Jesy Nelson (...) | Page 206 | The Popjustice Forum

Jesy Nelson (...)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Felp, Feb 16, 2021.

1. The more I think about the events of the last week the more I realise how genuinely sad it all is. I hope Leigh is doing well & has been able to ignore most of this. I also hope Jesy is left out of any & all Little Mix projects forever, she just doesn’t deserve it after all of this ugliness.

tea, scottdisick94, myblood and 11 others like this.
  2. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Jesy losing practically all goodwill after just 1 song.........the struggle.

3. It's hard to call how this will do in the next few weeks but I highly doubt it'll bomb from here on out. I expect Polydor will throw money to rectify it should that outcome look possible (like they do with Mabel). It'll hang around the top 20 for a while though I'm sure they expected a bigger opening week (34,000 seems low when you consider the attention the song got).

I think we'll see some distance between Boyz and the second single. They'll want a decent amount of space to let the controversy die down, probably in hopes that she'll have a drama free rollout but when you consider how she's handled the last week.. I don't see that happening.

myblood, Dijah., Wishlight and 9 others like this.
  4. Stans and chart watchers are predicting that Adele might prevent Boyz from debuting on the Hot 100 if the couple of hours where the song was available yesterday were enough for it to debut in the lower half of the chart.

5. Yeah, I feel like they’ll let this do whatever it does and then try again in 6 months with an image overhaul. It’ll probably be diminishing returns, but thats the only real option here. That’s even if she wants to continue trying the solo route. I don’t want to victimize her in this situation but a massive public backlash probably doesn’t have her feeling good right now.

nooniebao likes this.
  6. I actually disagree about the image overhaul. If she’s continued to play this up for several months now, I really doubt she’ll change.

Sleepycat and sexercise like this.
  7. If she changes her image now, it was never really “authentically her” and she essentially admits to black fishing or she remains ignorant and continues on with diminishing returns and a train of hate. It’s really a lose-lose situation and I love that for her.

8. Adele had made me forget Jesy even has a song out and I hope the GP follows suit

sesita, GimmeWork, Laurence and 16 others like this.
  9. Everybody say thank you Adele.

10. RJF

RJF

This is… the most scalding of tea tbh.

11. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

At least admitting to blackfishing would be some sort of growth.

12. We won’t be when her album drowns Between Us.

YourLeadSinger likes this.
  13. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

We will when it outperforms =.

14. Is it possible that we have a more exaggerated view in our forum bubble and that it’s not all that bad for Jesy in terms of good will? Outside of this forum there are fans ‘the baddies’ () defending her. Plus she still had sales that got her to #4 and millions of views on her video that were not all curiousity views.

15. Does anyone actually think this is possible? God knows I hope it is, but she's so totally embroiled in this victim mentality and thinking that the haters are simply trying to stop her being her 'authentic self' that to back down now seems unlikely.

16. Most of it will have been curiosity, honestly. We won’t know for sure until next week of course, but when the BBC news starts talking about your controversy it’s…it’s not good.

17. I think that's a given honestly, but as Kaz said, this has gone past the level of similar controversies around Camila or Ariana and made it to the BBC, the Telegraph, and so on and so forth, so at the least, it's a big enough deal to put a major dent in things.

sesita, 1outside, shindymindy and 8 others like this.
  18. I’d say with all the headlines and press she’s gotten over this, being only #4 points more towards a flash in the pan situation. The UK Faddie, if you will.

19. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Also, it's a very bad sign that the #4 placing is mostly propped up by sales, with poor streaming figures meaning she isn't even in the top ten of the streaming chart even with all this controversy. If sales drop next week (and a second-week sales drop is normal even with the best rollout in the world) she's going to need much better streaming figures to keep her in the top ten... and there's no real evidence that that's happening at the moment, even with her being added to the Hot Hits UK playlist on Spotify (although at the moment she's way down at #28 on that playlist, so who knows who's even getting that far when they stream that playlist?)

She's not on Today's Top Hits, which is easily the most followed playlist on Spotify, so maybe if she gets a spot on that... but why would she be added now?

20. This was always going to debut high as there is natural curiosity whenever somebody leaves a popular boy/girl group and releases their first solo single, it is in no way indicative of overall goodwill towards that person or future chart performance (see: Liam Payne).

lushLuck, GimmeWork, Attis and 21 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.