Jesy Nelson - Boyz (feat. Nicki Minaj) | Page 209 | The Popjustice Forum

Jesy Nelson - Boyz (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Felp, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Not a blacklisted problematic popgirl impression I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_

2. I was not prepared for a drag like that to come from NPR of all places.

3. They say I did something baaaaaddddd
    But why's it feel so bad²... bad²

4. This is why I said before that think Jesy's issues with the industry were possibly misplaced and weren't as much down to being in a girl group as she may have thought.

Not only is her image under public scrutiny right now, but her vocals are now being criticised, which is something she's probably never had to deal with on a large scale being in Little Mix, and I imagine if her vocals and/or performance ability is continued to be dragged, she may find it even harder given it's her passion and drive.

5. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

That's why you show respect to where you began; why you show deference. It humbles you before your assumed new audience and your previous fanbase. She's just not smart enough to have courted that. She's a bit dense and it's also obscured by self-victimization via Black appropriation. She has more gall... than natural lip - funny that!

[​IMG]

White people would get up and perform this way, to make fun of our natural features in the late 1800s...until now. And Jesy thinks imma stay off her ass? My ancestors didn't get assaulted, beat, lynched, and discriminated against for you to be like, lol I love Black culture! This is my year-round Halloween costume! I will always stand with Leigh-Anne. To "love" Black culture is to understand YET realize that being white will always leave you outside it. You can have 1,000,000 Black friends and will always be a spectator. She makes me sick.

And btw, the practice of overdrawing your lips comes directly from Blackface. You're literally dumb.

sesita, Jonathan27, TRAVVV and 56 others like this.
  6. Was just looking at her Spotify page and it made me crack up that her bio is just ‘#Boyz’ like yes there isn’t much to say for yourself at the moment is there?

7. The wording of this tweet makes it read like blackfishing, as messy as it is, isn’t even the biggest problem she’s facing with - which I think is such a burn against her artistry. It’s almost them saying “Ok you’re being part of the problem - but cant you at least deliver?”

9. I wonder how many streams are Minaj fans?

10. The fact she got her manager’s other main client (Alison Goldfrapp)’s wife to direct an expensive video for her debut solo single and the director hasn’t made another video since... iconic.

Laurence, Fuchsia, sexercise and 5 others like this.
  11. Mollie creeping into other threads? And people say she has no talent!

lushLuck, sesita, TRAVVV and 47 others like this.
  12. Na na na na na na na na na - Hair Down is iconic. It’s oblivion from streaming services is nothing short of amazing

Wishlight, goldfish, sfmartin and 3 others like this.
  13. That article was spot on though. The baby vocals and slurring/poor intonation being dialled up to 11 makes the song unlistenable.

Duppe, superloves and londonrain like this.
  14. The Hair Down saga is so iconic and so important.

15. Now, Mollie King may not be ruling the pop world and probably isn’t the best of vocalists, but unlike Jesy, she’s actually a nice person and has a consistent gig working for one of UK’s biggest radio stations.

Jesy has… a staged ‘friendship’ with Nicki Minaj.

16. I’ve felt conflicted about Jesy since the promo for her solo career started. She blames others for crucifying her because of the way she looks (mind you, much of her complaints are valid), and yet, when she’s finally freed from her so called shackles, the first thing she did is to be a really unappealing version of the person that her trolls criticised her for failing to be? I can’t articulate it, but the whole thing just feels wrong. And that’s even before we think about the other more important stuff. I had wanted her to do well, but now, the kindest thing I can say about her is that she lacks reflexivity. Ugh.

MisterD, Elysium and megaudc like this.
  17. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Half expecting Jesy to pull out of Graham Norton (unless it’s already been filmed) - a subpar performance would officially be the final nail in her “career.”

18. Would be the smartest decision of this whole campaign to pull out! She’s created a lose-lose situation for herself, where it doesn’t matter, if she tones her whole aesthetic down or stays “true to herself”. Both will be used against her. Understandably and rightfully.

19. I think she is a very capable radio broadcaster.

blaze_dave, goldfish, jonny and 2 others like this.
  20. She's not even getting a one off play at the radio station where I work as a host (in Germany, it's a CHR comparable to Capital). Actually getting playlisted is out of question. Also has to do with the fact that our people in charge of playlisting saw some of the messiness.

"Kiss My (Uh Oh)" and "Heartbreak Anthem" both got playlisted and did decently enough on the German airplay chart.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.