Jesy Nelson (...) | Page 194 | The Popjustice Forum

Jesy Nelson (...)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Felp, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Tune

girlsaloudjunkie and neinzedd like this.
  2. Poor her! She’s been envisioning this performance since her early hood days in Romford.

Wishlight, Elysium, ItBeats and 8 others like this.
  3. Wouldn't that make it worse? Basically showing the people she loves black culture but won’t hire black male dancers? It’s also a weird damage control tactic to have her dance to this US Hip-Hop early 00s inspired mess with just white dancers.

blaze_dave and Daszek like this.
  4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

She pretty much backed herself into a 'can't win' corner now hasn't she?
    Anything she'll do next will either scream 'damage control!' or 'she's just making it worse'

sesita, Wishlight, Elysium and 10 others like this.
  5. And she fully got into that situation by herself and I honestly hope that it finally gives her some food for thought…

6. This kinda vibe

[​IMG]

7. We don’t have the same definition of breaking news…

8. Probably to just ease up on the blackfishing and acknowledging it, by apologising to Leigh-Anne.

I would also try and send another buzz single to quickly steer away from the Boyz controversy.

9. The thing is, I'm not sure her team is too worried about it as long as the numbers remain steady. I was expecting the song to plummet across the board given the reaction in here but in the UK it's still sitting at #5 on iTunes, #8 on Apple Music, and it moved up to #16 on Spotify today. What's hard to tell is if the controversy is working to her advantage, or if the majority of people just don't care or know about any of this. I'd imagine it's a mix of the two.

10. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Staff Member

I think if she was able to see past her image issues (with herself) and understand that her response to self loathing is to pivot into blackness and for that she is wrong, apologise for that specifically with a pledge to do better and a public apology to Leigh-Anne she’d be fine, honestly. She’s created an enormous mess for herself but the fix is pretty straight forward, the only obstacle is her own vanity.

megaudc, sesita, Wishlight and 14 others like this.
  11. Why does this look like Keira Knightley

Wishlight, Elysium, Jacques and 9 others like this.
  12. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

what.

lushLuck, myblood, Bobbyrae and 66 others like this.
  13. I think the longer the whole situation drags on, the more people will go to listen to the song and watch the video, just to see what all the fuss is about, and ultimately a portion of them are going to like and enjoy the song. So if they keep fanning the flames, it could end up having quite a bit of longevity.

14. Honestly the general public won't stop streaming her song because of what she's done. The harm will be more significant towards her actual fanbase which was mostly composed by Little Mix fans who, I hope, are no longer her fans.

Unless radio turns their back on her, only the second single's performance will tell what will happen to her career.

Everything I've heard about her debut is that it's mostly made of terrible songs though. Have a couple of friends who've heard some tracks.

15. The second single is apparently the one used in the era trailer and the one which the small snippets she posted come from.

16. The only black culture Jessy grew up with is seen through a late 90’s nickelodeon filter.

It’s all very Sister Sister and Fresh Prince of Bel Air, drop her deep into the projects and she would run a mile.

I also detest that she uses mental health as a get out jail card. Mental Health is a spectrum we all deal with different issues just like physical health. I don’t think she understands this nuance and sees her battles as almost making her different and special, where are her thoughts and compassion with her Black fan base and Leigh- Anne’s mental health the last few days? Nowhere to be seen.

Tragic that her frail ego and shallow narcissism has turned her into a bully.

17. lushLuck, myblood, TRAVVV and 38 others like this.

18. A bad boy for the playlist

TRAVVV, Wishlight and AllRed like this.
  19. Boyz is predicted to debut at #100 in the US. Republic seems to be giving it a push on US Radio too:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.