced. Spinning the Eyes Closed vinyl on a blustery fall day = heaven.

djmakemewet and Crisp X like this.
  14. I'm currently on a Janet binge, listening to all her albums in order. Unbreakable is up next so I'm excited to dive back into it again.

mcuk, Crisp X, 2014 and 3 others like this.
  15. Fixed that for you!

BreatheBox, mcuk, Fuchsia and 2 others like this.
  16. You know I thought about it!

djmakemewet likes this.
  17. Unbreakable is incredible and an absolute return to form after the disappointing Damita Jo, 20 YO and Discipline run. Saying that, Discipline has grown on me immensely these days.

The only thing I don't like about Unbreakable is BURNITUP. It's a great song but something about the production sounds really tinny to me, especially compared to the richness of the rest of the album.

Dave likes this.
  18. Damita Jo slander... can’t compute

19. Fans need to stop grouping Damita Jo in with the two albums that came after. It's a great album.

Dangerous Maknae and AbSynth like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.