Jennifer Lopez - This Is Me… Now

Honestly this movie could get rave reviews and be a major hit and people would still tear her down and spread rumours. At this point it’s just sad and pathetic how people relish in this behaviour and her a kick out of seeing a woman be torn down and on doing said tearing down.
If this is how you find entertainment then maybe invest in some therapy.

She/Her
I don't think any of this backlash really matters. I'd say more of her projects have missed than hit over the past twenty-five years, but you can't keep this woman down. She's just going to continue working and public perception will soften again eventually. Her ability to power through negativity in both her personal and professional lives is impressive, really.

The backlash against Jennifer this year seems to be from people who have never liked her or ever will. It does bother me how some folks are making up stories about her and her career and then spreading them all over, which leads to more people regurgitating this misinformation and continuing its spread. Say what you want about her movie, but it performed and reviewed well. It wasn’t this epic failure that people would have you believe.

Oh, well. I'm still a fan, and I can't wait to see her in August.

Glad to hear that the tour is doing well though. I was under the impression it was completely bombing.

Atlas looks nice, but if it's anything less than the literal greatest movie of all time, I'm sure people will tear it down (most without having seen it). It seems as if every year the internet picks a female star to absolutely dump on, and in 2024 it's Jlo for some reason.
A lot of the backlash on TikTok is by people who basically weren’t born when JLo was starting to be huge. I bet many needed to google who Christina Milian and Ashanti even are.

I will also never understand the urge to get attention by putting celebrities down. At least focus on the ones who are actually terrible people, like a specific JLo ex for example.

I don't know, once you cemented a reputation of being shitty to the 'little people' in the service industry, it's bound to come back to bite you. That story about her taking back the tip Ben gave to a service worker wasn't that long ago. For comparison's sake, Mariah's diva antics used to be just as notorious, but she was able to live it down and pass it off as 'camp' thanks to her sense of humor, her sheer talent and the fact she had a very public meltdown, which played a factor in the GP extending her some grace. Jen doesn't really have that to fall back on, she got some renewed goodwill during the Hustlers era which she wasted on those streamer movies. She just can't help her ambitions, spreading herself amongst movies, music, brand deals etc. when she only needed one thing to stick. She's not gonna win over the naysayers with new music, but she might with, say, an HBO prestige limited series.

I wouldn’t say she wasted any goodwill when Shotgun Wedding and The Mother did well for Amazon and Netflix. The latter is in the top 10 most watched Netflix movies of all time.
There’s nothing wrong with her being ambitious and wanting to do all sorts of things, she’s talented and clearly enjoys it.
There’s also the fact that so many of these stories smell of made up nonsense people use to get clout.

Although at the end of the day she will remain a multimillionaire with a bunch of awards and milestones whilst these people can only scramble to get a couple clicks on tik tok using her name in the hopes of paying their share of their mothers rent for that month.

I wouldn’t say she wasted any goodwill when Shotgun Wedding and The Mother did well for Amazon and Netflix. The latter is in the top 10 most watched Netflix movies of all time.
Were they nominated for any awards? She got a Golden Globe nom for Hustlers and was campaigning for Oscars, and then just gave up and signed up for the generic commercial movies for an easy paycheck. That was the perfect time for her to step up her acting career but the momentum has passed. Yes it was wasted. In ten years people will remember her role in Hustlers but not Marry Me.

Also the possibility of her being a terrible person behind the scenes should not affect someone's stanning of her by the way. You don't have to convince yourself that it's all made up. Did Heather Morris make up the story of her cutting dancers from auditions simply for being Virgos for clout? Plenty of Swifties accept the fact she's a total sociopath and still manage to enjoy her music. It's not black and white and that's fine.

Last edited:
Were they nominated for any awards? She got a Golden Globe nom for Hustlers and was campaigning for Oscars, and then just gave up and signed up for the generic commercial movies for an easy paycheck. That was the perfect time for her to step up her acting career but the momentum has passed. Yes it was wasted. In ten years people will remember her role in Hustlers but not Marry Me.

Also the possibility of her being a terrible person behind the scenes should not affect someone's stanning of her by the way. You don't have to convince yourself that it's all made up. Did Heather Morris make up the story of her cutting dancers from auditions simply for being Virgos for clout? Plenty of Swifties accept the fact she's a total sociopath and still manage to enjoy her music. It's not black and white and that's fine.
Other than Hustlers and Selena when has she been been one of those actresses who was getting those kinds of roles and recognition though? Her movie choices never struck me as those of someone who is angling for an Oscar. There’s more to life than being nominated for awards. Yeah she campaigned hard for Hustlers but she didn’t sign up for it because she thought it would get her an Oscar.

I don’t say it’s all made up either. But seeing so many “I heard from my mums dentists niece that she is a horrible person” doesn’t exactly scream legit does it? I never once said she was perfect or that she hasn’t had moments of being a diva. But I’m not going to sit and believe very single story I see or think she is the devil incarnate.

I just don't know why she is getting the hate and it being so prominent. Everyone has an off day here and there and she wouldn't be the first nor the last to be 'horrible'. For all we know, all these supposed 'incidents' could may well be revenge from someone incompetent at their job and being told they need to sort their shit out/some insistent fan desperate to get a moment despite being told no, etc.

She's not just an artist/actress, she's also a boss of her own brand. If you're shit at your job, I'd sure hell hope she tells you.

He/Him
Yeah, I hate that this movie being bad is giving people another excuse to pile on, because Jennifer is absolutely not what makes it bad.

She's not just an artist/actress, she's also a boss of her own brand. If you're shit at your job, I'd sure hell hope she tells you.
These private airport anecdotes are the most recent ones that surfaced. Clearly came from some auntie who wanted to vent, not for clout or monetization.

It does make me wonder: why is it easier for us to accept Ellen is a nightmare of a person to work with behind the scenes but not someone like J.Lo?

Last edited:
I just don't see the point in pushing this narrative in here? Free discussion for all of course, and people can express if she's not your thing, but it feels a bit counter productive on a topic for the artist? There are artists I can't stand, but I wouldn't go into their thread and post random engagement-farming negative posts about them.

It feels bandwagon'ey to me, especially when there is enough of a dogpile online without it seeping in here.

Last edited: