Jessie Ware - “Lift You Up” + 6th Album

I love this, and I don't think she's repeating herself at all. The connection between this single and the previous two albums stops at the high BPM, since nothing on What's Your Pleasure or That Feels Good sounds straight up like 90s house. I know I'm in the minority when I say I think she excels at the dancey stuff better than at the watered down, AC radio, Jess Glynne adjacent music she was prone to release before, even though her debut is still her best album, only seconded by What's Your Pleasure.

I'm bored by the new track, but is there a bit of internalized homophobia / snobbery embedded in my reaction to her leaning into the basic gay / house music retreads?

What's Your Pleasure had both sophistication and sleekness but also warmth and playfulness. I do like That! Feels Good, but it leans into kitschiness. IDK. My favorite Jessie songs are "Overtime" and "Mirage (Don't Stop)" -- I want more hypnotic shit from her.

Loved her Glasto set - great energy all around and nice to have essentially a pro recording of the tour show.
I am quite surprised how heavily What's Your Pleasure has been shortened though.

I'm bored by the new track, but is there a bit of internalized homophobia / snobbery embedded in my reaction to her leaning into the basic gay / house music retreads?

What's Your Pleasure had both sophistication and sleekness but also warmth and playfulness. I do like That! Feels Good, but it leans into kitschiness. IDK. My favorite Jessie songs are "Overtime" and "Mirage (Don't Stop)" -- I want more hypnotic shit from her.
Yeah I kinda hope this is the end of her Stuart Price collabs.

Oh yes, I’m loving the new song. It feels celebratory and vibrant! The hook is so catchy and Jessie sounds so so good. Romy too, I love their voices together! This is nothing like Pearls (which I do like though). I can understand people feeling like this is “more of the same”. But I think she does this type of sound so ridiculously well and I still feel like she’s giving us some sonic shifts, although subtle. This feels like a perfect marriage of What’s Your Pleasure? And That! Feels Good!

I can’t wait for the new album.

he/him
Absolutely adore this, the call and response 'they say listen Jessie/Romy' hook in the prechorus especially gives me that buzz.

She seems to be really BELTING on the new material rather than using the much more stylised sing-talky vocals that were prominent across the bangers on TFG.

Also "a bit too Beautiful People"... can't relate.