Janet Jackson singles rate

I

invertedbutterfly

So at the end of the Madonna singles rate thread I threatened that I was going to try my hand at one of these. Because I like the lists... I was in a bit of a quandary as to the artist - Madonna, Kylie and Britney are the obvious contenders who people on these boards might be interested in. And I wanted someone with a decent amount of singles. So I've decided on Janet. If there's no interest, I will quietly retire to a dark room and we can all move on with our lives...

I've fudged a bit with what songs to include. I wanted a round number (well, a mulitple of five anyway). And 55 seemed attractive as it is half way between the numbers in the Madonna and Kylie rates. Which means I've included things that some (most) people may never have heard (of). But I like the first album, goddamn it, and it has three singles at least as good as most of the post-Velvet Rope stuff. So I've included every UK and US single regardless of whether or not it charted, plus any others that were released in two or more major territories. Plus all the collaborative singles that feel (to me) like proper duets, not just worthy of a featured credit. In any case, we could procrastinate forever with these things about what should, and should not, be included, so I've just tried to make logical decisions throughout.

On to the songs! Please rate each one out of ten (whole numbers only, please), and PM me your list. Then I shall - well, you know the drill by now.

YOUNG LOVE
COME GIVE YOUR LOVE TO ME
DON'T MESS UP THIS GOOD THING
SAY YOU DO
TWO TO THE POWER OF LOVE
FAST GIRLS
DON'T STAND ANOTHER CHANCE
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY
NASTY
WHEN I THINK OF YOU
CONTROL
LET'S WAIT AWHILE
THE PLEASURE PRINCIPLE
FUNNY HOW TIME FLIES
DIAMONDS
MISS YOU MUCH
RHYTHM NATION
ESCAPADE
ALRIGHT
COME BACK TO ME
BLACK CAT
LOVE WILL NEVER DO
STATE OF THE WORLD
THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE
THAT'S THE WAY LOVE GOES
IF
AGAIN
BECAUSE OF LOVE
ANY TIME ANY PLACE
YOU WANT THIS
WHOOPS NOW
WHAT'LL I DO
SCREAM
RUNAWAY
TWENTY FOREPLAY
GOT TILL IT'S GONE
TOGETHER AGAIN
I GET LONELY
GO DEEP
EVERY TIME
DOESN'T REALLY MATTER
ALL FOR YOU
SOMEONE TO CALL MY LOVER
SON OF A GUN
JUST A LITTLE WHILE
ALL NITE (DON'T STOP)
I WANT YOU
CALL ON ME
SO EXCITED
WITH U
FEEDBACK
ROCK WITH U
LUV
MAKE ME
NOTHING

I

invertedbutterfly

The first one in gives my favourite Janet song a 10.

Carry on like this, please...

I would love to vote in this as I used to be a big janet fan but there are too many songs I don't know there (the first 7 on the list and the last 8 minus Feedback).

I

invertedbutterfly

Cowboystyle said:
I would love to vote in this as I used to be a big janet fan but there are too many songs I don't know there (the first 7 on the list and the last 8 minus Feedback).
If you'd rather not waste your life finding those songs on youtube (and frankly if you never hear the Cliff Richard duet, your life will be better for it), you'd be more than welcome to just vote for the ones you know. If certain tracks don't get many votes, I won't include them in the eventual tally.

I

invertedbutterfly

There hasn't been much in the way of reponse to this, so unless I get a big rush of replies in the next few days, I shall let this die a death.

I will vote but similarly there are some I have never even heard. Perhaps cutting out everything pre- What Have You Done may have encouraged more voting?

It still leaves a few lesser known ones from recent years but they would certainly be in the minority.

I

invertedbutterfly

phoenix123 said:
I will vote but similarly there are some I have never even heard. Perhaps cutting out everything pre- What Have You Done may have encouraged more voting?
Yes, you're clearly right, but I was adamant I must convince the world of the brilliance of Young Love and Come Give Your Love To Me. Obviously the world wasn't ready for this.

M

moorje

Young Love is brilliant. I first discovered it on the second disc of Design of A Decade.
You forgot to include 'You' in the list.

And whilst she has done many collaborations I think we can all agree that What's It Gonna Be? with Busta Rhymes is the best one.

Who the fuck thought a Cliff duet was a good idea? How old was she then? 16, 17? They should duet on 'moist' or something now. I doubt she even met him, was there a video?

M

moorje

letuinmybackdoor said:
Who the fuck thought a Cliff duet was a good idea? How old was she then? 16, 17? They should duet on 'moist' or something now. I doubt she even met him, was there a video?

Amazing!

Janet's run of singles from the Control/Rhythm Nation/Janet albums is pretty flawless but like a lot of people I just lost interest over the last few years, to the extent that I really wasn't able to vote in this because I know so few of her singles after All For You (and pre-Control for that matter). The crazy thing is I have all her albums on my iTunes but have never made the time to listen to them.

Would you like peope to vote on the singles they know and love? Maybe give n/a to the others? It would be a shame not to do this.

I

invertedbutterfly

Call It Love said:
Would you like peope to vote on the singles they know and love? Maybe give n/a to the others? It would be a shame not to do this.
That would be a good idea.

letuinmybackdoor said:
Uh... Dream Street was 1984 so she'd have been 17/18, yes. And he'd have been in his mid-forties. Because that's not at all weird. Don't think there was a video - it was only released in the UK (and Holland, I think), I presume because of Cliff.
moorje said:
You forgot to include 'You' in the list.
I didn't include You as it was only commercially released in Japan, and my completely arbitrary criteria was that it either had to be released in the UK or US, or at least two other places. Because I like random rules. I am such a nerd...

Cool, I will work out my scores and get them to you ASAP.

Looking at Design Of A Decade and The Best on my iTunes remnds me how much I used to love Janet. Would you recommend any of her recent stuff (basically the last decade!) as being particularly worth checking out?

I

invertedbutterfly

Call It Love said:
Looking at Design Of A Decade and The Best on my iTunes remnds me how much I used to love Janet. Would you recommend any of her recent stuff (basically the last decade!) as being particularly worth checking out?
The sad answer to that question is not really (in my opinion, at any rate). Damita Jo is genuinely terrible; 20 Y.O. is better than popular opinion would have you believe, but still not particularly good; and Discipline, while clearly an improvement, is generic (although if you in any way like autotuned dance/pop/r&b with shiny surfaces, if not a great deal of substance, you could do worse). For me, the central problem with the last decade of material (and frankly at least half of All For You was guilty of this too) is a lack of distinctive, memorable tunes, and the restriction of lyrical subject matter to only one topic (she might as well just call her next album Vagina Monologues, and have it entirely made up of squelchy noises).

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. I've got the All For You and Discipline albums and haven't even listened to them. It's amazing how someone responsible for such amazing tunes as Nasty, Rhythm Nation, Love Will Never Do (Without You), Miss You Much, If, Again, All For You and so many others descended into such tuneless r'n'b drivel.

I refuse to believe Nipplegate alone killed her career! What happened to the amazing pop songs and why did no-one ever have a word with her? Too many "interludes" too...

i don't know why but I completely lost all interest after the All For You single (which did well in the UK didn't it get to #3?).

I got the album but not sure I managed to get all the way through it. SUCH a drop in quality from The Velevet Rope.

Having practically ignored everything since then i LOVED Feedback and Rock With U, they seemed more like classic Janet to me it even prompted me to get the album and even kept my interest for the last 2 singles.