Jenny Berggren - 'Here I Am'

Wow. Despite concerns that she was going to come out with a rather MOR record, Jenny Berggren of Ace of Base is actually launching her (proper) solo career with a very good pop song. It's VERY Ace of Base too, so I can't imagine any of her fans being disappointed with it.

I've listened to it quite a few times now and I'm really, really impressed.

http://www.scandipop.co.uk/?p=2414

popknark

A great improvement from her 'teaser song'. This could actually work really well on Swedish radio. Modern schlager-esque pop, with some '90s dance elements here and there.

What a nice surprise! Thanks for bringing it to our attention, especially after the intense discussion about Jenny yesterday.

Right_Direction said:
Osiris said:
I can't get the song to play...

I'm having the same trouble.

Though must be said, she's looking hot on the single cover.

I edited my post... It's just that the player isn't linking to the right show.

Here's a new link:
http://sverigesradio.se/webbradio/?type=db&Id=2329017&BroadcastDate=&IsBlock=0

The station didn't receive the song well, calling it a flop but another station has named it song of the week, so... Ace of Base were never really popular in their own country anyway.

Thanks Osiris & popknark, got it playing now.

It's not bad on the first listen, she sounds good.

I will need to listen more to really gage more of an opinion on it.

It sounds very interresting. I really like this, more than "Free Me". It could do well in Sweden I think.

absintheboy said:
What a nice surprise!

Indeed! That's what I kept thinking most whilst listening to it. I don't think anyone was expecting her to come out with a non apologetic pop song.

Osiris said:
Ace of Base were never really popular in their own country anyway.

Hmmm....I'd always heard that too. But since moving to Sweden a few months back, and asking friends about it, it appears that that was just a myth all along (that they never achieved the success at home that they did abroad). The second and fourth albums were flops, but they were flops all over the world too. I don't think the third album did that well either, but then that was only a moderate success in the UK anyway. But the first album was a big success here, as it was in every country. Everyone knows the two big singles from it, and it appears that there is a lot of affection for them over here, as you'd expect. And pride too.

T

Tommie

scandipop said:
Hmmm....I'd always heard that too. But since moving to Sweden a few months back, and asking friends about it, it appears that that was just a myth all along (that they never achieved the success at home that they did abroad). The second and fourth albums were flops, but they were flops all over the world too. I don't think the third album did that well either, but then that was only a moderate success in the UK anyway. But the first album was a big success here, as it was in every country. Everyone knows the two big singles from it, and it appears that there is a lot of affection for them over here, as you'd expect. And pride too.

Pretty much this. I never knew people thought they were flops here.

D

Deleted member 312

On first listen it's very nice indeed. I'm glad she's gone for a more pure pop sound closer to AOB's last two albums rather than the dub/reggae/pop of the first (which besides The Sign and Wheel Of Fortune I never really cared for).

scandipop said:
absintheboy said:
What a nice surprise!

Indeed! That's what I kept thinking most whilst listening to it. I don't think anyone was expecting her to come out with a non apologetic pop song.

Osiris said:
Ace of Base were never really popular in their own country anyway.

I wasn't talking about sales but credibility and public perception.

F

funk2funk

This is nice, but hit? I dont think so...
Hopefully her album will come out in the end, would be nice to have a solo album from her ;)

As a huge Ace Of Base fan, I wasn't expecting to hear such familiarity in her sound. You can almost imagine it as a natural continuation of the music they left behind in 2002 with Da Capo, were it not for the other layers of meaning in her lyrics.

I'm relieved!

It'll be very curious to see how it continues to get received in Sweden, and even more curious still to see how she reacts. Jenny's made perfect use of Twitter and Facebook for this go-around and seems to speak from the heart, for good and bad.

Well I'm a big AoB fan (obv) but this is just okay. I'm more excited to hear what Jonas and Ulf come up with the new 2 singers. Put it this way, if this had been an AoB comeback single I'd be HUGELY disappointed. It's just nothing special at all.