Jess Glynne - General Direness | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum

Jess Glynne - General Direness

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by swim, Jul 29, 2020.

1. But also gave us Jessie Ware to compensate!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2022
  2. The best way I can describe Jess Glynne is an unbuttered piece of toast - flavourless.

Doesn't do anything for me and never has. I wish I hadn't pressed play on that Break My Soul video dd

michaelhird, Andrew, Mr.Arroz and 6 others like this.
  3. Her only decent feature was Route 94’s My Love!

4. Quite simply because she’s the blandest form of bland. Music made for the aisles of Tesco (or Jet2) that will be eaten up by mums and cared for by no one. There isn’t anything distinct about her ‘artistry’ - it’s just vanilla and dull.

Then, you add in her personality, or lack thereof. From the Sexy Fish fiasco in the midst of a pandemic to her general lack of self awareness, she doesn’t even sell it on that front. So why would people follow her? She’s neither endearing or humorous.

And trust me, her attitude is just as ugly and unappealing in person. I’ve had the misfortune of seeing the Sexy Fish Anarchist twice, once at an event and the other opening for the spice girls and both times she looked miserable, bored and irritated to be there. Given the latter was opening for one of the biggest acts of all time on their stadium tour, you’d think Jess would seem excited to be there. If anything, she looked as though it was all beneath her.

Truly in contention with jeZy nelson for the least likeable pop artist of recent times.

jawow_, IfUSeekAmy, Mr.Arroz and 9 others like this.
  6. god I still remember seeing that title for the first time and wondering who on her team hated her enough to let her keep it. The self drag. I yelped.

snoho, fancygreen, londonrain and 3 others like this.
  7. I'd happily keep her as a songwriter and featured artist on the occasional faceless dance bop, dd.

londonrain and POPGASM like this.
  8. Her phrasing on that BREAK MY SOUL "cover" makes me even more appreciative of Beyoncé

9. Socials are gunning for her this time and she's not even properly launched a comeback yet. This era is going to be carnage and... I'm living.

[​IMG]

10. A karmic curse was placed on her the moment she uttered the words ‘what is Future Nostalgia’

[​IMG]

11. Is there even any point in her releasing new music? Becky Hill has surely taken her place as the GPs new go to person for faceless, generic dance bops

12. What goes up, must come down. And I am very excited to see how this will play out. Her 15 minutes are up!

[​IMG]

97williamsb and Ferk like this.
  13. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Can't unhear Jess on Break My Soul now, I hope she's happy.

14. I can just about shut out Jess singing it, but barely...

Mvnl likes this.
  15. I'm so sorry for your loss. You're so brave. Stay strong bb <3

16. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

It’s sending me that the Break My Soul cover is her only Instagram post and… she’s turned comments off on it.

17. The way she makes literally every single syllable of this sound absolutely diabolical. Talent!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  18. What exactly broke your soul Jess people rightfully calling you out for your classist and transphobic behaviour or just your music being basic, bargain-bin generic shit?

19. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Dddd @2014 this thread title change.

I still remember when Rather Be came out and I was genuinely excited for her music. I even bought her first album on CD but I honestly can’t remember 90% of it now.

If she genuinely wants to make interesting music with Roc Nation, that would be nice, but I haven’t seen any indication from her that she has the taste or good judgement to deliver a truly great album where she’s the driving creative force. And making a cover of Break My Soul into an Instagram video as an attempt at a viral moment isn’t changing that opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.