Jennifer Lopez

S

someboy0716

Do we even need a thread on Jennifer Lopez? 'Do It Well' was a good single, but she commands about 1/50 of the attention that she used to.

vasilios said:
She canceled on 20.000 Greek people back in 2006 and that ill-fated 6th rate European countries tour.

God I didn't know she'd ever even announced a European tour! I went to a meeting at SonyBMG once (oooh get me etc) and they were tearing their hair out that every time she looked close to touring/promoting properly, she'd get offered a film role which would pay 10 times the money for one tenth the work!

P

paul lekakis

No wonder she started Touring after her movie career was in the dumper...
Wouldn't mind a DVD of that "EL Concierto" tour.

Do we even need a thread on Jennifer Lopez? 'Do It Well' was a good single, but she commands about 1/50 of the attention that she used to.

I searched the message board, but everything that came up were random Album/Single/Videoclip threads, so I though one all encompassing topic to put every news in would be enough.

I feel if she put some real effort into returning to music, it could be very good once again. The whole "Brave" campaign seemed very lazy, though obviously getting pregnant wasn't planned (or was it?).

I agree that she should be performing the original mix of "Waiting For Tonight". I don't 'get' the fascination over the Hex Momentous Mix. It's not THAT good.

Why was she performing in Russia? How random!

S

someboy0716

I'm not sure if she planned getting pregnant at the time, but I believe she really wanted to at the time.

Why didn't she always sing live? She'd have gained a lot more respect if she had. Instead most presumed it was because she couldn't sing, when she's got a great voice.

ScottStar said:
I don't think she ever sang live and sounded any good. If she did, you can guarantee it was prerecorded!
She gave some great live promo performances for the 'Brave' album and her spanish language album, like on Dancing With The Stars.

I'd say the Let's Get Loud performance posted above was live too.

P

paul lekakis

All of these performances are live, there's an amazing performance of "Do It Well" on Fashion Rocks which is totally live and she hit all notes, and another one of "Ain't It Funny" which is live here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9qnlYb3udWY

She is capable of singing. Doesn't have the greatest voice on earth, but her reputation is unfair...

S

someboy0716

RhythmNative said:
Why didn't she always sing live? She'd have gained a lot more respect if she had. Instead most presumed it was because she couldn't sing, when she's got a great voice.

Maybe she wasn't comfortable with it early on in her career and it was more of a confidence issue, because I was definitely shocked when I saw her Fashion Rocks performance of 'Do It Well' which was totally ace and I sat there thinking, "Wait, Jennifer Lopez can sing live?"

I wasn't really a J.Lo fan 'til a couple of years ago and presumed her to be a lip syncer, but she actually can deliver very good LIVE performances. She knows how to use her voice well.

It's a pity this album didn't take off as I think Brave could have been a big hit. I know she was preggers and all that, but you know. Plus I think Hold It Don't Drop It was one of her best. It's a pretty solid (if slightly dated) album.

Weezerfan said:
vasilios said:
She canceled on 20.000 Greek people back in 2006 and that ill-fated 6th rate European countries tour.

God I didn't know she'd ever even announced a European tour! I went to a meeting at SonyBMG once (oooh get me etc) and they were tearing their hair out that every time she looked close to touring/promoting properly, she'd get offered a film role which would pay 10 times the money for one tenth the work!

That's the problem. She was so determined to pursue both careers that her heart wasn't fully in either of them, and both went down the tubes as a result. As you say, her film work prevented her from touring as she should have; meanwhile her lack of focus led to a series of poor film choices.

All that said - Brave is by far the best album she has ever made.

F

freshmucker

As I was reading this thread, "I'm Real" came on my iTunes. Spooky....

A Jennifer Lopez Greatest Hits would definitely be an album worth buying.

As for why she always performs the Hex Hector remix of Waiting For Tonight (it's Momentous!) - perhaps this quote from Hex explains it a litle bit:

"It's funny how life always comes full circle," Hex says. "In the very early Nineties at China Club, I met a friendly, young, energetic girl. We became club friends, eventually exchanging numbers. This girl would always want me to put her and her sister on the guest list, [and] I always did. That girl turned out to be Jennifer Lopez. Now, ten years later, I wind up getting a Grammy for a song I remixed her, and appeared with her as her DJ on Saturday Night Live. I appreciate the fact that she never forgot about me after all those years."

Speaking of... anyone remember this clip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kMnJUUIFdQ

F

freshmucker

Well, she is real.

I seem to remember that the contestants on "American Idol" season 6 praised her for being the friendliest and most supportive guest mentor... clear evidence of her not bitchness. Ha!

S

someboy0716

She's an entertainer, I think she played the bitch/diva card for all it's worth and because it worked so well with her fiery, Latina persona that she crafted for herself.