Jennifer Lopez - This Is Me… Now

I didn’t realize how much of a JLO stan I was until this all brewed up again. People making fun of her bodega order? Sir, JLO is 54 years old. She was ordering stuff in the bodega in the 1980’s. It’s not the same as it is now. Grow up.

People out here calling her talentless and she owes her career to others? She’s one of the best performers we have ever had, she can sing decently (she’s not Selena Gomez levels atrocious) and let’s not act like she didn’t have a chokehold on the public for many years putting herself in the running as the Romcom queen. Wedding Planner, Maid in Manhattan, Monster in Law and I’d even argue Back Up Plan are all in the romcom pantheons. She’s shown she’s a gifted actress in Selena (how she wasn’t nominated for an Oscar for this I’ll never understand), Out of Sight, The Cell and most recently Hustlers (again, Oscar?!).

I get clowning her for her recent endeavors making an album, film and documentary all about her relationship with Ben but even that I can defend. She spent years being made fun of for going through husbands and being compared to Elizabeth Taylor. She found her way back to the man she considers her soulmate and I find it wonderfully poetic that they got a second chance without the media scrutiny this time around.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

This isn't limited to Jennifer, but the way people look down their noses at Rom Coms and actresses/actors who made their name doing lots of them really irks me. It's not easy to be funny, (just look at any social media account or any number of members here) and to play a character who you want to root for and see excel at life. These movies may not have the sweeping stories or cutting edge direction of some other movies but it still takes a lot of work to make them work. Look at all the failed examples of the genre. I've seen a lot of comments lately on various formats about how Jennifer can't be a good actress because "all she does is rom coms" which ignores what I've just said and also is factually wrong when she's done way more dramatic roles than comedic ones. (Justice for Enough and Angel Eyes)
There's a reason why these movies used to do big bucks at the box office, and not all of it was down to the lead actress. Hell we're seeing a kind of revival of the genre lately with movies like Anyone But You. People like a breezy movie about two people's awkward journey to a happy ever after.

Unfortunately she is just easy fodder right now for the TikTok generation. They do a video on her, they get 500k views in 4 days. It's pretty pathetic. Just goes to show that there are people out there who shouldn't be allowed to use social media. People who are lazy and will do the bare minimum in order to get views, likes and followers.

I just hope once the tour starts that it's successful and will shut a lot of these people up and force them to get jobs and do something meaningful with their lives.

Had a little deep dive on the J.LO album. I find it interesting to see how she was pretty much stratospheric at the time, but there must have been concern when the singles (Love Don't Cost A Thing aside) weren't performing well in the US (Play 18, Ain't It Funny not charting).

I think the label must have realised the trend was moving away from the big pop sound, and switched gears to the more R&B/Hip Hop leaning sounds that were taking over at the time (with the help of Tommy Mattola...but let's not go there...). I'm Real (Remix), Ain't It Funny (Remix) and the J-to-tha-LO album really swung it around for her.

It would have been interesting to see how things would have turned out for her if they didn't pivot.

And a little bonus track rarity that I love...

Had a little deep dive on the J.LO album. I find it interesting to see how she was pretty much stratospheric at the time, but there must have been concern when the singles (Love Don't Cost A Thing aside) weren't performing well in the US (Play 18, Ain't It Funny not charting).

I think the label must have realised the trend was moving away from the big pop sound, and switched gears to the more R&B/Hip Hop leaning sounds that were taking over at the time (with the help of Tommy Mattola...but let's not go there...). I'm Real (Remix), Ain't It Funny (Remix) and the J-to-tha-LO album really swung it around for her.

It would have been interesting to see how things would have turned out for her if they didn't pivot.

And a little bonus track rarity that I love...

Let's not forget this masterpiece too. Even though it was remixed it felt like coming full circle back to the JLo album campaign because it was closer to the original than I'm Real and Ain't That Funny were.

Let's not forget this masterpiece too. Even though it was remixed it felt like coming full circle back to the JLo album campaign because it was closer to the original than I'm Real and Ain't That Funny were.

The fact that this would have had 50 Cent on rather than Nas if the label hadn’t dropped him. About a year before he blew up with In Da Club.