Jesy Nelson - Solo Music | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Jesy Nelson - Solo Music

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Felp, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Let's stop policing her choices (seriously, the woman is 29, how about putting a bit of faith in her own judgment) and second-guessing her state of mind and instead trust that she's in a better place. I'm not buying this "concern" for her wellbeing from people who are clearly just pressed about what happened.

Crisp X, aniraz, PopCrushed and 20 others like this.
  2. It will undoubtedly be lesser though. From how she speaks about the Sweet Melody shoot, I'm sure even just seeing herself constantly photographed with three women she was made to feel inferior than with the bullying is massively triggering.

scottdisick94, Redout and Jasper47 like this.
  3. Leigh, Perrie and Jade are three very slim woman with a similar body type. Ever since they've performed without Jesy, people have commented in the LM thread how great they look as a three piece. Visually Jesy always stood out. If she tells us, that being in a girl group was hard for her and led to her being unhappy we should be believe her. I can totally sympathize with her.

Troylovesmusic likes this.
  4. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I root for Jesy hard but this thread always has an "off" energy.

5. Different kind of comparisons though (even though they’re still not warranted).

She has had to film music videos, go for fittings, photo shoots, performances with the anxiety of being next to 3 other girls that she felt, visually, she stuck out from.

As a solo artist, she’s doing all those things on her own and only has to think for herself only and not what she’ll worry she looks like next to 3 others.

6. See, I genuinely never saw this. Yes, Jesy was slightly curvier than the other girls, but it's not like she was a size 16 and the others a 6. And whilst Perrie, Jade and Leigh do have a similar build, all four of them are very different aesthetically, so Jesy never stood out to me at all (except for the fact that she arguably had the most stage presence).

kingbm, timothy_b and PopAndRock like this.
  7. She probably stood out to managers, label people etc though. Who then made her life hard by forcing diets on her.

8. Yeah, it’s pretty clear that having three other girls physically on every single set, photoshoot and studio she has ever been on is going to be a much more present threat to her mental health than any hypothetical other pop star. It seems like Jesy is in a very good place and I’m happy for her. I’m excited for the solo material!

The BRITS comment felt a little weird. I think it’s pretty clear that things are a bit sour between the two camps, which is understandable. The entire situation can’t have been easy for anyone.

9. What BRITS comment?

10. In the video interview she said one of her biggest aspirations is to perform at the Brits on her own and to win a Brit on her own. Nothing wrong with that I guess but it did make me oop a bit just because their Brit wins and performances as a collective over the years has been such a big part of their narrative.

Disclaimer I am not saying she said anything wrong! It just literally made me oop!

PopCrushed and PopAndRock like this.
  11. I thought Little Ella's stopped stanning Little Mix but they did not age mentally at all? Darn.

12. Oh! I had no idea Jesy was planning on releasing solo music. Super excited for it!! I love her voice.

Jasper47 likes this.
  13. She honestly seems like a completely different person in that interview in the best way possible. I am really glad that she is in a better place and I feel in the long run especially both sides will be far happier.

I guess it does tell us all we need to know and although understandable, I do find it really sad how she didn’t want to comment on her current relationship with the girls.

Mvnl likes this.
  14. Some of the comments on the last couple of pages when Jesy literally had to reiterate this point in the interview published today:

JESY: I feel like there have been a few people who don’t understand why I left Little Mix, but am now in the studio making music. A lot of people said,“I thought you came out of the band to focus on your mental health?” I never said when I put out my statement that I was coming out of the band to never be in the public eye or perform again, or do music. I said I was coming out of the band because I genuinely couldn’t deal with the pressure of being in a girl band.

For people to think that I would just stop working completely is crazy, because[for] me, working on my mental health is going to the studio, and creating music that I love. That’s what clears my head and makes me happy. It’s good for my mental health. I couldn’t deal with the pressure of being in the girl group. It wasn’t that I couldn’t deal with the pressure of being in the spotlight. I was constantly compared to three other girls and that mentally drove me to a really dark place, and I couldn’t put myself through that any more.

I need to do things that make me happy now, and people might think that’s selfish, but sometimes in life you have to put yourself first, you have to love yourself, and do what makes you happy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 8:30 PM
    Overdose, Crisp X, aniraz and 17 others like this.
  15. That's a very good point. Super sad if that was the case.

What I find most upsetting about the whole thing is the thought that Jesy was miserable throughout her entire 9 years in the group. Obviously there were highs as well as lows but to think that there was an underlying sadness the whole time when to the outside world she looked to be living her absolute best life is so so sad.

16. She does say near the start of that interview that there's a lot of worse things than good being in the spotlight, so I can see why people are confused and asking why she's jumping straight back into this industry if it affects her so badly.
    I just hope she is happy and won't be knocked back when releasing solo material when she still faces criticism as mirroring what others have said, she'll still be compared to other singers.

But as a long term fan there's something definitely off about the whole situation, because I've always seen them as genuinely close friends and not just coworkers.
    I mean not publicly leaving a message on your band mate of ten year's pregnancy announcement when Jesy's been so active on social media lately is strange.
    Also Jesy saying she wants to be around supportive people, whilst the Little Mix girls keep avoiding the question around Jesy's departure as respecting her decision but wanting a 'positive' year.

kingbm and BritPopLover like this.
  17. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

That's sad indeed, because before the documentary we thought she was 'doing fine', then she woke us up.. then we thought she was in a better place, turns out.. not so much.
    Very sad (for her) and I guess it also makes some of us (me) question ourselves a little because you think you know how someone's doing and you can be completely off (not that hard if you only see someone on tv, but still). I hope the more happy Jesy we're seeing in that interview is finally a Jesy that is actually doing fine.

claire_louise likes this.
  18. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I can imagine the other 3 feeling let down, trying their hardest to be supportive of her, being there for her through tough times, only for her to leave after all. That's 100% her decision to make, and seemingly a wise one, but I can imagine it makes you feel like 'did we compromise/put in the effort for this?'. Possibly even feeling hurt from a place of 'apparently what we did wasn't enough'. Being annoyed or like 'I'm over it' is easier than feeling powerless. But that's a whole lot of speculating. Main point is: even if they had a great relationship, these past few months can't have been easy for any of them and sometimes 'getting yourself out of the situation' is the easiest way to deal with it. And that might not only apply to Jesy.

19. I’ve always held on to the fact she never thanked Jade, Perrie and Leigh Anne during her NTA’S speech. I found it very... odd.

20. I don’t know. Jesy re-sharing a post from Holly from Geordie Shore that says “hi I’m” rather than “hi we’re” - so powerful” on the day your band mate and friend of 10 years has announced their pregnancy.

Girl please.

BritPopLover likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.