Jeffo presents PJ Retro 83: On Different Wavelengths | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Jeffo presents PJ Retro 83: On Different Wavelengths

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Jeffo, Nov 19, 2022.

?

Favorite color of visible light?

1. Red

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Orange

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Yellow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Green

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Blue

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  6. Indigo

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  7. Violet

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Were you even alive in the 80s though? Ddd.

I can't speak for other countries, but Australian radio (at least in my state) was bad in the 80s. "Classic rock" was the mantra. Anything dance or girly pop was not played outside of top 40 countdowns and supposedly-voted-for-by-listeners shows aimed at teenagers.

2. Drag my barely eligible PJ Retro self a bitsy ff

Okay the second half of the list definitely brings diversity and better songs, I have only 5 entries left to hear and I think nine songs are shortlisted for points.

Untouchable Ace and berserkboi like this.
  3. On adult contemporary? Soft rock and power ballads, maybe, but I'm having a hard time imagining that format playing something like, say, Led Zeppelin. That's what AOR was for.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  4. The most popular FM stations in Melbourne were wall to wall Cold Chisel, Jimmy Barnes, Australian Crawl, Dragon (all local acts who had minimal/no international success). New music they added in the early 90s was stuff like Baby Animals and Diesel (guitar-based rock).

One station even had an ad where they played Ace of Base's 'All That She Wants' as an example of bad music other stations play when there was a shift in late '94/early '95 to actually play some current chart/dance pop stuff. Seriously.

'Put Yourself In My Place' was the first Kylie single that got heavy airplay here, for example; 7 years into her career.

5. Were these AC stations though? Because that's the format @Maki specified.

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  6. AC, to me, is a very US thing. 'Easy listening' would be the more-Australian term. No, these were the main/biggest stations.

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  7. Me listening to the Spotify playlist:

Track 5 comes on, and I'm like... thank god, at last a male vocal!

Then I look at the artist name and see it's... Denise. ddd.

Isobel, soratami, Maki and 2 others like this.
  8. I've listened to half of the Spotify playlist...

There's not a whole lot I'm loving so far.

Maki and Untouchable Ace like this.
  9. There's not much I love this round, but I've found enough to like.

I really wonder what some of these themes were. I'm guessing one of them (that two people got) had something to do with the word "serious?"

Untouchable Ace, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  10. I have you covered with an @Isobel banger next round (which should fit most themes unless Nathan wins and does English only again fff) <333

11. I noticed there were only 2 non-English language titles this round, so it's like it was a surrogate 'Nathan' round anyway ddd.

That being said, I think with the recent restrictive rounds, in the unlikely event that I win this one, I may go open!

If You Go, soratami, Maki and 2 others like this.
  12. Well... I've voted.

[​IMG]

13. Did you guess my entry this time, and how many points did I get?

Phonetics Girl, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  14. [​IMG]

15. I haven't even started listening yet

[​IMG]

16. I'm half-way through... and have been for about 3 days ddd.

17. I was actually going to point out that there are no entries that are linked to your YouTube channels uploads, which is definitely a rarity in this contest.

This round is pretty good but there aren't many standouts, so I ended up with only 5 honourable mentions. My top 10 is very strong though. Team FL brought it as per usual, though I didn't vote for all of these entries. And this is one of those times where I surely wasn't struggling to arrange the order of the songs - probably why I voted so early.
    Speaking of which, the deadline is on 28th?? It's going to feel like an eternity to me dd, at least we have other contest's song lists coming very soon.

18. Has there ever been a song contest where the host had all the entries early & just did reveals before the deadline?

19. It could've been before Christmas... but the songlist wasn't ready until five days after the submission deadline so that set things back. And setting the deadline right before/on/right after Christmas was not going to end well for some folks. At least it'll be done before the new year.

20. Well, if even @Maki already voted - this might be the one ffff

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.